X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    While true it seems that anyone who wants to talk to you can speak English- there are some people that you may want to speak to who do not
    This is true in my experience. Also, if you're in a foreign country, I've found that I've had more success getting locals to talk in (some) English if I open with whatever the local language is. France, particularly, but applies elsewhere as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      This is true in my experience. Also, if you're in a foreign country, I've found that I've had more success getting locals to talk in (some) English if I open with whatever the local language is. France, particularly, but applies elsewhere as well.
      Google Translate?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Although I was talking to someone at a conference who was from Singapore and he thought it was pointless to learn another language if you were a native English speaker...
        Except the French. We world travelers call it The Griswold Effect.

Comment

Made it over the MDL and back today. Saw only one Nork soldier, and from a pretty healthy distance.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Google Translate?
            it takes too long and isn't very good. I find that in the cities, and interacting with people who tourists normally interact with, English is pretty easy. Out of the cities, or with people who do not normally talk with tourists, is where the problem is. I use NEMO as an app that can say a phrase that I want to say and I can find it quickly. I also agree a few words of the local language such as, hello, good morning, please, excuse me, etc. makes a world of difference in how you are viewed and the subsequent quality of service you receive.
            I'd say it's also really important to say thank you and good bye afterwards, and in the local language if possible. I mean how hard is it to say "Chou" to someone as you leave.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Mookie just came across The Pilot

Sold out of course
              But want to give a try
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

It makes a lot of sense to start them on a foreign language early. Once your brain is wired to be bilingual it's easier to pick up other languages. Our school does French as the only foreign language starting in 1st grade (was 3rd when my son started) through 8th grade, and then in High School they can choose other languages.

Although I was talking to someone at a conference who was from Singapore and he thought it was pointless to learn another language if you were a native English speaker...
                Seeing things like that now make me disappointed that the schools I went to (guessing pretty much any school at the time) didn't have foreign language until high school, and even then the three big ones were French, Spanish, and German. My high school DID have Russian and Japanese, but you had to have 3 years AND a certain GPA in those previously mentioned classes to get into those latter classes. I ended up with 3 years of French and 1 in Russian. Kind of wish I kept with it on my own after high school.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  I remember one time we were visiting family in Trois Riviers Quebec (not somewhere tourists normally go) and had car trouble. The mechanic said he didn’t speak English but after a few minutes of talking to my mother in French he decided English would be easier (my mother grew up in a French speaking home— but my grandparents stopped speaking French to her at home when she was pretty young because they wanted her to be a Anglophone).

I’ve been in restaurants in continental Europe where, for example the French couple at the next table speaks English with their Dutch waitress to order. English really is the Universal language, which is great for us. In rural places things get a little more dicey.

Comment

I remember one time we were visiting family in Trois Riviers Quebec (not somewhere tourists normally go) and had car trouble. The mechanic said he didn’t speak English but after a few minutes of talking to my mother in French he decided English would be easier (my mother grew up in a French speaking home— but my grandparents stopped speaking French to her at home when she was pretty young because they wanted her to be a Anglophone).

I’ve been in restaurants in continental Europe where, for example the French couple at the next table speaks English with their Dutch waitress to order. English really is the Universal language, which is great for us. In rural places things get a little more dicey.
                    Totally agree, I've done tours in places like Portugal or Croatia, or wherever, and they do give them in more than one language, but the english language tour is often the most popular. Anyone who doesn't speak the local language uses the English tour, And it has a side benefit of letting you meet people from all over the world.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Rotterdam

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2017...ore-like-dubai
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Looks prettier than Dubai, if you ask me.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Looks prettier than Dubai, if you ask me.
                          Nothing wrong with Dubai

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Nothing wrong with Dubai
                            A giant glass dick, versus the Rotterdam Markthal? I'll take the latter.

But I'd stand on the observation deck of the former, if someone else paid.

Comment

Fade has better things to do, like stand on DPRK soil, and 'offend' them by signaling "victory" in front of the ROK soldier (made the mistake of making this one public on Imgur).

EDIT: My favorite troll comment - "I didn't know Adidas made military uniforms"
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-19-2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Fade has better things to do, like stand on DPRK soil, and 'offend' them by signaling "victory" in front of the ROK soldier (made the mistake of making this one public on Imgur).

EDIT: My favorite troll comment - "I didn't know Adidas made military uniforms"
                                fade whip it out and water the soil?

Comment

Working...
                                X