This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

We're looking at a Vikings (Vikingland?) Riverboat cruise through Europe in October. Anybody have any experience with those?

Added to that, I guess I should start my passport renewal process.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      We're looking at a Vikings (Vikingland?) Riverboat cruise through Europe in October. Anybody have any experience with those?

Added to that, I guess I should start my passport renewal process.
      They are usually a lot of fun but expensive and you don't get to stay very long in one place. Not for me, but some people love them.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Packing for Korea. Excited.

Heard that Delta has extended the 747 for one more RT to ICN due to staffing issues, so I guess I won't be on the last revenue flight on the 17th. Oh darn.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Heard that Delta has extended the 747 for one more RT to ICN due to staffing issues, so I guess I won't be on the last revenue flight on the 17th. Oh darn.
          BA flies the 747 on the LHR KWI daily. Mookie was on the flight deck yesterday in biz.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            BA flies the 747 on the LHR KWI daily. Mookie was on the flight deck yesterday in biz.
            Ya. Given that it's not the "last ever" 747 pax flight, Fade is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Not something you hear everyday.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Ya. Given that it's not the "last ever" 747 pax flight, Fade is OK.

Comment

At least our Fearless (clueless) Leader has stopped poking the bear for now. You might come back without being crisped. I would consider traveling there a crap shoot but very interesting culture!

Don't eat Kimchi!!

(my friend ate some off a street vendor. It didn't go well. Thankfully he was stationed there and didn't have far to travel. He said it tasted amazing tho!)

Comment

just made a quick trip to Quebec City for a couple days, saying right in the heart of the old city. Always a good time, had lots of good food (the restaurants and shops are definitely a lot higher end than when I was a kid -- and a lot more $$, I've been visiting regularly for over 30 years now...). I'm thinking about trying to rent a furnished apartment for a month in the summer so the kid can have some French immersion (I don't remember much, but he's 9 and will have had French classes for a couple years at school by then. They started him in 3rd grade, but now his school starts the kids on French in 1st grade which I think is a lot better.)

Need to plan our next real vacation. Thinking about Iceland. I also need to get back to Utah - probably based in the Moab area, hitting Bears Ears and Canyonlands. I love the "Canyon Country" of south east Utah.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Need to plan our next real vacation. Thinking about Iceland. I also need to get back to Utah - probably based in the Moab area, hitting Bears Ears and Canyonlands. I love the "Canyon Country" of south east Utah.
                      Hard to beat that country in April or fall.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        just made a quick trip to Quebec City for a couple days, saying right in the heart of the old city. Always a good time, had lots of good food (the restaurants and shops are definitely a lot higher end than when I was a kid -- and a lot more $$, I've been visiting regularly for over 30 years now...). I'm thinking about trying to rent a furnished apartment for a month in the summer so the kid can have some French immersion (I don't remember much, but he's 9 and will have had French classes for a couple years at school by then. They started him in 3rd grade, but now his school starts the kids on French in 1st grade which I think is a lot better.)

mookie was touring an english school couple weeks ago and they start all their students in frog in the 3rd year.

Comment

With our upcoming move to Germany, I'm curious if you folks have any suggestions. We currently have TSA Precheck with about 3 years left. When we've come back from overseas trips, Mobile Passport has worked pretty well and saved us some time. If we're coming back to the states just once a year, would it make sense to get global entry? Or just wait until our Precheck expires and see what new, fancy TSA skip-the-lines thing they come out with then?

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                            With our upcoming move to Germany, I'm curious if you folks have any suggestions. We currently have TSA Precheck with about 3 years left. When we've come back from overseas trips, Mobile Passport has worked pretty well and saved us some time. If we're coming back to the states just once a year, would it make sense to get global entry? Or just wait until our Precheck expires and see what new, fancy TSA skip-the-lines thing they come out with then?
                            I go three or four times per year to the continent and don't have global entry. Most of the time I don't wait. Once in a while. Depends on the time of day and the port of entry. Atlanta is a wait most of the time. JFK, occasionally. Boston, no, Detroit , no, Minny, No. So I'd pass. I'm jealous though. You'll have an amazing time, and kids will learn a lot. Definitely do not stay home on the weekends.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              mookie was touring an english school couple weeks ago and they start all their students in frog in the 3rd year.
                              It makes a lot of sense to start them on a foreign language early. Once your brain is wired to be bilingual it's easier to pick up other languages. Our school does French as the only foreign language starting in 1st grade (was 3rd when my son started) through 8th grade, and then in High School they can choose other languages.

Although I was talking to someone at a conference who was from Singapore and he thought it was pointless to learn another language if you were a native English speaker...

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                Although I was talking to someone at a conference who was from Singapore and he thought it was pointless to learn another language if you were a native English speaker...
                                While true it seems that anyone who wants to talk to you can speak English- there are some people that you may want to speak to who do not

Comment

Working...
                                X