Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Open Wheel Racing - The Devil comes to Ferrari & the return Wayward Driver!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 Open Wheel Racing - The Devil comes to Ferrari & the return Wayward Driver!!

A week before the 2015 season finally starts- with practice and qualifying. Lots of things going on...

Mercedes looks to be MORE dominant than last year- both drivers were fast, they did the most laps by far, and most astonishingly- ONE ENGINE. Holy cow.

Vettel looks to be pretty quick with the Ferrari. Which looks to be faster than it was last year.

Honda has a lot of issues which has translated into McLaren running few laps. Then there's the whole Alonso thing. What in the world.... (some are speculating that this may be the end of his career- as he may have blacked out prior to crashing).

What will we see next week in Australia other than not Alonso? (I'll go out on a limb and predict that Mercedes will win... )

edit- one thing on the other end of the grid that we should see- Manor! Lets hope they can get their act together and have a decent season.
    Last edited by alfablue; 03-06-2015, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Re: 2015 Open Wheel Racing - The Devil comes to Ferrari & the return Wayward Driver!!

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Then there's the whole Alonso thing. What in the world.... (some are speculating that this may be the end of his career- as he may have blacked out prior to crashing).
      This whole story is one of the most bizarre racing stories I've ever seen.

People saying Alonso suffered an electrical shock. A simple "precautionary" overnight stay in the hospital turning into three days. People, including Fernando himself, declaring Alonso is 100% without injury ... but still won't race in Australia. Dennis holding a Belichick-like press conference telling everyone that even though Alonso lost consciousness, he did not suffer a concussion ... W-T-F? Dennis lying through his teeth every time he opens his mouth (well, okay, this isn't all that bizarre...)

Something very, very fishy is going on here.

edit- one thing on the other end of the grid that we should see- Manor! Lets hope they can get their act together and have a decent season.
      I hope they kick Force India's butt!! hehehehe
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

This keeps getting curioser and curioser...

Vettel footage key to Alonso mystery?

The theory Fernando Alonso was already unconscious before he crashed in Barcelona two weeks ago is growing stronger by the hour.

Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the key to the mystery could be the on-board footage captured by the Ferrari driven by Sebastian Vettel.

Vettel said immediately after the incident that Alonso's reactions had appeared "strange", but he corrected the record this week, insisting the crash was not so "dramatic" and that he only saw the final moments of it anyway.

But La Gazzetta claims the footage taken from Vettel's car depicts the McLaren-Honda suddenly slowing down and then apparently driving inexplicably into the wall.

Indeed, Bernie Ecclestone has also used the word "inexplicable" to describe the crash.

"It is as though he lost his senses for a moment," the F1 supremo is quoted as saying.

"I don't know if an electric shock was possible, but I think that if it was that, the engineers and doctors would be able to detect it.

"Certainly it is a mystery," Ecclestone reportedly added.

Another unconvinced voice belongs to Joaquin Verdegay, a former FIA official and steward, who told the Spanish daily AS: "It would be easier to believe if we had been told he (Alonso) blacked out or he had a bad breakfast, which can happen to anyone.

"But something happened. The loss of consciousness was the cause, not the effect," he said.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          This keeps getting curioser and curioser...

Vettel footage key to Alonso mystery?

The theory Fernando Alonso was already unconscious before he crashed in Barcelona two weeks ago is growing stronger by the hour.

Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the key to the mystery could be the on-board footage captured by the Ferrari driven by Sebastian Vettel.

Vettel said immediately after the incident that Alonso's reactions had appeared "strange", but he corrected the record this week, insisting the crash was not so "dramatic" and that he only saw the final moments of it anyway.

But La Gazzetta claims the footage taken from Vettel's car depicts the McLaren-Honda suddenly slowing down and then apparently driving inexplicably into the wall.

Indeed, Bernie Ecclestone has also used the word "inexplicable" to describe the crash.

"It is as though he lost his senses for a moment," the F1 supremo is quoted as saying.

"I don't know if an electric shock was possible, but I think that if it was that, the engineers and doctors would be able to detect it.

"Certainly it is a mystery," Ecclestone reportedly added.

Another unconvinced voice belongs to Joaquin Verdegay, a former FIA official and steward, who told the Spanish daily AS: "It would be easier to believe if we had been told he (Alonso) blacked out or he had a bad breakfast, which can happen to anyone.

"But something happened. The loss of consciousness was the cause, not the effect," he said.
          that's a very strange story...career in jeopardy? This is an unfathomable story.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Indy....Honda's aero kit is out, and by the looks of it compared to Chevy, they are going to destroy Chevy. All the wings are much more complex in construction. The Chevy ones look alike an afterthought vs the Honda ones. The great news is the cars are easily discernible from each other. I am very excited to see some lap times.

F1....Alonso situation smells a bit funky....Very excited about the race this weekend. The big question is do I stay up and watch it live? At this point YES! Til I see Mercedes rocket away and Ferrari in 5th and 6th before the first pit stop.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Indy....Honda's aero kit is out, and by the looks of it compared to Chevy, they are going to destroy Chevy. All the wings are much more complex in construction. The Chevy ones look alike an afterthought vs the Honda ones. The great news is the cars are easily discernible from each other. I am very excited to see some lap times.

F1....Alonso situation smells a bit funky....Very excited about the race this weekend. The big question is do I stay up and watch it live? At this point YES! Til I see Mercedes rocket away and Ferrari in 5th and 6th before the first pit stop.
              you nailed it. The Honda aero kits look inspired and Chevy appears as though a 5th grader drew it up in comparison. Can those kits be upgraded/modified as the go through the season?

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                you nailed it. The Honda aero kits look inspired and Chevy appears as though a 5th grader drew it up in comparison. Can those kits be upgraded/modified as the go through the season?
                I am not sure about that, I'll be looking for an answer as I am curious as well. If Chevy still has power advantage and Honda has an aero advantage, it will make for an interesting season. I really think this is a step in the right direction for Indycar.

Comment

Indy...no changes allowed to the aero kit in 2015 unless they are so bad that it is a detriment to the series. They called it the "Lotus" rule.

After further review, I think the Honda nose looks like it will make more downforce, but in the area in front of the rear tyre it looks like the Chevy will make more downforce. It's going to be fun.

Comment

First qualifying is done. At the front, nothing new- Mercedes takes the front row.

After that- Williams 3rd isn't that shocking, but having Ferrari 4 and 5 didn't happen last year.

But it's the rear of the pack that's a shock- McLaren occupies the last row of the starting grid (thanks to Marussa not actually running). Maybe Alonso is faking it- and he knows why....

Comment

WOT! Bernie, don't you have enough money that you now have to charge me 2.27 pounds per month for All access?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So what have we learned?

Well, Mercedes has lost nothing to the rest of the field- maybe have gained a little, even. Dominant win for Lewis, equally dominant second for Rosberg.

Ferrari is MUCH improved. Vettel seems to like the car, too. If not for some pit problems, Kimi probably would have done really well.

Sauber is BACK. Putting two cars in the points after 1) the horrible season they had last year, and 2) a very trying week for the organization, says a LOT, to me. Nazar looks good in the car, too.

Have to give credit to Toro Roso. Even with a depleted field, the car was fast.

Williams seems to be exactly where they were last year- which is good. Too bad for Botas and an injury that did not let him run.

McLaren is in trouble- one car didn't make the field. McLaren is making progress- the other car drove the farthest the car has ever driven at once.

Season is actually happening.

Comment

Red Bull whining and contemplating leaving F1? efff them

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            So what have we learned?

Well, Mercedes has lost nothing to the rest of the field- maybe have gained a little, even. Dominant win for Lewis, equally dominant second for Rosberg.

Ferrari is MUCH improved. Vettel seems to like the car, too. If not for some pit problems, Kimi probably would have done really well.

Sauber is BACK. Putting two cars in the points after 1) the horrible season they had last year, and 2) a very trying week for the organization, says a LOT, to me. Nazar looks good in the car, too.

Have to give credit to Toro Roso. Even with a depleted field, the car was fast.

Williams seems to be exactly where they were last year- which is good. Too bad for Botas and an injury that did not let him run.

McLaren is in trouble- one car didn't make the field. McLaren is making progress- the other car drove the farthest the car has ever driven at once.

Season is actually happening.
                            After only one race it appears that Mercedes will repeat as the constructors champion and will also produce the driving champion. Looks like the battles will be coming back in the field. It will be interesting to follow McLaren and their improvement as the season progresses. Nice to see Sauber doing well with their new young driver Nasar.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              After only one race it appears that Mercedes will repeat as the constructors champion and will also produce the driving champion. Looks like the battles will be coming back in the field. It will be interesting to follow McLaren and their improvement as the season progresses. Nice to see Sauber doing well with their new young driver Nasar.
                              It's Nasr folks. Not Nazar. Not Nasar.

We might have to start learning how to spell this kid's name. He looks to be the real deal, despite being a ride buyer. But then, Lauda started out as a ride buyer.

If I were Alonso, I'd fake brain damage for the entire year!

A guy I used to race against once needed back surgery. He told me his surgeon told him that the two groups of people he operates on the most are race car drivers and truck drivers. Both take a punishing toll on backs. Kimi occasionally has his back problem flare up. And now Bottas is in that category. I'd hate to see him miss anymore races. He's someone I really like to follow because he definitely has talent.

As for Red Bull, I agree f-em. I have never heard such a whining, crybaby, unsporting organization in my life. Leave, if you are nothing but a bunch of quitters, even if it means taking Toro Rosso with you. F1 will suffer in the short term, but it will recover. In the meantime, you will go down as the greatest losers -- in the true sense of the word -- in the history of sports.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Pleasantly surprised to see Ferrari have real race pace. Kimi is so snake bit. He just can't catch a break. It's still going to take a miracle to hear the German and Italian Anthems at the end of a race anytime soon. Hamilton was just toying with Rosberg. I never dreamed McL/Honda would be this bad. Wow.

A little pre-preseason testing shows Chevy's car is quite good, unless the Honda guys are sandbagging. 15 cars with 1 sec and Chevy had the top 4 times. After watching woeful Honda's performance in the F1 race, maybe they are a tad overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X