Originally posted by Titleist View Post
        Everything I've seen say French.
        Not surprising. Merckx got assaulted.
        That's probably why he didn't get 6 wins
        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

• Re: 2015 USCHO Cycling Thread

Yeah, well that and having been paid not to ride one year.

Who punched Eddy Merckx?

Comment

I guess I don't mind Paul and Phil. They can be annoying at times (like the stage yesterday where they kept playing up the chance that the trailing group was going to be eliminated), but overall I don't mind them.

I have been really impressed with Vande Velde. I think he's easily the best on that team.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I guess I don't mind Paul and Phil. They can be annoying at times (like the stage yesterday where they kept playing up the chance that the trailing group was going to be eliminated), but overall I don't mind them.

I have been really impressed with Vande Velde. I think he's easily the best on that team.

Shergett seem like a good team, and I used to think so myself back in tye days when this thing was on Versus. Then I heard a variety of other teams and realized they are terrible. And I'm not trying to be obnoxious. They offer little actual racing analysis, in my opinion, and one could easily make a drinking game out of their oft too repeated lame phrases that really don't mean much when you think about it.

Heartbreak for the breakaway, ride of his life, yellow jersey made him grow wings, he'll have to dig deep now, etc. After exploring a variety of other broadcasts and then going back to them, they come across like something generated by a soundboard. But like I said, I used to think otherwise.
              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                Shergett seem like a good team, and I used to think so myself back in tye days when this thing was on Versus. Then I heard a variety of other teams and realized they are terrible. And I'm not trying to be obnoxious. They offer little actual racing analysis, in my opinion, and one could easily make a drinking game out of their too oft repeated lame phrases that really don't mean much when you think about it.

Heartbreak for the breakaway, ride of his life, yellow jersey made him grow wings, he'll have to dig deep now, etc. After exploring a variety of other broadcasts and then going back to them, they come across like something generated by a soundboard. But like I said, I used to think otherwise prior.
                Agreed.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

How does Bob Roll have a job is my question? I literally watch cycling once a year for three weeks and I feel like I could provide more insight than that jamoke.
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Here's the thing for me, and this might get me flamed, but I prefer an America-centric broadcast and frankly, they are the only ones available. So I guess I can choose to hate heartily dislike them, or I can mentally block the annoyances and focus on what they do well. YMMV. *shrug*

I'm wondering what's going to happen when one or both retire, probably in the not-to-distant future.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      How does Bob Roll have a job is my question? I literally watch cycling once a year for three weeks and I feel like I could provide more insight than that jamoke.
                      I wonder the same thing. But then again, he's kind of grown on me over the years. I have no idea why.
                      Code:

Comment

I'm totally the other way, well except for the Vande Velde thing, he is good. I really don't have time for anyone else. Liggett one does one thing well in my opinion and thats call a sprint. (Of course he usually miss-identifies the riders). Sherwin is just waste for me. They both pick a storyline and their call must follow that or are ignored. Both are are also deeply tied to LA. I also really hate the American-centric broadcasting. Especially on NBCSC half the time they talk in miles (and the ticker often shows miles). In cycling I have no idea what that means. I know when things need to happen in K's. And my math is bad enough that even knowing the conversion, I can't make it happen cognitively. Of course I hate K's when I'm doing something but I need K's in cycling.

As far as teams go, there aren't many good teams but I'll watch Sean Kelly all day. Yeah he says almost nothing be when he does it directly on point. And although Kirby is generally terrible and a Sky shill, he does have one of the best cycling calls ever: Ijlo Keisse wins a stage in Turkey.

Comment

Also YAY! Lampre gets a stage. Great decent from Sagan.

Comment

That crash with Thomas looked nasty but he popped back up and finished the stage only 45ish seconds back from the main GC group.
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

No offense, but if the nbc broadcasters left 30 seconds of blank time, they would be fired that very day. it might be an american thing, it might not, but that's the way it is. I really have no complaints about the broadcast other than phil saying things that are untrue and then correcting himself. Bob roll is not dumb, but when you have what, 5 other guys all wanting to speak, he doesn't get much chance.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Here's the thing for me, and this might get me flamed, but I prefer an America-centric broadcast and frankly, they are the only ones available. So I guess I can choose to hate heartily dislike them, or I can mentally block the annoyances and focus on what they do well. YMMV. *shrug*

I'm wondering what's going to happen when one or both retire, probably in the not-to-distant future.
                                I am in the same circumstance since I am at work and tape the NBC broadcast and don't have the ability to watch it online.

I have no problem with the US centric broadcast but with only 3 Americans this year, one of whom is Farrar who basically will do nothing, though MTN has a good storyline as a team. They should branch off and do more interviews with other English speaking riders. I'm sure the French, Italian and Spanish broadcasts lean towards the riders of those nations.

I suspect in the future it will be Schlanger and Christian doing the commentary, as had been for several races this year. Schlanger has grown on me, though I still hate go go, and Christian has improved a lot. I am willing to give Jens a chance to grow into the role since this is his first year.

I first noticed Phil's decline during the Tour de Lance, I have all the Tours back to 85 and he's done all of them, Sherwen started a few years later. it's become a lot more evident to me in the last few years, I can only name 30-40% of the peloton and maybe can pick 1/2 of those out at a glance but if I pick up his errors I wonder how many more I miss and I'm not even taking into account confusing Niki Roche with his dad etc.

Not a bad day today, it wouldn't be a ride into Gap without a spectacular crash
                                Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Working...
                                X