Winter 2015 - boom or snow job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Not my kid. He'll dress like your kid, complete with wet hair, given the chance. He's also brought the car back with unexplained scrapes lately.
    I did the wet hair/frozen mullet thing back in the day. As for the scrapes, it's gotta be the carts at the grocery store. At least that's what I tried to go with when I had a nice dent in the side of the truck many moons ago. Although Dad didn't exactly call bull**** on me right there on the spot, I knew good and well he didn't believe a word of it.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Re: Winter 2015 - boom or snow job?

Why is there a school drop off point 3 blocks from the front door?

Or is Gurt just being sadistic.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        Why is there a school drop off point 3 blocks from the front door?

Or is Gurt just being sadistic.

Is 400 yards 3 blocks? Maybe it's more like 2 blocks then, right across the street from the grounds. I'm not driving into that fustercluck unless it's pouring rain or if he's injured as he was earlier in the fall.

And sadistic? Absolutely.

I was reveling in his poor decision(s).

Thing is, he doesn't seem to be getting any smarter. I keep waiting for that breakthrough that other parents of older boys assure me is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Is 400 yards 3 blocks? Maybe it's more like 2 blocks then, right across the street from the grounds. I'm not driving into that fustercluck unless it's pouring rain or if he's injured as he was earlier in the fall.

Thing is, he doesn't seem to be getting any smarter. I keep waiting for that breakthrough that other parents of older boys assure me is coming.
          Those other parents aren't seeking to actively destroy their children, though.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Those other parents aren't seeking to actively destroy their children, though.

Dude, we've had the what to wear on cold days conversations umpteen times since about 6th grade.

I was just thrilled that it finally bit him in the ***.

Today, on a colder day, he wore a long sleeve polo, his warmup jacket and his team beanie. Still no gloves, but progress was made.

Comment

Back when I used to run long distance regularly, the most important rule was always, "start off going into the wind, return with the wind at your back." That is a crucial winter safety rule, very important.

I came back from a run one day and had trouble taking off my stocking cap. I had perspired on the run home, then it froze in my hair that stuck out from under the cap. I had an icicle about 8" long dangling back there.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I used to wonder why we had so many school closings on cold days here until someone reminded me that we have a lot of hills here and a school bus sliding on pre-dawn ice is a very dangerous thing.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  I came back from a run one day and had trouble taking off my stocking cap. I had perspired on the run home, then it froze in my hair that stuck out from under the cap. I had an icicle about 8" long dangling back there.
                  A common condition for kids who practice hockey outside. Makes good hockey hair a poor choice sometimes if you have to wear a helmet outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Is this where I chime in that through high school I wore shorts and sneakers virtually year round? -30? Yep, throw the shorts on and let's go to the place of learning!

I've since smartened up Now I just wear shorts year round in a warmer climate!

Comment

Lake effect snow affects travel (and hockey games?)
                      https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...bf41cf80f208f3
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Lake effect snow affects travel (and hockey games?)
                        https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...bf41cf80f208f3
                        Picked a great weekend for the North Country trip.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Picked a great weekend for the North Country trip.
                          Go the other way. It's longer and more expensive, but you avoid the snow.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Go the other way. It's longer and more expensive, but you avoid the snow.
                            You mean go east by going west?

That is longer...
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              You mean go east by going west?

That is longer...
                              Or go to Albany and then up and around.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                                Or go to Albany and then up and around.
                                Not sure it's going to avoid the problem, though. The map cuts off at the Watertown 24-36. For all we know at Potsdam there might be another bump of 48-60.

I think I've been to the North Country 4 times. Only one time was there even any snow on the ground at all. My mental image of that place is basically Wales: a constant 37-degree drizzle.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X