Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winter 2015 - boom or snow job?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Got the standby generator installed. Of course that means we'll never lose power again.

Driving in NJ must have really deteriorated since I moved down here in 1979.
    When we drive upstate NY people actually wave to you, kind of waving you in ahead of them. Of course down here in NJ they wave also, only it is with one finger.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      Seriously?

The snownami, the snowpacalypse, snowmageddon, a towering snowferno, is on your horizon and you're that underprepared?

Only two bottles?

May Jim Cantore have mercy on your soul.
      Yup, only 2 bottles the Blue regular and Red cherry vodka. We do have a case of Tito's Handmade around and Jenny has about 4 flavors of Van Gogh. I think we can hold out for a bit. My only oversight is having only a couple fresh limes.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

All this Deathstorm2015 talk has me thinking about last year when the Dakotas had a blizzard around October that wiped out thousands of cattle but no one knew about it for a week because the news stations/East Coast were too enamored with something else.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          All this Deathstorm2015 talk has me thinking about last year when the Dakotas had a blizzard around October that wiped out thousands of cattle but no one knew about it for a week because the news stations/East Coast were too enamored with something else.
          They weren't whales.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            I'm reading this just after the sports segment of the morning radio show where they were talking about Bill Nye refuting Bill Belichek's explanation of the balls losing PSI during the ball scuffing/conditioning process.

Here's the word of an expert in gas physics

It would take a 30C drop in temperature (or 54F) for an inflated football to naturally lose two pounds per square inch (PSI) of air pressure, a University of Toronto physicist says.

(Stephen Morris) on Friday let the air out of two theories on the pressure drop that have become favourites among speculators on the interwebs.

The first: that the Patriots inflated their footballs not with air but with some other gas — like helium, or a refrigerant such as Freon.

As speculation goes, these diabolically selected gases would deflate quicker than air over a couple of hours, then the rate of deflation would taper off as the ball’s inside pressure neared a state of equilibrium with the outdoor environment.

No pins required. Brilliant, right?

Well, no. Morris immediately discarded the theory.

“It doesn’t matter what the gas is, unless it’s a rare, special gas,” Morris said. “There’s a concept called an ideal gas law. All gases at that pressure are basically the same. They respond to pressure the same. Helium, or any gas, would have the same effect as air.

“It would take a special, heavily engineered coolant gas to have just the right properties to be non-ideal, and I don’t think that’s likely here.”

The second, much more popular theory is that the Patriots’ footballs naturally deflated by two PSI because of the temperature drop — from when the officials took a pregame pressure reading of each ball in their locker room, to halftime, right after the balls had been thrown and lugged around for more than an hour in the chill of a mid-January evening in Massachusetts.

Pressure is directly tied to temperature.

Never mind that the theory would fail to account for why only the Patriots’ footballs experienced such a drop in pressure. The physics don’t add up either, Morris said.
            Last edited by SteveP; 01-26-2015, 02:12 PM.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Just saw Jim Cantore retweet someone that said that the State of Connecticut will be enacting a travel ban starting at 9ET tonight.
              I'm surprised they are waiting until that late....

ah, he announced the ban at 10 AM. Given the change in the weather since then, look for him to move it forward by 2 hours when he makes his 5 PM status update.
              Last edited by FreshFish; 01-26-2015, 02:17 PM.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                We in Northern NY laugh at this stuff.
                Also in Central and Western NY.

Comment

IIRC Boston (Massachusetts / Feds?) has a law that says you can't dump the plowed snow in the water (river / ocean). Wonder if NYC has a similar law? Well, where do they think it goes after it melts?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    IIRC Boston (Massachusetts / Feds?) has a law that says you can't dump the plowed snow in the water (river / ocean). Wonder if NYC has a similar law? Well, where do they think it goes after it melts?
                    When it melts from the streets, it goes into the sewer system. Don't they then filter it before releasing it? I don't know....

The rationale behind those laws has to do with motor oil and the like, I think (though as usual I could well be wrong....). If it melts and is filtered then motor oil and gasoline are removed, while if plowed snow is dumped directly then motor oil and gasoline gets dumped with it.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Re: Winter 2015 - boom or snow job?

Sadly, for all drivers with Uber: You're not going to be able to make as much of a buck as before. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-0...snowstorm.html

Comment

NY City subways closing 11 PM.

So much for the "city that 'never' sleeps," eh?

(no link, radio announcement).

Comment

...WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH
                          In North Dakota that's golfing weather.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

"Here at CNN we're driving around in the Blizzardmobile. We call it that because we're driving and it's in a blizzard."

Thanks guys.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              "Here at CNN we're driving around in the Blizzardmobile. We call it that because we're driving and it's in a blizzard."

Thanks guys.
                              I thought they stopped at a DQ
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Cnn is the absolute blurst
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X