Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 DIII Commitments

Originally posted by altazo View Post
    Interesting a 6'6" 17 year old would commit to a D3 school after less than 20 games in the USPHL. You'd think with that frame and three years of junior eligibility remaining he'd stay at that level and try to progress towards a D1 scholarship.
    I am going to say he probably has no chance of making it through the NCAA clearing house for a D1 scholarship. Not many Russians wind up with a scholarship at the D1 level.

Comment

Interesting a 6'6" 17 year old would commit to a D3 school after less than 20 games in the USPHL. You'd think with that frame and three years of junior eligibility remaining he'd stay at that level and try to progress towards a D1 scholarship.
      Maybe he wants to get on with his life and not dump thousands of dollars into junior hockey.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

maybe the kid is just a turnstyle??

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Maybe he wants to get on with his life and not dump thousands of dollars into junior hockey.
          Sure, I get that. You think attending Utica College is less expensive than playing Junior hockey?

I guess my thought was a 6'6" 17 year old who is actually good enough to crack Utica's lineup would likely have enough upside to make a NAHL or USHL roster. I believe both of those leagues do not cost money to play in (I know for a fact the USHL doesn't). Honestly, the most likely scenario is Backdraft's speculation..

My feeling is a 17 year old is either not ready for NCAA hockey, or they are clearly ready (see Michigan's Zach Werenski).

Edit: just looked, the USHL is indeed totally free to players. The only player fee's associated with the NAHL are a $300/month payment to the billeting family (if housing is required). Certainly a lot more affordable than farting around in one of the mid-level Eastern junior leagues

Regardless, I do wish the kid the best. A year from now I'll be happy to say I was way off base if he turns out to be a contributor on the blue line for Utica.
          Last edited by altazo; 06-02-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

But in 4 years (as opposed to 7) he's in the workforce.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Sure, I get that. You think attending Utica College is less expensive than playing Junior hockey?

I guess my thought was a 6'6" 17 year old who is actually good enough to crack Utica's lineup would likely have enough upside to make a NAHL or USHL roster. I believe both of those leagues do not cost money to play in (I know for a fact the USHL doesn't). Honestly, the most likely scenario is Backdraft's speculation..

My feeling is a 17 year old is either not ready for NCAA hockey, or they are clearly ready (see Michigan's Zach Werenski).

Edit: just looked, the USHL is indeed totally free to players. The only player fee's associated with the NAHL are a $300/month payment to the billeting family (if housing is required). Certainly a lot more affordable than farting around in one of the mid-level Eastern junior leagues

Regardless, I do wish the kid the best. A year from now I'll be happy to say I was way off base if he turns out to be a contributor on the blue line for Utica.
              10-4 I also hope he is a productive player at The U.

Comment

Cardinals land Cam Owens and Cole Stallard ! Remember those names.

Comment

Originally posted by Cards81 View Post
                  Cardinals land Cam Owens and Cole Stallard ! Remember those names.
                  yes they were listed at the collegecommitments site on Jan 15 2015,but thanks for the info... they look to be good pick ups..there are also another 5 Platty recruits there as well if you like to see them.

Comment

One for Oswego. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=136006

Comment

The other site now has a D3 Commitments Page for each of the leagues. In what may be a first (in at least my memory) Elmira has a class with 0 Canadians.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                        The other site now has a D3 Commitments Page for each of the leagues. In what may be a first (in at least my memory) Elmira has a class with 0 Canadians.
                        they took a yr or 2 off and I guess they r back...as for the Sunyac,Buff st has a player with 121pts in a league all their own.....a few big 6'6 + guys coming in and for Oswego Jackson played a semester last yr and Sneath played in the southern division of the USPHL was the leadin scorer,but against what competition??,I am sure he has some skills,I am sure Oswego will have a few more to add, as will other schools,usually we know only little about the transfers coming in,and those leaving their schools.....Best of luck to'em all.
                        Last edited by bakdraft21; 06-12-2015, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Looks like a very promising goalie, the number one thing we need. That's what did us in last year, poor, inconsistent goaltending.
                          Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                          Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                          Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
                            Looks like a very promising goalie, the number one thing we need. That's what did us in last year, poor, inconsistent goaltending.
                            I've no clue how competitive the MnJHL is, but his GAA and Save Pct are eye-popping. For that matter, I'm not sure how competitive the ECAC/W is anymore either. The ECAC/W might be a step down from the MhJHL!?

Comment

I've no clue how competitive the MnJHL is, but his GAA and Save Pct are eye-popping. For that matter, I'm not sure how competitive the ECAC/W is anymore either. The ECAC/W might be a step down from the MhJHL!?
                              MnJHL is a junior B league and not very competitive. Perhaps Aeschlimann is a late bloomer but his stats for prior years when he played higher level hockey (for the Springfield Blues in the NAHL in 2013-14, for example) were ok but definitely not eye popping.
                              Last edited by d3follower; 06-24-2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

From what I understand, his parents gave him half a season in the states to figure out where he was going. He flew under the radar, but apparently the kid's got a great ceiling.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbEJJ8JqsM
                                Our bite is worse than our bark....
                                Top guys, out.

Comment

Working...
                                X