Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shannon Miller out at UMD?

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    A policy that somewhat contradicts the oft heard proponents of UMD, Shannon Miller and her recruiting strategy. Throughout her tenure it was the diversity of culture on campus...associated student body interaction and exposure to that diversity that was frequently touted as such a beneficial byproduct of her recruiting strategy.
    Players from different countries and cultures living together...I'd say that was direct in your face exposure to diversity. Having room mates and team mates from across the planet many of whom through the process become good friends and remain so after they graduate further serving as international cross cultural contacts for one another for whatever purposes...I'd say that it's huge. How many of us know people who have had this tremendous opportunity for personal growth? I would guess not many.

What I didn't mention is that there is nothing precluding athletes from others sports from living in these "hockey houses". As a matter of fact, one doesn't even have to be a UMD athlete...so, there is no heavy hand dictating any rules as far as who qualifies to live in these houses. And the real estate is all privately owned with those owners usually being quite thrilled that players on the women's hockey team are their tenants, among others. By default, it's another way of connecting with the community. There is no administrative involvement by UMD...the concept is encouraged and that is it...if you're interested, you work it out with other interested players/individuals...find a home, transact with landlords/landladies, sign leases, etc..

Now one might argue that "allowing" non women's hockey players to reside there if they wish just waters down the purpose of the initial intent. That was my initial thought when I heard about it.. But to the extent that it occurs, and it's not a high percentage of the time, it strikes me as being the best of both worlds for those involved with the majority still being women's hockey players.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      Players from different countries and cultures living together...I'd say that was direct in your face exposure to diversity. Having room mates and team mates from across the planet many of whom through the process become good friends and remain so after they graduate further serving as international cross cultural contacts for one another for whatever purposes...I'd say that it's huge. How many of us know people who have had this tremendous opportunity for personal growth? I would guess not many.

What I didn't mention is that there is nothing precluding athletes from others sports from living in these "hockey houses". As a matter of fact, one doesn't even have to be a UMD athlete...so, there is no heavy hand dictating any rules as far as who qualifies to live in these houses. And the real estate is all privately owned with those owners usually being quite thrilled that players on the women's hockey team are their tenants, among others. By default, it's another way of connecting with the community. There is no administrative involvement by UMD...the concept is encouraged and that is it...if you're interested, you work it out with other interested players/individuals...find a home, transact with landlords/landladies, sign leases, etc..

Now one might argue that "allowing" non women's hockey players to reside there if they wish just waters down the purpose of the initial intent. That was my initial thought when I heard about it.. But to the extent that it occurs, and it's not a high percentage of the time, it strikes me as being the best of both worlds for those involved with the majority still being women's hockey players.
      Except the very frequent claim was for, of the benefits of that diversity for and throughout the campus and student body. Not to worry. I knew that impact was being oversold every time I read it. My point was not that it's a bad idea or unusual.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        Have you been paying attention the last many months? They've significantly picked up their marketing of teams not hockey or football.
        I have been paying attention and yes, it has gotten better as of late. But when the UMD Bulldogs Twitter account only gives the play by play of football and men's hockey, even though both teams have their own accounts in which they can do that from, it is clear they still only want to put their energy into those two sports. I recall that during this season's playoff run by the volleyball team, men's hockey was also playing at the same time. UMD did not post any updates about volleyball until after the second set because they were too consumed with the play by play of men's hockey. If you're going to have a general UMD Athletics Twitter handle, it should be representative of all sports and not just two.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Not saying that you meant it this way but this wording could easily be taken negatively when in fact the concept is a positive one.

The "hockey houses" are not mandatory but to my knowledge most players buy into the concept which is simply designed as a team building tool by allowing the players to not only play and practice together but to live together thereby developing deeper bonds of friendship and trust and to share part of their journey into adulthood and independence.

Like everything else in life there are pros and cons to this but I would think that the positives far outweigh the negatives and nothing prevents a player in this situation from opting out and finding other accommodations if they choose to do so.
          This living situation also helps the European players adjust to life in the States a bit better. Gives them a few people (and usually at least one roommate has a car) who can help them with confusing university paperwork or just things like getting around town and getting to a grocery store. But not every roommate is always a teammate. Some choose to live with friends outside of the team as well as teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            A policy that somewhat contradicts the oft heard proponents of UMD, Shannon Miller and her recruiting strategy. Throughout her tenure it was the diversity of culture on campus...associated student body interaction and exposure to that diversity that was frequently touted as such a beneficial byproduct of her recruiting strategy.
            You say that like the players aren't allowed to have friends outside of hockey. Unfortunately, the demographic make-up of Duluth is about 90% Caucasian so regardless of their living situation they aren't exposed to much diversity anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              This is true only if you assume that it's the only place they are cutting expenses.
              I did not see further comment on cost cutting and financial decisions which would have been a perfect spot to bring it up if her salary was an issue.

Comment

So I take it that, if Wisconsin fires Mike Eaves, you'll be vocal about Shannon Miller being considered for the job?
                If she was the best applicant in the AD's eyes (or another female), I'd say hire her. I would not have an issue with it. I want wins for UW, that's the bottom line. How UW get's to that point, I don't care. I think UMD, or any school, should have that same attitude.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by CrankIt View Post
                  You say that like the players aren't allowed to have friends outside of hockey.
                  That's a pretty inventive interpretation of what I posted.

Unfortunately, the demographic make-up of Duluth is about 90% Caucasian so regardless of their living situation they aren't exposed to much diversity anyway.
                  It was cultural diversity. A diversity of nationality. Not racial diversity...per those oft read claims I mentioned.
                  Last edited by brookyone; 12-19-2014, 02:53 PM.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    If she was the best applicant in the AD's eyes (or another female), I'd say hire her. I would not have an issue with it. I want wins for UW, that's the bottom line. How UW get's to that point, I don't care. I think UMD, or any school, should have that same attitude.
                    That's obviously unlikely but man, that would be a pretty cool thing to happen.
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      I did not see further comment on cost cutting and financial decisions which would have been a perfect spot to bring it up if her salary was an issue.
                      So you assume that because it isn't mentioned in an article about Shannon Miller being out as coach that it must not be happening. You might want to actually research that.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        And what do you think the chances are that she'd actually be taken seriously as an applicant? I'll give you a hint: the odds are the same as the number of women who coach men's hockey teams.

Comment

So you assume that because it isn't mentioned in an article about Shannon Miller being out as coach that it must not be happening. You might want to actually research that.
                          No I never assume, I said it would have been a PERFECT place for the AD to comment. Since he did not that makes it just about Miller

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            No I never assume, I said it would have been a PERFECT place for the AD to comment. Since he did not that makes it just about Miller
                            No, your original comment was clearly predicated on there not having been an additional $6 million in cuts at UMD aside from Shannon Miller's contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Royale with Cheese View Post
                              I have seen this stated as fact over and over, maybe I missed something but I think it more a failure to land the Minnesota kids they recruited than failing to recruit them. In womens hockey it seems that except for the family, friends, and coaches of the player themselves no one really knows what schools are in contact or part of a players short list. I can tell you that UMD was pretty active with some of the top players a few years ago but didn't land them. It may have been that they didn't like the idea of a dry team, or living off campus, or the way Miller liked to really segregate the players from the rest of the student body. Maybe it was the weather, I doubt there is a campus that has fewer days in shorts and flip flops in the country (the Beavers at least have a tunnel system). Certainly the facilities are top notch with the way they have a near exact mirror of the mens facilities (thanks to Miller's power at the time that Amsoil was built). What ever the case is I think it is more a case of failing to land many of the top recruits from Minnesota and choosing to go else where rather than not recruiting in Minnesota. She did chose to no go after the same pool of players as St. Cloud, BSU, and MSU did. Those teams have historically struggled with their strategy, like her or loath her when they won their 5th they had pretty much won half of them in any sport of any size that is impressive.
                              you can think whatever you want, but it is obvious from your post you don't know what you are talking about, Duluth is balmy in winter compared to Bemidji or Grand Forks, and it is as warm if not warmer than Minneapolis as well.

there were 14 posts in the UMD thread in the past 4 months, she gets canned, and suddenly there is 5 pages in 2 days
                              pretty much explains the situation

Comment

I have been paying attention and yes, it has gotten better as of late. But when the UMD Bulldogs Twitter account only gives the play by play of football and men's hockey, even though both teams have their own accounts in which they can do that from, it is clear they still only want to put their energy into those two sports. I recall that during this season's playoff run by the volleyball team, men's hockey was also playing at the same time. UMD did not post any updates about volleyball until after the second set because they were too consumed with the play by play of men's hockey. If you're going to have a general UMD Athletics Twitter handle, it should be representative of all sports and not just two.
                                Harvard's Twitter account will even give fencing updates when the men's teams are playing. In fact our radio station streams broadcasts of women's volleyball while men's hockey or basketball is broadcast live over the air. All teams get coverage at some point either via Twitter or through the school's athletic web site.

Comment

Working...
                                X