Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shannon Miller out at UMD?

Originally posted by Dust Bucket View Post
    Did Sandelin move into Miller's office yet?

It will be interesting to see if ALL candidates are considered or if they will hire the best female candidate to cover their a**. Good luck to everyone involved in the process!
    2 words - Jenny Potter. She turned around Trinity and got them to their first NESCAC championship and second NCAA berth (have heard though that the players are not big fans and that she had to meet with the administration last season to address player and parent complaints about her - winning has a way of relieving these tensions).

Comment

Those two words were the rumor on the street a couple of months ago, but I have no idea if that rumor was accurate or if she's still considered the front-runner.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Those two words were the rumor on the street a couple of months ago, but I have no idea if that rumor was accurate or if she's still considered the front-runner.
        A couple of months ago she was a coach at a middling NESCAC school. Now she is the coach of the NESCAC champions and a NCAA tournament team. Stock should have only risen......

Comment

I would think that UMD will be looking to hire someone who has good people skills in addition to good coaching skills.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            I would think that UMD will be looking to hire someone who has good people skills in addition to good coaching skills.
            understatement of the year

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              2 words - Jenny Potter. She turned around Trinity and got them to their first NESCAC championship and second NCAA berth (have heard though that the players are not big fans and that she had to meet with the administration last season to address player and parent complaints about her - winning has a way of relieving these tensions).
              2nd biggest understatement of the year

I'd think Potter would be a lock to get an interview for the job

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                UMD ATHLETICS FORMALLY LAUNCHES SEARCH FOR HEAD WOMEN'S HOCKEY COACH

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2015...x?path=whockey

10 person advisory committee including:
                Ashleigh Brykaliuk – Sophomore UMD women's hockey student-athlete.
                Sidney Morin – Sophomore UMD women's hockey student-athlete.
                So, the players are picking the coach! Hmmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
                  2 out of 10 spots. I actually applaud the school for including them. Once you leave the school (former players and alumni), or have been in administration, your viewpoint changes. Having a few hockey people on the search committee and having a few players on the committee. Seems to kill two birds with one stone. Both valuable viewpoints, that only make up 20% of the committee.
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95
                  Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    That would be a prudent thing to do for any Coach hiring at any level.

"The ability to communicate with each player as an individual is the most important aspect of coaching"...Straight from the mouth of the most esteemed coach in the game at some coaches conference when asked the question...Scotty Bowman.

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
                      More often than not it is to given an appearance of transparency and involvement from all levels. I'm sure the players will not do any interviewing. They are more likely to be on the comittee to provide input into what the players are looking for in a coach, or what they like to see improved (in general).

Last time one of our D's was playing on a varsity team where there was a coaching change, there was an upcoming senior player on the committee. (This was D1, a few years back now)

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                        More often than not it is to given an appearance of transparency and involvement from all levels. I'm sure the players will not do any interviewing. They are more likely to be on the comittee to provide input into what the players are looking for in a coach, or what they like to see improved (in general).

Last time one of our D's was playing on a varsity team where there was a coaching change, there was an upcoming senior player on the committee. (This was D1, a few years back now)
                        Not hockey, but many, MANY years ago when I was in school, I and 2 other undergraduate students were asked to sit on the search committee for the next Dean of our professional school. We individually interviewed each of the 5 candidates for 45 minutes and sat in the evaluation meetings for each candidate with the whole committee. I think the school took seriously the viewpoints of the students in that search (it wasn't the only consideration of course) and in fact I seem to remember that one of the candidates that the school admin folks liked best was ultimately disqualified because of significant concerns expressed by the 3 student committee members around their extreme focus on faculty and graduate student research and distinct and glaring lack of interest in the undergraduate population. Depending on the school, student search committee members can be meaningful and beneficial participants in the process.

Comment

This should not be overlooked.

The UMD connection is an easy one to make, the playing resume is without compare, but the right fit??? IMHO, no.

I would venture to guess that the homework has been done and she will get an interview out of respect, but the school will go a different direction.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeynut View Post
                            This should not be overlooked.

The UMD connection is an easy one to make, the playing resume is without compare, but the right fit??? IMHO, no.

I would venture to guess that the homework has been done and she will get an interview out of respect, but the school will go a different direction.
                            Nor should it be taken as an automatic disqualifier. A school like Trinity that relies primarily on its academic rather than athletic reputation is likely to be MUCH more considerate of student and player complaints than a school like UMD that has a D1 program and is more intent on being successful. The threshold for administrative intervention is almost certainly lower at Trinity. And I don't know what the specific issues were with Potter that led to the meeting - they could have had the meeting and decided that it wasn't a valid complaint or issue (although folks I know there still aren't huge fans of hers). Obviously whatever it was has been corrected to the point where she is still there and the team are NESCAC champions, so she can apparently take input and course correct. That's a skill and qualification right there - "able to take administration input/direction and adjust behavior to meet school guidelines".

Comment

so what other women might be available?
                              UW's Friesen?
                              UM's Muzerall?
                              BC's Kennedy?
                              ????
                              is there a another former Bulldog that isn't tainted?
                              an alumni of the UMD men's program?
                              someone else?

Comment

Nor should it be taken as an automatic disqualifier. A school like Trinity that relies primarily on its academic rather than athletic reputation is likely to be MUCH more considerate of student and player complaints than a school like UMD that has a D1 program and is more intent on being successful. The threshold for administrative intervention is almost certainly lower at Trinity. And I don't know what the specific issues were with Potter that led to the meeting - they could have had the meeting and decided that it wasn't a valid complaint or issue (although folks I know there still aren't huge fans of hers). Obviously whatever it was has been corrected to the point where she is still there and the team are NESCAC champions, so she can apparently take input and course correct. That's a skill and qualification right there - "able to take administration input/direction and adjust behavior to meet school guidelines".
                                A couple of years ago I heard Trinity was considered the party school of the NESCAC. If Potter came in and tried to change that type of culture to a higher level culture and the players didn't want to change they would have resisted and found a way to complain about her because that's what student-athletes do today. They feel entitled to be in charge of something they know nothing about, how to run a competitive hockey program. I think there are a lot of D-III athletes that are less inclined to adapt well or even want a D-I mindset and approach. When kids don't like something they complain when instead they should leave the program because they don't fit into the new coach's philosophy. She might not be a "player's coach" but obviously something's working this year over last year. They have the NECSAC crown to show for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X