Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shannon Miller out at UMD?

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    A friend pointed out that there were 7 underclassmen on last years roster that do not appear on this years. I went looking for last years roster to see who & if I could see were they went but the only roster on the UMD site is this years.
    Hannah Bramm - transferred to Penn State
    Sofia Carlström - not playing, still enrolled at UMD
    Alivia Del Basso - not playing
    Marie Delarbre - not playing 2014-2015, transferred to new program at Merrimack
    Maddie Kolls - not playing (was a previous transfer to UMD), still enrolled at UMD
    Jordan Krause - transferred to Northeastern
    Bailey Wright - transferred in-conference to Bemidji State and is redshirting 2014-2015 per WCHA rules
    Last edited by CrazyDave; 12-22-2014, 10:04 PM.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      A friend pointed out that there were 7 underclassmen on last years roster that do not appear on this years. I went looking for last years roster to see who & if I could see were they went but the only roster on the UMD site is this years. Interestingly enough they picked up a refugee from Grand Forks.
      Jordan Krause- Northeastern
      Bailey Wright- Bemidji State
      Hannah Bramm- Penn State
      Marie Delarbre- Merrimack
      Alivia del Basso- Moved back home to Australia

With 7 freshmen, two transfers, and the return of Lacquette and Gillanders, players were told it would be highly competitive to gain a spot in the roster that dressed for games. Some players opted to transfer to programs in which they would actually get playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by CrankIt View Post
        With 7 freshmen, two transfers, and the return of Lacquette and Gillanders, players were told it would be highly competitive to gain a spot in the roster that dressed for games. Some players opted to transfer to programs in which they would actually get playing time.
        Were there plans to bring so many new faces in prior to all the departures? That seems excessive, even for UMD.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
          Were there plans to bring so many new faces in prior to all the departures? That seems excessive, even for UMD.
          Yes there was... As I mentioned in a previous post, many players are forced to wait an extra year before UMD will admit them. I believe Two of the Swedes were supposed to play last year but were not admitted.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
            Maddie Kolls - not playing (was a previous transfer to UMD), still enrolled at UMD
            To my knowledge, Kolls Used all of her eligibility but is remaining at UMD to finish her degree

Comment

looks like 3 players on this years roster transferred in.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                looks like 3 players on this years roster transferred in.
                Only one for this year. Michela Cava transferred from UConn this season. Meghan Huertas transferred last season after she was released by Vermont. Not sure where you're getting the third from

Comment

Only one for this year. Michela Cava transferred from UConn this season. Meghan Huertas transferred last season after she was released by Vermont. Not sure where you're getting the third from
                  Karissa Kirkup, who played at Maine last year, is not shown on the roster on the UMD website but played in (or at least dressed for) 9 games for the Bulldogs. She's listed on the roster on collegehockeystats.net.

That said, it appears she's already left the team. I just found an article dated earlier this month (before the Miller news broke) indicating she's going to be playing at the University of Manitoba next year. http://mytoba.ca/sports/kirkup-vance...ockey-program/
                  Last edited by CrazyDave; 12-23-2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                    Karissa Kirkup -- came in from Maine this year.
                    Kirkup left the team without warning before the Cornell series. I'm talking packed up her room without her roommates knowing and just left town.

Comment

Kirkup left the team without warning before the Cornell series. I'm talking packed up her room without her roommates knowing and just left town.
                      See the edits to my previous post. But thanks for the follow-up.

Comment

Wow, more turmoil than I was aware of. It's hard to build a cohesive unit with so many players coming and going, which makes their mostly winning ways this season pretty remarkable.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Left Maine and has already left this team too????????? Must be the coaches.
                          Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                            Left Maine and has already left this team too????????? Must be the coaches.
                            I hope I'm sensing the sarcasm here. This would seem to be more indicative of the character of the player and not the coaching staffs

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Wow, more turmoil than I was aware of. It's hard to build a cohesive unit with so many players coming and going, which makes their mostly winning ways this season pretty remarkable.
                              I would mostly agree with your point here. However, I do also think that the players that have left were bringing the team down. The past couple seasons there has been a culture of players not willing to put in the hard work and effort necessary to be a D1 athlete. Some, not all, were definitely more interested in the college party scene than the college hockey scene.
                              This year's group seems to have really bought into the system and are fully committed to the program and getting back to being the top program in the country

Comment

However, I do also think that the players that have left were bringing the team down. The past couple seasons there has been a culture of players not willing to put in the hard work and effort necessary to be a D1 athlete. Some, not all, were definitely more interested in the college party scene than the college hockey scene.
                                When the coach has been in place that long, the culture is on her as much as the athletes. They are her recruits. If she's going to take credit when the team wins -- and she has always been very willing to do so -- then she should own the failures more than she has. Over the years, it's always been blamed on admissions or some players on the fourth line or Jeff Vizenor, but she's recruited some players that weren't very good and then played others out of position. It would be refreshing if she'd say, "I've got to admit, that wasn't my besting coaching job." About the closest she has ever come do doing so that I've heard was when she admitted at the WCHA Tourney last year that she tried some experiments in the series in Minneapolis that just plain didn't work, and her team was lousy in that series. There's been more swings and misses in recent years, and I think that's partly because the coaches she's matched against these days are on average better than they were 15 years ago.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X