• Show
Clear All

• Re: Shannon Miller out at UMD?

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Money
    It is almost always about the Money.

Comment

Came across this article that I thought some might find interesting.

Love her or hate her, she has made significant contributions to the game of women's hockey and deserves thanks from fans like those of us who attend this forum...even though humility isn't one of her virtues...

https://thecoachessite.com/2016/06/2...r-to-champion/

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        Well, yes. The rules of the legal system very rarely let you sue for anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

Love her or hate her, she has made significant contributions to the game of women's hockey and deserves thanks from fans like those of us who attend this forum...even though humility isn't one of her virtues...

If she had walked away from UMD quietly, she would likely be coaching D1 somewhere. The noise generated with her exit has made it almost impossible for her to coach again anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            But not always, every time.

As Bon Jovi put it: You live for the fight when it's all that you've got. With no coaching position, fighting for her causes is what she's got.

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
            Well, yes. The rules of the legal system very rarely let you sue for anything else.
            Close. People can and do file specific performance claims with some frequency. It's success that's the rarity.

My belief is that the views expressed by Shannon in this article are genuine. You may disagree with her methods. If so, you'd have a lot of company. You may disagree with some or all of her politics. Again, you'd have a lot of company.

Still, Shannon truly believes she's a pioneer and warrior for her causes, be that cause her sport, gender, affectional preference or even nationality. The money is the means to carry on the fight, because specific performance is so unlikely to succeed.

Like Arthur before her, she's not a fool. She'll take the money if it comes her way. But it's not her primary motivation, IMHO.
            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 09-04-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
              If she had walked away from UMD quietly, she would likely be coaching D1 somewhere. The noise generated with her exit has made it almost impossible for her to coach again anywhere.
              Your two points have been made by several others here in the last year and a half and are most likely correct.

However, there sometimes, possibly often, comes a time during one's life when a person has to decide whether standing up for principles is more important than financial considerations or, in Miller's case, assuming that her version of events is true, whether they want to stand up to abusers and be counted or continue along with their tail between their legs accepting the abuse knowing that the abusers will not be held accountable by anyone and no one but she and the abusers will ever know the truth.

The question then becomes, "if not me, who?".

While she is not my favourite person, I give her a lot of credit for standing up and being counted knowing that, in addition to the scrutiny she would be putting herself under in this explosive situation with her accusations and UMD's expected denials, she would take flack from her detractors who aren't able to separate the two issues of her standing up for principle on the one hand and their dislike for her on the other.

Most people talk a great game but when it comes time to perform they can't be found because they are hiding in a dark room in the basement, cowering from life hoping they won't be discovered.

For this reason, in this situation, she has my respect.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

My belief is that the views expressed by Shannon in this article are genuine. You may disagree with her methods. If so, you'd have a lot of company. You may disagree with some or all of her politics. Again, you'd have a lot of company.

Still, Shannon truly believes she's a pioneer and warrior for her causes, be that cause her sport, gender, affectional preference or even nationality. The money is the means to carry on the fight, because specific performance is so unlikely to succeed.

Like Arthur before her, she's not a fool. She'll take the money if it comes her way. But it's not her primary motivation, IMHO.
                I agree completely that the details and views she expressed in the article are genuine. Her methods and or politics...I don't particularly care about.

I mentioned humility not being one of her virtues so as to differentiate between that unpopular character trait and the contributions she has made to the game of women's hockey. In other words, you don't have to be humble in order to contribute. Who knows?...That trait might just be part of her nature or she may generally in most circumstances subscribe to the marketing axiom "say something good about me, say something bad about me, I don't care what you say, just say something about me" and act accordingly to bring about the desired result...that being attention which creates a higher profile.

I also agree with the rest of your post as this has been and is my view as well...with one exception.

While I agree that the money is not her primary motivation I'm not so sure that she has thought it through as well as you have with respect to the money, if she wins to whatever extent, being the means to carry on the fight. I'm more inclined to think that her view is more immediate/limited rather than long term...meaning that any victory (money) is the battle won and consequently the point made.

Regardless, if her version of events is true, these deadbeats need to be exposed.
                Last edited by Blackbeard; 09-04-2016, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I also agree with the rest of your post as this has been and is my view as well...with one exception.

While I agree that the money is not her primary motivation I'm not so sure that she has thought it through as well as you have with respect to the money, if she wins to whatever extent, being the means to carry on the fight.
                  Those in the thick of the fight will have a somewhat different view of things than the armchair QB, no question. It's probably fair to say my formulation is a bit more long term, or at least a bit more detached, in comparison to the litigants.

I'm more inclined to think that her view is more immediate/limited rather than long term...meaning that any victory (money) is the battle won and consequently the point made.
                  Not sure if we agree 100%, but this is very close to what I was driving at. Shannon's motivations are winning the battle and making the point. When you're a zealot, which she most certainly is, gaining wealth is just a side show.

Most of us see litigation as expensive, stressful and divisive. A catastrophe to be avoided unless there's no other choice. In contrast, the zealot wants the fight. She sees litigation as an avenue to fight for a just cause, and doesn't really care about the collateral damage.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Those in the thick of the fight will have a somewhat different view of things than the armchair QB, no question. It's probably fair to say my formulation is a bit more long term, or at least a bit more detached, in comparison to the litigants.

Not sure if we agree 100%, but this is very close to what I was driving at. Shannon's motivations are winning the battle and making the point. When you're a zealot, which she most certainly is, gaining wealth is just a side show.

Most of us see litigation as expensive, stressful and divisive. A catastrophe to be avoided unless there's no other choice. In contrast, the zealot wants the fight. She sees litigation as an avenue to fight for a just cause, and doesn't really care about the collateral damage.
                    Excellent post. Could not agree more.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Love her or hate her, she has made significant contributions to the game of women's hockey and deserves thanks from fans like those of us who attend this forum...

You know Blackbeard, I am glad there is a UMD fan on this forum willing to stand up and make this statement on behalf of Shannon Miller given her five Nat'l Championships and early struggles on behalf of the women's game. I think it is a worthy sentiment.

And I will resist the temptation to restate and rehash my thoughts on her and her lawsuit against UMD.

Comment

For this reason, in this situation, she has my respect.
                        Thumbs up to your posts on this thread. Board says must spread, so I'll commend you this way.

Comment

• I think everyone can acknowledge and respect what she accomplished as a coach and what she did for the game. Her place in the game is not in question and I think she deserves full credit for that. Her inflated ego is a different issue but she is definitely not alone in that category...there are always plenty of coaches past, present, and future, with equally inflated egos at all levels of the game and of both genders including youth hockey coaches, which is always interesting. The difference is she is still in a negative spotlight because she's in current litigation so she's just in the news more, that's all. This moment will pass.
                          Last edited by shelfit; 09-05-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X