Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The polls - scratching KRACH, PWC, CoP and robbery! ...---...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spwood View Post

BTW, I don't think much changes if Stevens Point doesn't win the WIAC. We've seen champions in Pool B conferences left out before. River Falls has too big a hill to climb to pass Steven Point (or Hobart for that matter). I firmly believe Stevens Point is in win or lose and that River Falls is playing its last game on Saturday.
    My implication was that if Point loses to RF on Saturday the Pool B could justifiably be awarded to Hobart (should they beat Neumann), and it would put both Point and RF in the Pool C discussion at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by spwood View Post
      Except that you are giving too much weight to Trinity losing to Tufts over the weekend. In the NCAA's eyes, that loss is no worse than UMass Boston losing to Connecticut College January 4th. (Or St. Norbert's loss to St. Scholastica on Feb 6th.

I did find it funny that one of your points is that two of your losses are to a WIAC semi-finalist. With only 5 teams in the conference, practically everyone is a semi-finalist.

Look, bottom line is that there are more quality teams than the NCAA lets us have in the tournament. I understand your frustration, but it is what it is. After the field is announced, if St. Norbert doesn't make it (I really think they're going to beat Adrian this weekend and your worrying will have all been for nothing!), there will be a thread for "My team got screwed". Until then, relax a little... a lot is going to happen before you have to get this worked up.
      He said NCHA semi finalist...

Comment

• Re: The polls - scratching KRACH, PWC, CoP and robbery! ...---...

Originally posted by altazo View Post
        He said NCHA semi finalist...
        My bad!
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95
        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
          Except that you are giving too much weight to Trinity losing to Tufts over the weekend. In the NCAA's eyes, that loss is no worse than UMass Boston losing to Connecticut College January 4th. (Or St. Norbert's loss to St. Scholastica on Feb 6th.

I did find it funny that one of your points is that two of your losses are to a WIAC semi-finalist. With only 5 teams in the conference, practically everyone is a semi-finalist.

Look, bottom line is that there are more quality teams than the NCAA lets us have in the tournament. I understand your frustration, but it is what it is. After the field is announced, if St. Norbert doesn't make it (I really think they're going to beat Adrian this weekend and your worrying will have all been for nothing!), there will be a thread for "My team got screwed". Until then, relax a little... a lot is going to happen before you have to get this worked up.
          the "My team got screwed " thread very popular come mid-March,always fun to read

Comment

Originally posted by snc11
            That being said, I know SNC goes into this weekend's championship game in better shape than they did going into the first Adrian weekend and I'm hopeful for a win; however, I'm just pointing out that I believe that SNC gets in no matter what.
            Here's how I see it.. (and it doesn't mean that much because absolutely anything could happen next weekend with so many good teams vying for NCAA births, and we need to see the official rankings later today) ..only one 6-loss team will earn a Pool-C bid.

Hear me out:
            - ECAC West/WIAC Pool B bid goes to either Hobart or Stevens-Point. If Hobart beats Neumann, they're a 6-loss team that might get in. If SP beats River Falls, there a 5-loss team that could get the Pool B bid over Hobart. This leaves either Hobart or SP waiting for a pool-C chance.

- Trinity & Amherst are at 3 & 4 losses. If neither win their conference, they're at 4 & 5 losses waiting for a Pool C chance.

- Norwich & UMB are at 3 & 4 losses. If Babson beats Norwich, Norwich & UMB will be sitting at 4 losses waiting for a Pool C chance. One of them will get it. If Norwich wins, Babson is at 6 losses and UMB at 4, so UMB will continue to wait for a Pool C Chance. This leaves trinity/amherst, UMB/Norwich, Hobart/Stevens Point vying for at larges.

- Adrian is a 3 loss team, so if they don't win their conference, they're in at 4 losses (SNC would get auto-bid). If they do win, St. Norberts sits at 6 losses waiting for a Pool C chance. (Now were at Trinity/Amherst, UMB/Norwich, Hobart/Stevens Point, Adrian/SNC)

- Oswego is a 3 loss team, so if they don't win their conference, they're also in at 4 losses (Platty would get the auto-bid). If they do win, Plattsburgh sits at 6 losses waiting for a Pool C chance. (Now we're at Trinity/Amherst, UMB/Norwich, Hobart/SP, Adrian/SNC, Oswego/Platty).

- Nichols SOS keeps them out of contention if they don't win their league (4 losses won't matter because of SOS).

So the teams vying for potential Pool C spots are!!...

Trinity (4 losses)/ Amherst (5 losses)
            UMB (4 losses)/Norwich (4 losses)
            Hobart (6/7 losses)/Stevens Point (5/6 losses)
            Adrian (4 losses)/St. Norbert's (6 losses)
            Oswego (4 losses)/Platty (6 losses)

If all the top seeds win their tourneys, then the Pool C bids would go to 4 loss UMB, 5 loss Amherst, and 6 loss SNC/Plattsburgh/Hobart/Stevens Point. If any of the teams that are top-seeded don't win, then they will go to NCAAs, and leave one of these other teams in the dust. Therefore I don't see how more than 1 6 loss team could make it, and if things go crazy this weekend, maybe any.

Guys - I know selections are more than just record based, but I just think this is how it breaks down at the end of the day.
            Alabama grad '09 Roll D@mn Tide

Babson MBA '11 Go beavers!

"It's not the critic who counts..."

Comment

I think the smoke filled room would work a whole lot better if it were tastey buds burning...although you would have to cut off the snacks to get the final vote completed... #DavesNotHereMan
              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                I think the smoke filled room would work a whole lot better if it were tastey buds burning...although you would have to cut off the snacks to get the final vote completed... #DavesNotHereMan
                Alas, the smoke is from the tempers
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by snc11
                  You find it funny because that is how you read it, not because I wrote it that way. The two losses I was referring to were to the "NCHA Conference" semi-finalist (MSOE and St. Scholastica). Aside from the two teams (Adrian and Stevens Point) ranked ahead of SNC in the NCAA poll, they have only those two losses on the season.
                  Obviously you missed where this was pointed out to me and I acknowledged it.
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                    Alas, the smoke is from the tempers
                    Meanwhile in D3 basketball, PLattsburgh ranked #2 in the East got left home after losing the SUNYAC final...must be the same committee
                    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by ECACeastFAN View Post
                      Here's how I see it.. (and it doesn't mean that much because absolutely anything could happen next weekend with so many good teams vying for NCAA births, and we need to see the official rankings later today) ..only one 6-loss team will earn a Pool-C bid.

Hear me out:
                      - ECAC West/WIAC Pool B bid goes to either Hobart or Stevens-Point. If Hobart beats Neumann, they're a 6-loss team that might get in. If SP beats River Falls, there a 5-loss team that could get the Pool B bid over Hobart. This leaves either Hobart or SP waiting for a pool-C chance.

- Trinity & Amherst are at 3 & 4 losses. If neither win their conference, they're at 4 & 5 losses waiting for a Pool C chance.

- Norwich & UMB are at 3 & 4 losses. If Babson beats Norwich, Norwich & UMB will be sitting at 4 losses waiting for a Pool C chance. One of them will get it. If Norwich wins, Babson is at 6 losses and UMB at 4, so UMB will continue to wait for a Pool C Chance. This leaves trinity/amherst, UMB/Norwich, Hobart/Stevens Point vying for at larges.

- Adrian is a 3 loss team, so if they don't win their conference, they're in at 4 losses (SNC would get auto-bid). If they do win, St. Norberts sits at 6 losses waiting for a Pool C chance. (Now were at Trinity/Amherst, UMB/Norwich, Hobart/Stevens Point, Adrian/SNC)

- Oswego is a 3 loss team, so if they don't win their conference, they're also in at 4 losses (Platty would get the auto-bid). If they do win, Plattsburgh sits at 6 losses waiting for a Pool C chance. (Now we're at Trinity/Amherst, UMB/Norwich, Hobart/SP, Adrian/SNC, Oswego/Platty).

- Nichols SOS keeps them out of contention if they don't win their league (4 losses won't matter because of SOS).

So the teams vying for potential Pool C spots are!!...

Trinity (4 losses)/ Amherst (5 losses)
                      UMB (4 losses)/Norwich (4 losses)
                      Hobart (6/7 losses)/Stevens Point (5/6 losses)
                      Adrian (4 losses)/St. Norbert's (6 losses)
                      Oswego (4 losses)/Platty (6 losses)

If all the top seeds win their tourneys, then the Pool C bids would go to 4 loss UMB, 5 loss Amherst, and 6 loss SNC/Plattsburgh/Hobart/Stevens Point. If any of the teams that are top-seeded don't win, then they will go to NCAAs, and leave one of these other teams in the dust. Therefore I don't see how more than 1 6 loss team could make it, and if things go crazy this weekend, maybe any.

Guys - I know selections are more than just record based, but I just think this is how it breaks down at the end of the day.
                      Forgot Trinity lost already.. but still have them or Amherst getting a Pool C if Amherst doesn't win the NESCAC
                      Alabama grad '09 Roll D@mn Tide

Babson MBA '11 Go beavers!

"It's not the critic who counts..."

Comment

I believe Mass-Boston is done due to their SOS. Here's a composite of the two rankings system:
                        1. Adrian
                        2. Norwich
                        3. Oswego
                        4. Stevens Point
                        5. St. Norbert
                        6. Trinity
                        7. Plattsburgh
                        8. Amherst

Once a team wins, take them off this list. The one's remaining will be your Pool B (Stevens Point) and Pool C's. Hobart gets the B only with a win and a Stevens Point loss. I'm assuming Trinity has one of the Pool C's. The home team/favorites would be: Adrian,Plattsburgh, Norwich, Amherst. ECAC Northeast, MIAC, MASCAC are one bid conferences. If they all would win for instance the next team on the list is Oswego then Stevens Point then St. Norbert, etc. It works pretty well in the past with a few surprises. One key is Trinity. Are they punished for a QF loss to the point where it destroys their body of work? Another sticky one is Amherst. Should they be upset in the NESCAC tourney, where would they come out? I think Norwich, Oswego and Stevens Point are in pretty good shape for at least a bid. Plattsburgh and St. Norbert would need everyone to hold serve to have a shot at Pool C.

Comment

Originally posted by Cards81 View Post
                          I believe Mass-Boston is done due to their SOS. Here's a composite of the two rankings system:
                          1. Adrian
                          2. Norwich
                          3. Oswego
                          4. Stevens Point
                          5. St. Norbert
                          6. Trinity
                          7. Plattsburgh
                          8. Amherst

Once a team wins, take them off this list. The one's remaining will be your Pool B (Stevens Point) and Pool C's. Hobart gets the B only with a win and a Stevens Point loss. I'm assuming Trinity has one of the Pool C's. The home team/favorites would be: Adrian,Plattsburgh, Norwich, Amherst. ECAC Northeast, MIAC, MASCAC are one bid conferences. If they all would win for instance the next team on the list is Oswego then Stevens Point then St. Norbert, etc. It works pretty well in the past with a few surprises. One key is Trinity. Are they punished for a QF loss to the point where it destroys their body of work? Another sticky one is Amherst. Should they be upset in the NESCAC tourney, where would they come out? I think Norwich, Oswego and Stevens Point are in pretty good shape for at least a bid. Plattsburgh and St. Norbert would need everyone to hold serve to have a shot at Pool C.
                          The USCHO and d3hockey.com polls mean absolutely nothing when it comes to selecting teams to the NCAA Tournament.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

• You newbies are awesome. While some may poke fun at some of your theories and predictions, keep up the good work! The whole leading up to the selection show is better than the show itself it seems at times. Several teams have legitimate points for being selected and at the same time can find reasons for not being selected. The biggest thing I can stress is that "feelings" can/shouldn't be involved because just like you and I , we will have different opinions based on the same criteria. Keep in mind that there will always be teams who have a better criteria score that aren't ranked,let alone in the tournament. Lastly along those lines we CAN NOT get caught up in JUST winn-loss record. This is just 1 of the criteria. The question becomes WHAT criteria will the committee weight the most and what the least. Keep in mind if the committee chooses to weight criteria "x" heavier for the first team, they must use the same weight to ALL teams. IE if the committee is weighting SOS more, even though Team A wins criteria 3-2, team B could be ahead of Team A. Another thing to keep in mind :

1. Team A
                            2. Team B
                            3. Team C
                            4. Team D

Team D may beat Team B in criteria, but not Team C...this scenario happens a lot....brace yourself now!
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I think if all of the home teams win this weekend, the Pool Cs are Trinity, Oswego, and Hobart. That, and a dollar, buy you any size coffee at McDonalds... it is fun to speculate though!
                              Steve
                              Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                                You newbies are awesome. While some may poke fun at some of your theories and predictions, keep up the good work! The whole leading up to the selection show is better than the show itself it seems at times. Several teams have legitimate points for being selected and at the same time can find reasons for not being selected. The biggest thing I can stress is that "feelings" can/shouldn't be involved because just like you and I , we will have different opinions based on the same criteria. Keep in mind that there will always be teams who have a better criteria score that aren't ranked,let alone in the tournament. Lastly along those lines we CAN NOT get caught up in JUST winn-loss record. This is just 1 of the criteria. The question becomes WHAT criteria will the committee weight the most and what the least. Keep in mind if the committee chooses to weight criteria "x" heavier for the first team, they must use the same weight to ALL teams. IE if the committee is weighting SOS more, even though Team A wins criteria 3-2, team B could be ahead of Team A. Another thing to keep in mind :

1. Team A
                                2. Team B
                                3. Team C
                                4. Team D

Team D may beat Team B in criteria, but not Team C...this scenario happens a lot....brace yourself now!
                                And let's not forget the travel distance issues that have left us scratching our heads in the past. If Adrian get's in perhaps the Committee tosses another curveball.

Comment

Working...
                                X