Tech Assistance - streaming games to HDTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Assistance - streaming games to HDTV

I'm hoping someone on the board has figured out a good system for watching games on big screen HDTVs.

We just got a new set (Samsung 6201). I'm able to stream content to it via Chromecast. Youtube videos & such work really well. Streaming games, however, are really jumpy. They look a lot smoother on my computer, but are choppy and annoying to watch when streamed via Chromecast to the new TV.

Can't watch games directly from web sites on the TV (lack of Flash player), despite the fact it's a "smart TV." (Really, when are Adobe and all the device makers gonna figure out this Flash thing!?!?!? -- but that's another thread).

Any thoughts on hardware / software to get a quality college sports streaming experience on HDTV?

Some specific ?'s below:
    Our new set lacks the quad core processors (that's the next step up in price point). Would that make a difference?

Is there a Flash version that can be put on these units, so the built-in web browser can play content?

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post
    I'm hoping someone on the board has figured out a good system for watching games on big screen HDTVs.

We just got a new set (Samsung 6201). I'm able to stream content to it via Chromecast. Youtube videos & such work really well. Streaming games, however, are really jumpy. They look a lot smoother on my computer, but are choppy and annoying to watch when streamed via Chromecast to the new TV.

Can't watch games directly from web sites on the TV (lack of Flash player), despite the fact it's a "smart TV." (Really, when are Adobe and all the device makers gonna figure out this Flash thing!?!?!? -- but that's another thread).

Any thoughts on hardware / software to get a quality college sports streaming experience on HDTV?

Some specific ?'s below:
    Our new set lacks the quad core processors (that's the next step up in price point). Would that make a difference?

Is there a Flash version that can be put on these units, so the built-in web browser can play content?
    I've always connected my laptop directly to my TV with an HDMI cable. I don't loose any signal quality at all.

Just select the proper input on your tv.

Edit: just read your post again and saw "computer". I am now presuming that you only have a desktop.
    Last edited by Cali; 11-30-2014, 03:03 PM.
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Re: Tech Assistance - streaming games to HDTV

Originally posted by Cali View Post
      I've always connected my laptop directly to my TV with an HDMI cable. I don't loose any signal quality at all.

Just select the proper input on your tv.

Edit: just read your post again and saw "computer". I am now presuming that you only have a desktop.
      Cool, thanks. I have both laptop & desktop, so I'll figure out some connection. I've been researching the in-TV flash thing, and the web (and Samsung's tech support) claim that the TV does have flash -- just don't expect it to work for all content, like it would on a real computer. It seems that the smartest smart TV would be a dumb monitor hooked up to a computer.

Comment

Cool, thanks. I have both laptop & desktop, so I'll figure out some connection. I've been researching the in-TV flash thing, and the web (and Samsung's tech support) claim that the TV does have flash -- just don't expect it to work for all content, like it would on a real computer. It seems that the smartest smart TV would be a dumb monitor hooked up to a computer.
        Just keep in mind that an HDTV is only useful if the originating signal is broadcast in HD. The TV won't convert an SD signal into HD. The quality of the image on the laptop through streaming will remain true on a bigger screen. You don't create any more pixilation on a larger screen.
        ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
          Just keep in mind that an HDTV is only useful if the originating signal is broadcast in HD. The TV won't convert an SD signal into HD. The quality of the image on the laptop through streaming will remain true on a bigger screen. You don't create any more pixilation on a larger screen.
          Ten four. I feel like a dummy now. HDMI was the simple solution. Smart TVs are stupid.

Now, can someone tell me how to rewind DVDs?

Comment

Ten four. I feel like a dummy now. HDMI was the simple solution. Smart TVs are stupid.

Now, can someone tell me how to rewind DVDs?
            I have other questions for computer minded people. Watched a game - oops should say, paid to watch about 25% of a game( the mid period ice cleaning and post game hand shake were great and the audio worked too). I know our speeds aren't the greatest but would paying extra for better speeds even make a difference. Is the issue really on my end? Or is it the schools streaming arrangement? Are there some schools feeds that are a waste of money cause they never work well ? I know I have watched games on fast hockey and never had as much issues lately. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by LG4 View Post
              I have other questions for computer minded people. Watched a game - oops should say, paid to watch about 25% of a game( the mid period ice cleaning and post game hand shake were great and the audio worked too). I know our speeds aren't the greatest but would paying extra for better speeds even make a difference. Is the issue really on my end? Or is it the schools streaming arrangement? Are there some schools feeds that are a waste of money cause they never work well ? I know I have watched games on fast hockey and never had as much issues lately. Thanks
              We usually have good luck with streamed games from Hockey East & ECAC schools. We occasionally get feeds like the one you describe -- maybe 1 out of 10 games (which is still frustratingly bad). If you don't plan on watching any more games from that school, complain to their service's customer support & request a refund. I did that once, and they were good about it. (And cancel subscription to the Away schools.)

We typically watch via cable internet connection, but I've also had good results with a mobile 4G hotspot (EVDO stick) & laptop. If you have good 4G coverage in your location, that might be something to check into -- at least to compare against your regular internet service. My sense is that if all your other streams work just fine (Netflix, youtube, etc.), then it's more likely an issue at the source end and not your end. But I'm not sure if streamed games require more bandwidth than other common video sources.

Comment

Originally posted by LG4 View Post
                I know our speeds aren't the greatest but would paying extra for better speeds even make a difference. Is the issue really on my end? Or is it the schools streaming arrangement? Thanks
                Sometimes I wonder that myself. I bought two games from Ohio State a couple weeks ago. The 2nd one was fine and the first one had problems throughout the game with buffering and skipping.

I decided that I thought the problem was on their end because I heard someone else complaining about the feed as well. Also, there was skips in the archived version of that game.

Comment

[QUOTE=AggiesHockey;6051880]We usually have good luck with streamed games from Hockey East & ECAC schools. We occasionally get feeds like the one you describe -- maybe 1 out of 10 games (which is still frustratingly bad). If you don't plan on watching any more games from that school, complain to their service's customer support & request a refund. I did that once, and they were good about it. (And cancel subscription to the Away schools.)

We typically watch via cable internet connection, but I've also had good results with a mobile 4G hotspot (EVDO stick) & laptop. If you have good 4G coverage in your location, that might be something to check into -- at least to compare against your regular internet service. My sense is that if all your other streams work just fine (Netflix, youtube, etc.), then it's more likely an issue at the source end and not your end. But I'm not sure if streamed games require more bandwidth than other common video sources {Quote

rural here. Sometimes I can barely get my network even though I see towers nearby and what would that take data wise? netflik no problems. I will complain though cause it was ridiculously bad. Maybe more complaints would make schools and servers such as Eversport do a little more to actually provide a good feed. So please feel free to make a list so I know where not to waste time and money. I know I had a horrible Harvard feed as well

Comment

Working...
                  X