Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 468

Thread: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

  1. #361

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    54,187

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shirtlessbob View Post
    "what if your mother had aborted you?"
    then we wouldn't be having this dreadful conversation!
    -jim david
    lol
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  2. #362
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,545

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    There is a really "interesting" court case underway right now that might have some unexpected ramifications for the thread topic.

    When Nick Loeb and Sofia Vergara were engaged, they tried in vitro fertilization to have a child. Two embryos resulted that were frozen.

    Now that they are no longer together, they are engaged in a court battle over whether Loeb can take custody of the embryos on his own and have them brought to term in a surrogate mother. Vergara is fighting this move.

    Somehow, along the way, the embryos got their own attorney to represent them. Apparently, the legal agreement between Loeb and Vergara specifies that, if the two of them are unable to come to a resolution on what to do with the embryos, then the embryos will be destroyed. Consequently, the Trustee of a trust that was established to provide for the embryos' welfare after they were born filed suit to protect their "right for a chance at life." [no, this is not something from the Onion!]


    The Forbes article doesn't have all the details, but most of them.

    Whether the case is resolved after a trial or if the Judge agrees with Vergara's legal position and throws out the lawsuit, it is a near-certainty that the losing side will appeal to the California Court of Appeals. Ultimately, given the uniqueness of this type of case and the high stakes involved -- with two potential lives in the balance -- the appeal would like [sic] proceed to the California Supreme Court, and perhaps even the United States Supreme Court. If that happens, it will be very interesting to see how the higher courts view the right to life for frozen embryos, which recent CDC statistics show have about a 30-40% chance of resulting in a live birth, based on Vergara's age at the time the embryo's were created.

    In other words, because of the reality that most frozen embryos, like the ones that Vergara and Loeb created, would not result in both successful implantation and a live birth, this lawsuit is not really about the right to life as it is to the right for a chance at life. Loeb essentially contends that life is so precious that even this chance at life compels him to fight for the embryos so that he can try to have them implanted and potentially brought to life.
    Here is more from The Daily Beast:

    The year-long fight between Sofia Vergara and her ex-fiancé Nick Loeb concerning the fate of two frozen embryos seemed all but over this week. Now a surprise and bizarre lawsuit filed in Louisiana on behalf of the embryos themselves by a mysterious cast of characters has breathed new life into the dispute and is poised to challenge a never-before-tested decades-old statute that gives embryos in one of the county’s most pro-life states, rights as people.
    While it may seem like a longshot, legal experts reached by The Daily Beast say the plaintiffs have got a small, but very real chance at some kind of success.
    The petition, filed in Jefferson Parish on Wednesday afternoon and reviewed by The Daily Beast, lists three plaintiffs: two embryos named Isabella and Emma, and ... the trustee of a fund meant to provide for [the embryos'] health, education, maintenance, and support.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 04-07-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  3. #363

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,202

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread


  4. #364
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    38,351

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    The Texas GOP takes $20 million from clean air initiatives to fund anti-abortion centers. One of these centers isn't even coming close to providing adequate care.

    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...rtion-centers/
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

  5. #365
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    38,351

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Today in unhinged political screeds: Had to listen to my dad on abortion:

    "All Planned Parenthood does is perform abortions."
    "Women who get abortions deserve to die in back alleys."
    "If you don't want kids, keep your legs closed."
    "Doctors who perform abortions should be given the death penalty."
    "There are other places that provide family-planning services."

    And on he went. I asked for evidence of his wild-***, hair shirt claims, and he still kept talking.

    Finally, I responded with this:

    "Dad, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

  6. #366
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,974

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Today in unhinged political screeds: Had to listen to my dad on abortion:

    "All Planned Parenthood does is perform abortions."
    "Women who get abortions deserve to die in back alleys."
    "If you don't want kids, keep your legs closed."
    "Doctors who perform abortions should be given the death penalty."
    "There are other places that provide family-planning services."

    And on he went. I asked for evidence of his wild-***, hair shirt claims, and he still kept talking.

    Finally, I responded with this:

    "Dad, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Happy Easter!
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  7. #367
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    38,351

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Happy Easter!
    Mmmhmm.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

  8. #368
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,545

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    If, like many on the left, you are a proponent of "disparate impact,"1 then abortion (as practiced in the USA, at least) is automatically racist:

    According to Centers for Disease Control, in 2013, for blacks, there were 420 abortions for every 1,000 live births. For whites, there were 121 abortions for every 1,000 live births.

    In other words, 30% of black pregnancies end in abortion, while 11% of white pregnancies end in abortion.





    1 Adverse effect of a practice or standard that is neutral and non-discriminatory in its intention but, nonetheless, disproportionately affects individuals belonging to a particular group based on their age, ethnicity, race, or sex
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  9. #369
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,002
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    If, like many on the left, you are a proponent of "disparate impact,"1 then abortion (as practiced in the USA, at least) is automatically racist:

    According to Centers for Disease Control, in 2013, for blacks, there were 420 abortions for every 1,000 live births. For whites, there were 121 abortions for every 1,000 live births.

    In other words, 30% of black pregnancies end in abortion, while 11% of white pregnancies end in abortion.





    1 Adverse effect of a practice or standard that is neutral and non-discriminatory in its intention but, nonetheless, disproportionately affects individuals belonging to a particular group based on their age, ethnicity, race, or sex
    Or it could mean that African Americans are more likely to live in circumstances where they feel they may not have the resources to properly raise a child, perhaps because government aid is being cut dramatically, and therefore abortion is a rational choice.

    Your statement also assumes abortions are inherently wrong, a sentiment which roughly 2/3rds of the country disagrees with.

  10. #370

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    54,187

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    If, like many on the left, you are a proponent of "disparate impact,"1 then abortion (as practiced in the USA, at least) is automatically racist
    Disparate impact refers to impositions on a person, not actions taken by a person. Your argument comes back to the fundamental error that a clump of cells is a person. It's not. The person in the situation is the woman.

    However, you do bring up the excellent point that by your own example state laws harassing women seeking abortions are inherently racist by disparate impact. Thank you for the excellent ammunition.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  11. #371
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    8,893

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Or it could mean that African Americans are more likely to live in circumstances where they feel they may not have the resources to properly raise a child, perhaps because government aid is being cut dramatically, and therefore abortion is a rational choice.
    It could also reflect less education on and access to contraceptives.

  12. #372
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,048

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    It could also reflect less education on and access to contraceptives.
    The correct answer. ^^^^



    Now let's take that information and make sure we take sex ed out of the schools, eliminate awareness funding, give everyone purity rings, and say a little prayer.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  13. #373
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,545

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by unofun View Post
    Your statement also assumes abortions are inherently wrong.
    This response assumes "disparate impact racism" is always wrong.....many people do agree that the mere existence of "disparate impact" itself does not necessarily prove racism exists. Refreshing to see that your logic forces you to agree!


    More seriously, you misapply the word "wrong." Nearly every abortion1, as noted by many people here, is merely an indication that other, less extreme methods of birth control did not work for some reason or another. Perhaps they were not even tried; due to lack of education or lack of access.

    I do think most reasonable people would agree that abortion "should not" be a birth control method of choice, because other, better, earlier methods exist, could be made readily available, and pose far fewer health risks to the mother.





    1 not including rape and incest
    Last edited by FreshFish; 04-27-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  14. #374
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,545

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    the fundamental error that a clump of cells is a person.
    You make a nascent human being sound like a form of cancer; a parasite forcing itself upon a woman against her will.




    That clump of cells may not yet be developmentally a "person;" there is no doubt however that it is genetically human.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  15. #375
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,048

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    It seems like the historical roots of Planned Parenthood indicate that one of the reasons it was founded by Margaret Sanger was as a way to slow the birth rate of that portion of the population that she deemed to be "genetically inferior."

    From NPR fact check:



    There is nothing here necessarily to suggest that Sanger herself was motivated by racial animus.
    That's well known and has been debated and discussed ad nauseam.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  16. #376
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,545

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    That's well known and has been debated and discussed ad nauseam.

    One form of racism assumes that all blacks are genetically inferior, no?

    For those people, promoting a disproportionately larger number of abortions among blacks would then be a way to reduce the rate of growth of the black portion of the population.

    An internet search quickly shows that a number of black activists view abortion as attempted genocide; just google "abortion black genocide" and see how many hits you get!

    A quick scan indicates that about half the hits view it that way, while the other half are furious attempts to debunk it....and why does one even bother to try to debunk something unless they think it has enough of a following to warrant being debunked in the first place?

    https://www.google.com/search?q=abor...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  17. #377
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,048

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    One form of racism assumes that all blacks are genetically inferior, no?

    For those people, promoting a disproportionately larger number of abortions among blacks would then be a way to reduce the rate of growth of the black portion of the population.

    An internet search quickly shows that a number of black activists view abortion as attempted genocide; just google "abortion black genocide" and see how many hits you get!

    A quick scan indicates that about half the hits view it that way, while the other half are furious attempts to debunk it....and why does one even bother to try to debunk something unless they think it has enough of a following to deserve to be debunked in the first place?

    https://www.google.com/search?q=abor...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Abortion in America isn't genocide, it's choice. Did you even bother to read post #371? Or no?
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  18. #378
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    25,974

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Why are we dragging PP into this? Their mission hasn't involved eugenics in several decades.

    Anyone who brings up Sanger and her racism is just distracting from the modern day facts.

  19. #379
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,002
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    You make a nascent human being sound like a form of cancer; a parasite forcing itself upon a woman against her will.




    That clump of cells may not yet be developmentally a "person;" there is no doubt however that it is genetically human.
    By that logic, an acorn is an oak tree and squirrels are the world's greatest monsters.

  20. #380

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    54,187

    Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    By that logic, an acorn is an oak tree and squirrels are the world's greatest monsters.
    Explains why my cats are after them.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •