X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Sure. But my position will drastically reduce the number of abortions. Yours will kill mothers and end up increasing the number of abortions in the World. Facts are facts.
    Excuse me if I missed this, but how does banning abortion increase the number of abortions? Please provide a link to the facts and the studies that have been done to prove your point.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
      Excuse me if I missed this, but how does banning abortion increase the number of abortions? Please provide a link to the facts and the studies that have been done to prove your point.
      The wealth of information that comes out of the study provides some striking lessons, the researchers said. In Uganda, where abortion is illegal and sex education programs focus only on abstinence, the estimated abortion rate was 54 per 1,000 women in 2003, more than twice the rate in the United States, 21 per 1,000 in that year. The lowest rate, 12 per 1,000, was in Western Europe, with legal abortion and widely available contraception.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/12/world/12abortion.html

Abortion is illegal in most of Africa, though. It is the second-leading cause of death among women admitted to hospitals in Ethiopia, its Health Ministry has said. It is the cause of 13 percent of maternal deaths at hospitals in Nigeria, recent studies have found.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        All because some dudes 2,000 years ago may or may not have experienced divine providence. Yet, somehow, after being transcribed and translated hundreds and maybe thousands of times, the Bible is still considered perfect and unquestionable. The word and intent of God's language has somehow been "telephoned" for 2,000 years and we don't expect a purple monkey dishwasher?

This is why I've had a falling out with mainstream Christianity. It's not that I don't have faith in a god or blessed ball of veal, beef, and pork. It's that I don't trust 2,000 years of man. I don't trust the last week of man.
        To be fair, there has been a lot of serious work done trying to reconstruct the "original" text of the Bible. The art/sciences of textual criticism and philology got their start from Biblical exigesis. There have been plenty of believers who were concerned with exactly the "telephone" problem you point out and who have done an honest job or trying to track down the original version of God's Word. I mean, if you believe that this is The Manual you want to make sure you've got the correct revision.

This isn't really possible for a number of reasons. There is no extant "original" text. The folkloric traditions which were eventually written down themselves go back into the mists of human history. Instances in which multiple authors seem to agree on events are typically just the residue of them copying off each other. And, well, the little problem that there's no such thing as gods, demons, and the supernatural.

IINM the best we have for the New Testament is source material from the 2nd century -- the problem there is it's already too late and the telelphone game has already infected the text. Decades of the nasty, petty, highly personal formative political battles of proto-Christianity are lost to us, because the winners destroyed everything that contradicted their version.

For the Old Testament the problem is the opposite -- you can go back before the "events" described and they turn up again and again in other cultures' literature that has nothing to do with Biblical sources. It's really embarrassing that by the time the Jews got around to writing down "their" history, every "event" they reported had already been "happened" over and over again in hundreds if not thousands of prior sources. It's as if the story that Washington could not tell a lie was ripped off from a story about Oliver Cromwell from a story about King Arthur.

Sumerian (just to pick one) stories prefigure much of the OT and the "historical" events reported by the Jewish scholars have an infinitude of precursors in the rhetorical devices of early man. Basically, whatever is going to be deemed important is (1) foretold in prophesy, (2) accompanied by miraculous signs, (3) involves a virgin birth, (4) involves a cataclysmic sacrifice, (5) is legitimized by a resurrection. These are the 5 basic plot points in all of our human stories for as far back as we have records. Everybody who has come along since has just hijacked them, like Pharaohs sandblasting the faces of the statues of predecessors and chiseling in their own.

They're mankind's first memes.
        Last edited by Kepler; 01-24-2017, 02:31 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          To be fair, there has been a lot of serious work done trying to reconstruct the "original" text of the Bible. The art/sciences of textual criticism and philology got their start from Biblical exigesis. There have been plenty of believers who were concerned with exactly the "telephone" problem you point out and who have done an honest job or trying to track down the original version of God's Word. I mean, if you believe that this is The Manual you want to make sure you've got the correct revision.

This isn't really possible for a number of reasons. There is no extant "original" text. The folkloric traditions which were eventually written down themselves go back into the mists of human history. Instances in which multiple authors seem to agree on events are typically just the residue of them copying off each other. And, well, the little problem that there's no such thing as gods, demons, and the supernatural.

IINM the best we have for the New Testament is source material from the 2nd century -- the problem there is it's already too late and the telelphone game has already infected the text. Decades of the nasty, petty, highly personal formative political battles of proto-Christianity are lost to us, because the winners destroyed everything that contradicted their version.

For the Old Testament the problem is the opposite -- you can go back before the "events" described and they turn up again and again in other cultures' literature that has nothing to do with Biblical sources. It's really embarrassing that by the time the Jews got around to writing down "their" history, every "event" they reported had already been "happened" over and over again in hundreds if not thousands of prior sources. It's as if the story that Washington could not tell a lie was ripped off from a story about Oliver Cromwell from a story about King Arthur.

Sumerian (just to pick one) stories prefigure much of the OT and the "historical" events reported by the Jewish scholars have an infinitude of precursors in the rhetorical devices of early man. Basically, whatever is going to be deemed important is (1) foretold in prophesy, (2) accompanied by miraculous signs, (3) involves a virgin birth, (4) involves a cataclysmic sacrifice, (5) is legitimized by a resurrection. These are the 5 basic plot points in all of our human stories for as far back as we have records. Everybody who has come along since has just hijacked them, like Pharaohs sandblasting the faces of the statues of predecessors and chiseling in their own.

They're mankind's first memes.
          Maybe the good book
          Came from the devine
          Or maybe it was written
          Just to keep us in line
          The mistakes of the sages
          Make the rules for the fools
          So father forgive me
          For bendin the rules.....

The Badlees
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
            The pro life faction demands a mother do something with her own body against her will because of the clump of cells growing within her.
            so remove "it" without killing "it" then....wouldn't that satisfy both sides?
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              That's not a medical reality at this point - especially first trimester.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Simply agreeing to end abstinence-only sex ed would be a major step towards ending (but not resolving) this debate.

Good luck getting the religious right to agree though. They'll just go on with, "Boys will be boys, and those naturally slutty girls (EVE'S FAULT!) should learn to hold an aspirin between their knees, or else."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Simply agreeing to end abstinence-only sex ed would be a major step towards ending (but not resolving) this debate.

Good luck getting the religious right to agree though. They'll just go on with, "Boys will be boys, and those naturally slutty girls (EVE'S FAULT!) should learn to hold an aspirin between their knees, or else."
                  It is ironic that the same fundies who preach that also have the worst problems when it comes to teen pregnancy. Why is it that the Crazy Christian daughters are the worst (best?) sluts, and the Crazy Christian preachers are always humping anything with a pulse?

It's almost as if their worldview is a Utopian atavism with no practical consideration given to facts and a completely delusional dependence on bad advice from con men preaching a misunderstanding of long obsolete iron age superstition.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 01-24-2017, 05:13 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    Sure thing. Where can you do that, again?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Sure thing. Where can you do that, again?
                      I think the GOP would be happy with a compromise: if the fetus is female, abort it; if the fetus is male, cut the woman open alive and rescue it.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I think the GOP would be happy with a compromise: if the fetus is female, abort it; if the fetus is male, cut the woman open alive and rescue it.
                        Doesn't work. Republicans need women for babies that turn into dead soldiers.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          I saw a great thing this last weekend- can't remember exact quote but I was in total agreement: I'll respect the pro life movement when they start pushing and recommending birth control. Until they do that, it's all about slut shaming. If preventing abortions was the goal, then they'd believe in cheap birth control vs women control
                          Was that my quote above?

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I agree. He doesn't seem to understand that no one wants to terminate a pregnancy. No one wants to be put into that position.

But yet he'll also says you don't get to have birth control either. So you can't prevent a pregnancy, you can't terminate it, and now you have to carry to full term. Which is just a roundabout way of slutshaming to conservatives.

All because some dudes 2,000 years ago may or may not have experienced divine providence. Yet, somehow, after being transcribed and translated hundreds and maybe thousands of times, the Bible is still considered perfect and unquestionable. The word and intent of God's language has somehow been "telephoned" for 2,000 years and we don't expect a purple monkey dishwasher?

This is why I've had a falling out with mainstream Christianity. It's not that I don't have faith in a god or blessed ball of veal, beef, and pork. It's that I don't trust 2,000 years of man. I don't trust the last week of man.

But I digress.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            That actually might work for them

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Who would they harass/rape/etc after the women are gone? Won't work.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I was just going to post the same thing.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X