X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    If you had chosen to go to college a few hundred miles to the north and east, you would know this is bearable.
    There's probably not that much difference in temperature between Ithaca and Potsdam. We get some moderation from the lake, but that's more than made up for by the increased snowfall.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      There's probably not that much difference in temperature between Ithaca and Potsdam. We get some moderation from the lake, but that's more than made up for by the increased snowfall.
      It got down to -40 without the wind chill a couple of times. We still went to class. We had two really bad snowfalls, one in 76 and one in 78. The rest were eh.

That's where I learned to drive in and on snow.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It got down to -40 without the wind chill a couple of times. We still went to class. We had two really bad snowfalls, one in 76 and one in 78. The rest were eh.

That's where I learned to drive in and on snow.
        Never even close to -40 in Ithaca when I was there. It broke -20 a couple times. That was quite enough. I was in Burlington one night when it was -30 and can report they don't feel any different.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Never even close to -40 in Ithaca when I was there. It broke -20 a couple times. That was quite enough. I was in Burlington one night when it was -30 and can report they don't feel any different.
          The tire crunch on the snow. I was up in Platty 2 winters ago and it was -20. First time I'd been that cold since my CCT days.

My concern was the antifreeze. We don't get that cold in MD and I was worried about that the mechanic hadn't prtotected me for that low a temp. It turned out OK though.

The same SUV was in Bemidji last year with son #2. He was told to get the antifreeze down to -40. He needed it.

For the record, my college car had the antifreeze mixed to -50. But that was before global warming.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

The tire crunch on the snow. I was up in Platty 2 winters ago and it was -20. First time I'd been that cold since my CCT days.

My concern was the antifreeze. We don't get that cold in MD and I was worried about that the mechanic hadn't prtotected me for that low a temp. It turned out OK though.

The same SUV was in Bemidji last year with son #2. He was told to get the antifreeze down to -40. He needed it.

For the record, my college car had the antifreeze mixed to -50. But that was before global warming.
            Dumb question. Is there any disadvantage to having stronger anti-freeze? i.e., if you can get it to -50, why not just get it to -50 rather than -20? More expensive? Bad for the car?

Also, I nominate this for Thread Drift of the Year.
            Cornell University

Comment

What restrictions would you tolerate? Ohio is contemplating a law that you can't kill a baby once you can detect a heartbeat. Too much, too soon?
              2nd trimester/24 weeks. Having watched my twins develop with the latest high tech gadgetry to monitor them two years ago, there is no, and I mean no way a baby younger than that is viable. Yes I'm sure there's a one in a gazillion miracle out there but really, c'mon already.

This is also a classic example of a useless law passed by useless Republicans. Unless the makeup of the current SCOTUS changes, there aren't 5 votes to uphold this.

Having said all that, sorry for your loss.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Dumb question. Is there any disadvantage to having stronger anti-freeze? i.e., if you can get it to -50, why not just get it to -50 rather than -20? More expensive? Bad for the car?

Also, I nominate this for Thread Drift of the Year.
                It's more expensive. Plus I guess there are some other downsides to propylene glycol. From Wiki:

Propylene glycol, on the other hand, is considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol and may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze". It is used as antifreeze where ethylene glycol would be inappropriate, such as in food-processing systems or in water pipes in homes where incidental ingestion may be possible. As confirmation of its relative non-toxicity, the FDA allows propylene glycol to be added to a large number of processed foods, including ice cream, frozen custard, salad dressings and baked goods, it is also often a main ingredient of E-cigarette liquid (E-liquid or E-juice).

Propylene glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat, forming lactic acid. If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive, so pH buffering agents such as dipotassium phosphate, Protodin and potassium bicarbonate are often added to propylene glycol, to prevent acidic corrosion of metal components. Pre-inhibited propylene glycol solutions like Dowfrost (manufactured by Dow Chemicals, US) and Tonofrost (manufactured by Chemtex Speciality Ltd, India) can also be used instead of pure propylene glycol to prevent corrosion.

Besides cooling system corrosion, biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts to grow, the corrosion rate of the system increases. Maintenance of systems using glycol solution includes regular monitoring of freeze protection, pH, specific gravity, inhibitor level, color, and biological contamination. Propylene glycol should be replaced when it turns a reddish color.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  It's more expensive. Plus I guess there are some other downsides to propylene glycol. From Wiki:
                  Thanks.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Kasich vetoed the bill but signed a 20 week bill instead.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2909661

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      Kasich vetoed the bill but signed a 20 week bill instead.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2909661
                      Ohio lawmakers rejected a Democratic amendment that would have added exceptions for rape and incest.
                      Kepler says I'm into punishment. I say really, really am I more into it than Republican lawmakers? Really?
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

a woman's view: "abortion rights are sort of like 2nd Amendment rights: you want to be able to own a gun to protect yourself from a home invasion, but you never actually want ever to use the gun."
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Fish, did you finally get that operation you've been wanting for so long?

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

And now my conservative friends are saying that Saturday's Women's march was all about for the right to murder babies.

It's not like these people do anything anyway except warm a pew on Sunday.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                              And now my conservative friends are saying that Saturday's Women's march was all about for the right to murder babies.

It's not like these people do anything anyway except warm a pew on Sunday.
                              Well the Right to Life people were not exactly welcome. A sign "If Mary had an abortion, we wouldn't be here," is not exactly welcoming either.

Plus you forgot making babies as things to do. :

Come to think of it, the annual Right to Life March is this Friday. I don't think the Culture of Death will be welcome.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well the Right to Life people were not exactly welcome. A sign "If Mary had an abortion, we wouldn't be here," is not exactly welcoming either.
                                Culture of Death will be welcome.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X