X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Are you implying that you can spread pollen without worrying about the consequences? "Not my problem!" is not a defense - it's a cop out.
    No. Quite the contrary. Not sure how you came to such a ridiculous conclusion.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      You're avoiding the question.
      You asked when it's unacceptable. That's an inherently subjective standard. Unacceptable to whom? Me? Then probably a lot longer than what you would respond with, but still a lot shorter than what most women would say, since you know, they're the ones having to actually deal with it.

Tell me, when you crack open an egg for breakfast and see it had gotten fertilized, do you start calling it a chicken?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Tell me, when you crack open an egg for breakfast and see it had gotten fertilized, do you start calling it a chicken?
        you can't even tell until it's been incubated for several days, so if Joe has ever purchased farmer's market eggs, or been given eggs from a neighbor that keeps a rooster with their hens (many do, because the rooster helps free range hens from predators), he's probably "aborted" a chicken.

Comment

Are you implying that you can spread pollen without worrying about the consequences? "Not my problem!" is not a defense - it's a cop out.
          In my experience those of us who are pro-choice are far, far more careful and more responsible of the consequences of sex than those who sniff love the unborn.

It all comes down to three things:

1. Women are not inferior or superior beings; they are equal humans with equal agency.
          2. Sex is not a sin and not a sacred magic act, it's a biological function.
          3. Human development is a process, not the discrete event of endowment with a soul.

Until people get over those three Iron Age myths they aren't mature enough to comprehend abortion as a biological function. The idea that an abortion is ipso facto murder is on the veridical level of the idea that abstinence is murder. It is a matter of potentiality. A clump of cells is not a baby no matter how much some psychologically need it to be.
          Last edited by Kepler; 06-04-2018, 10:06 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

How about original intent?

Would a premie at 10weeks survived in 1778? No? Not a life
            At 20 weeks?

Why weren’t babies rights put in as an amendment?

Case closed
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Why We Are Leaving the G.O.P.

By Susan Bevan and Susan Cullman

As Republicans, we spent four decades working inside the party to produce effective policies helping women and families. Despite growing malice from an anti-choice faction, we kept our disagreements within the family. We redoubled our efforts to find common ground, rather than simply walk away.

Our argument was simple: True fiscal conservatives should embrace family planning because it reduces poverty, increases educational attainment and work force competitiveness, improves health and provides people the opportunity to make educated moral choices. We incorrectly assumed that our fellow fiscal conservatives would join us in applauding the reduction in the number of unintended pregnancies, which saved taxpayers billions of dollars spent on the welfare state.

Instead, the policies and programs that led to these outcomes came under constant fire. The far right was more interested in conflating abortion and birth control for political purposes. It is fiscally disingenuous to deny birth control coverage and then bemoan unintended pregnancies and abortion.
              https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/24/o...imes&smtyp=cur
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                How about original intent?
                Why would I care about what a bunch of lawyers who lived before Schwann and Schleiden and still believed in spontaneous generation had to say concerning an issue in cellular biology?
                Last edited by Kepler; 06-27-2018, 12:16 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Since the majority of this Board is now in hysterics over the repeal of Roe v Wade now that Kennedy will retire, I will state the following:

As abhorrent as it is, legal abortion will not go away. Restrictions, but not prohibition, will be permitted. Just like a lot of things, the restrictions may be looser in the NE and West Coast, and tighter in the Bible Belt. But if a woman wants to terminate her pregnancy, she can.

Where legislation is on the books, that stays. If abortion was imposed via judicial fiat, then the legislature should step up and state what the people's wishes are.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Since the majority of this Board is now in hysterics over the repeal of Roe v Wade now that Kennedy will retire, I will state the following:

As abhorrent as it is, legal abortion will not go away. Restrictions, but not prohibition, will be permitted. Just like a lot of things, the restrictions may be looser in the NE and West Coast, and tighter in the Bible Belt. But if a woman wants to terminate her pregnancy, she can.

Where legislation is on the books, that stays. If abortion was imposed via judicial fiat, then the legislature should step up and state what the people's wishes are.
                    lol. You have no idea what a woman goes through in Texas right now to get the reproductive health care she wants. You should try reading a newspaper once in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

Abortion is never imposed by judicial fiat. The right to get an abortion if a woman chooses to do so is protected by judicial fiat. Because Fark misogynistic legislatures who want to control women.

Comment

But if a woman wants to terminate her pregnancy, she can.
                        yeah, a poor teen from the Bible Belt can travel hundreds or thousands (once the bible belt bans it) of miles to the closest clinic no problem

clueless as ever, but I'm sure you've got a raging hard-on over the thought of abortion getting a hell of a lot harder for women (and for many downright impossible)
                        Last edited by BassAle; 06-27-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          yeah, a poor teen from the Bible Belt can travel hundreds or thousands of miles to the closest clinic no problem
                          I swear people have no idea what actually happens in this country. They all walk around in a daze.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            yeah, a poor teen from the Bible Belt can travel hundreds or thousands (once the bible belt bans it) of miles to the closest clinic no problem

clueless as ever, but I'm sure you've got a raging hard-on over the thought of abortion getting a hell of a lot harder for women (and for many downright impossible)
                            I said restricted (as in time and whatever else the legislature thinks), not banned.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I said restricted (as in time and whatever else the legislature thinks), not banned.
                              It's restricted now genius. Read a newspaper and see what those restrictions do to people who have no power, and no wealth.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                It's restricted now genius. Read a newspaper and see what those restrictions do to people who have no power, and no wealth.
                                And many get struck down. However, it should be up to the people, via their elected representatives, to set those limits. As long as the restrictions <> prohibition, the will of the people (which can change over time) should prevail.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X