Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

The plural of anecdote is not data

Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Which is ridiculous anyway. In my experience, the women who have had one have it in their record with either their PCP or OB-GYN (or both). Just another way to shame women.
    Agreed. We already document if it is relevant and do not document it if it's not. For the most part, I do not need the government telling me what or how I need to document things...I already have ambulance chasing lawyers dictating much of that!
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Jon Oliver main story tonight was dead on.
    If you hate abortion, you should love birth control.
    Itís about controlling women.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Jon Oliver main story tonight was dead on.
    If you hate abortion, you should love birth control.
    Itís about controlling women.
    This is a drive by. I don't like either. If it (birth) happens, it happens. I'm of the crowd where if you have the sex, you know and take the risks. Yes, I have child at this point, a beautiful son. I don't like either option mentioned that has been morphed into easy peasy birth control. It's not a religious thing. You make that sort of decision (the sex) you deal with ALL the consequences.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

This is 100% a bunch of knuckle dragging men saying, ďKeep your legs shut, sl-t!Ē In a complete vacuum you might be right. But considering everything else Republicans do, this is undeniable. Transvaginal ultrasounds, permanent notations on their medical records, mandatory waiting periods. Many of these laws are tantamount to the government assaulting women.

This is the modern version of The Scarlet Letter.

How you can be against birth control is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    This is a drive by. I don't like either. If it (birth) happens, it happens. I'm of the crowd where if you have the sex, you know and take the risks. Yes, I have child at this point, a beautiful son. I don't like either option mentioned that has been morphed into easy peasy birth control. It's not a religious thing. You make that sort of decision (the sex) you deal with ALL the consequences.
    If it's not a religious objection, why do you oppose birth control? Because it's very convenient for you to carry that position considering you, as a man, don't have to deal with the consequences. And no, having to pay child support 9 months down the line doesn't count, so don't even pull up that "men's rights" canard.

You make that sort of decision (the sex) you deal with ALL the consequences.
    At least we have one honest Pro Lifer. A kid is punishment for sex. Now, why sex requires punishment is a matter that is fundamentally cultural, if not religious.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    If it's not a religious objection, why do you oppose birth control? Because it's very convenient for you to carry that position considering you, as a man, don't have to deal with the consequences. And no, having to pay child support 9 months down the line doesn't count, so don't even pull up that "men's rights" canard.
    I don't think this actually is fundamentally religious or misogynistic. There are elements of those, sure, but I think the root cause is that some brains take natural conditions as a given that we should not improve on because that is inherently unstable or even wrong. This is the same sentiment that opposed sulfa drugs for venereal diseases because those diseases are the risk of sexual irresponsibility. It's adjacent to the whole back to nature strain of western culture that has accompanied industrialization.

It's not an entirely bad or even irrational impulse -- it's not just reactionaries, it's also Thoreau and Rachel Carson.

Religiosity gets mixed in because it is strongly deferential to Given Authority -- what is scripture if not a man-made Book of Nature? Misogyny gets mixed up in it because women have traditionally gotten the short end so that is, by some sort of conservative calculus, ordained, or natural, or in any case An Inconvenient Truth. And notice how holding these beliefs makes the conservative the Solitary Man on the Watchtower, defending us even though we aren't sufficiently righteous to realize we are even in danger? That is tailor-made to appeal to vanity.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Internet Nutcase

what a ridiculous position to take. There are very effective forms of birth control, why force people to choose between sex and high risk of unwanted pregnancy? In my case, I've had a vasectomy. Do you disagree with that also?

RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar

Serious? Someone is against birth control? Really? Is it 1650? It must be.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    A kid is punishment for sex.
    A kid is never a punishment.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Lucia Apologist

This

Is not congruent with this

I'm of the crowd where if you have the sex, you know and take the risks.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Ding ding ding
    I always love when men insist about the consequences.

Then what's the point in being against birth control? What's it to you if people have sex without having kids?

Veteran
    Iím not following the logic in why you donít like birth control?

Generic Catchy Message

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    "Satan's doorbell."
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    "Satan's doorbell."
    Now thatís funny right there.

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Iím not following the logic in why you donít like birth control?
    For me, and this will be really frank, traditional intercourse is for procreation (and yes, it's really fun; that's a nice bonus). If you've reached that level in your relationship to do that, a child could be part of that future, and that's something you have to think about.

And simply paying child support is not being a father. Sure, sometimes it's out of your control if the relationship fails (in my son's situation, it was out of my control). If that's the case, then one must decide what is best for the child, and go from there. Men should have some sort of say of their child's future, if a child is born. It IS their child, too.

These are only my views and values. I will not force my values onto someone else. I may disagree with others' values, but I will not condemn them, nor ridicule them. I will simply disagree.

Lucia Apologist

And birth control?

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    And birth control?
    I just explained that. Pay attention.

Thread Information