X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by dave122793 View Post
    Wait until Kennedy retires/passes away, Trump gets another SC justice, and abortion is outlawed in this country by 2020. That's my prediction.
    Might get people off their as-ses to vote, though.

(Assuming with voter suppression they're even allowed to by then.)
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      It may happen. It will depend on if the GOP really wants to lose it as a fundraising tool for candidates. I'm not sure they do.
      Truly it has been their gift that keeps on giving.

I have read numerous opinions over the years that the GOP has actually slow walked efforts to ban abortion because it is so lucrative for them.

But from what we know of the GOP, they would never, ever do such a thing. Right?

Right?
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Truly it has been their gift that keeps on giving.

I have read numerous opinions over the years that the GOP has actually slow walked efforts to ban abortion because it is so lucrative for them.

But from what we know of the GOP, they would never, ever do such a thing. Right?

Right?
        I think the only thing they care about is money. The new Health Care bill proves that. They extend wars for profit. They destroy the environment for profit. And, I think they like abortions for profit. Just keep that spigot wide open and flowing.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I think the only thing they care about is money. The new Health Care bill proves that. They extend wars for profit. They destroy the environment for profit. And, I think they like abortions for profit. Just keep that spigot wide open and flowing.
          It's entirely possible the actual Republican leadership is just like Putin's junta: a gang of oligarchs who saw the real money is in government, so they captured the government. Putin used Chechnya, the GOP used 9/11. If you think of the Republicans not as the Nazis or Stalin or other Totalitarian models, but as Putin or as an African dictator -- a straightforward kleptocracy -- they make perfect sense.

Most criticism of the right recognizes that the fiscalcons used the theocons and the white nationalists to gain power to enact their ideological agenda (which, usefully, economically crippled the theocons and the white nationalists, thus making them even angrier and easier to control). And the fiscalcons certainly do have an agenda.

We've always assumed the fiscalcons were just serving the 1% in order to get the bribery money they need to campaign and rule effectively. But what if it's the other way around? What if the 1% is just using the fiscalcons? Where did the wave of libertarian intellectuals (and non-intellectuals on radio) actually come from, anyway? The Kochs and others have been pounding these ideas into gullible heads for a quarter century.

This would explain, for one thing, why spending and debt continue to skyrocket even when the government is 100% under the ostensible control of the fiscalcons. And why when the Great Crisis of 2006 broke, the GOP worked to undermine all attempts to break the power of the elitists financial entities who caused the problem and who, theoretically, EVERY member of the conservative coalition regarded as a mortal enemy.

Maybe we've been wrong, and it hasn't been Norquist using Koch's money to brainwash the Tea Partiers. Maybe it's always been the Kochs riding Norquist's ideology to get Useful Idiot ideologically conservative Republicans to enact their agenda. Maybe the fiscalcons have been just as much the unwitting captives as the theocons and the white nationalists. Their interests have certainly suffered just as much.
          Last edited by Kepler; 06-27-2017, 09:18 AM.
          Cornell University

Comment

It's entirely possible the actual Republican leadership is just like Putin's junta: a gang of oligarchs who saw the real money is in government, so they captured the government. Putin used Chechnya, the GOP used 9/11. If you think of the Republicans not as the Nazis or Stalin or other Totalitarian models, but as Putin or as an African dictator -- a straightforward kleptocracy -- they make perfect sense.

Most criticism of the right recognizes that the fiscalcons used the theocons and the white nationalists to gain power to enact their ideological agenda (which, usefully, economically crippled the theocons and the white nationalists, thus making them even angrier and easier to control). And the fiscalcons certainly do have an agenda.

We've always assumed the fiscalcons were just serving the 1% in order to get the bribery money they need to campaign and rule effectively. But what if it's the other way around? What if the 1% is just using the fiscalcons? Where did the wave of libertarian intellectuals (and non-intellectuals on radio) actually come from, anyway? The Kochs and others have been pounding these ideas into gullible heads for a quarter century.

This would explain, for one thing, why spending and debt continue to skyrocket even when the government is 100% under the ostensible control of the fiscalcons. And why when the Great Crisis of 2006 broke, the GOP worked to undermine all attempts to break the power of the elitists financial entities who caused the problem and who, theoretically, EVERY member of the conservative coalition regarded as a mortal enemy.

Maybe we've been wrong, and it hasn't been Norquist using Koch's money to brainwash the Tea Partiers. Maybe it's always been the Kochs riding Norquist's ideology to get Useful Idiot ideologically conservative Republicans to enact their agenda. Maybe the fiscalcons have been just as much the unwitting captives as the theocons and the white nationalists. Their interests have certainly suffered just as much.
            Whoever they are they have two advocates (Turtle Boy and Ryan) who are all in on their agenda and have lots of power. And they have a dupe at the top. It's a perfect storm.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Whoever they are they have two advocates (Turtle Boy and Ryan) who are all in on their agenda and have lots of power. And they have a dupe at the top. It's a perfect storm.
              Trump is Il Dupe II. C+ Augustus was no wiser than Trump about the workings of government or economics.

Ryan is obviously a Useful Idiot. He really believes all that Randian rubbish that any perspicacious child is enamored of at 14 and has discarded completely at 24.

McConnell I am starting to believe is a real life Frank Underwood. We badly underestimated him. We thought he was another Boehner but no, he's a survivor and he fights with shivs and salt in the eyes. The question is: to what end?
              Last edited by Kepler; 06-27-2017, 09:26 AM.
              Cornell University

Comment

Texas defunded Planned Parenthood, and teen abortions surged.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b09b587d63018a
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

Quelle surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

I'll take "Stats That Republicans Will Never Believe" for 500, Alex.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

To me it would be obvious that would happen, but nobody ever accused Rick Perry as being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

It's always amazing to me that, for the most part, the anti-choice groups are also the ones against sex education, increasing awareness and access to birth control etc. For the most part I think they really don't care about the fetus so much as the just want to control women's lives.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        To me it would be obvious that would happen, but nobody ever accused Rick Perry as being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

It's always amazing to me that, for the most part, the anti-choice groups are also the ones against sex education, increasing awareness and access to birth control etc. For the most part I think they really don't care about the fetus so much as the just want to control women's lives.
                        Bingo.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

For the most part I think they really don't care about the fetus so much as the just want to control women's lives.
                          *ding*ding*ding*ding*ding*

Comment

About time! http://www.clickhole.com/article/col...mited-edi-6220

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

They want to control gays, too, so it's more than that.

Partly it's the control of women because of ageless religious quackery, sure. But more than that religious conservatives are frozen in perpetual adolescence in their sexuality. The smirking dirty joke attitude towards sex and women. The inability to see a sexual partner as a partner. The need to distance and trivialize and above all to order and classify. It runs through conservatism from the bait shop Thumper to the drawing room Catholic like a polluted river.
                              Cornell University

Comment

They want to control gays, too, so it's more than that.

Partly it's the control of women because of ageless religious quackery, sure. But more than that religious conservatives are frozen in perpetual adolescence in their sexuality. The smirking dirty joke attitude towards sex and women. The inability to see a sexual partner as a partner. The need to distance and trivialize and above all to order and classify. It runs through conservatism from the bait shop Thumper to the drawing room Catholic like a polluted river.
                                I think you will find it difficult to support the bolded points with anything objective, Kep. I agree that Puritanism and religion in general have really fukced up the way we think of and deal with sexuality in this country. And since it's a male-dominated culture, men have played a much bigger role in that fukcup than women. But I think the bolded language is an unfair generalization.

Maybe I"m just blind to it, and that possibility has some negative implications I'd rather not contemplate.

Comment

Working...
                                X