X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by shirtlessbob View Post
    "what if your mother had aborted you?"
    then we wouldn't be having this dreadful conversation!
    -jim david
    lol
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There is a really "interesting" court case underway right now that might have some unexpected ramifications for the thread topic.

When Nick Loeb and Sofia Vergara were engaged, they tried in vitro fertilization to have a child. Two embryos resulted that were frozen.

Now that they are no longer together, they are engaged in a court battle over whether Loeb can take custody of the embryos on his own and have them brought to term in a surrogate mother. Vergara is fighting this move.

Somehow, along the way, the embryos got their own attorney to represent them. Apparently, the legal agreement between Loeb and Vergara specifies that, if the two of them are unable to come to a resolution on what to do with the embryos, then the embryos will be destroyed. Consequently, the Trustee of a trust that was established to provide for the embryos' welfare after they were born filed suit to protect their "right for a chance at life." [no, this is not something from the Onion!]

The Forbes article doesn't have all the details, but most of them.

Whether the case is resolved after a trial or if the Judge agrees with Vergara's legal position and throws out the lawsuit, it is a near-certainty that the losing side will appeal to the California Court of Appeals. Ultimately, given the uniqueness of this type of case and the high stakes involved -- with two potential lives in the balance -- the appeal would like [sic] proceed to the California Supreme Court, and perhaps even the United States Supreme Court. If that happens, it will be very interesting to see how the higher courts view the right to life for frozen embryos, which recent CDC statistics show have about a 30-40% chance of resulting in a live birth, based on Vergara's age at the time the embryo's were created.

In other words, because of the reality that most frozen embryos, like the ones that Vergara and Loeb created, would not result in both successful implantation and a live birth, this lawsuit is not really about the right to life as it is to the right for a chance at life. Loeb essentially contends that life is so precious that even this chance at life compels him to fight for the embryos so that he can try to have them implanted and potentially brought to life.
      Here is more from The Daily Beast:

The year-long fight between Sofia Vergara and her ex-fiancé Nick Loeb concerning the fate of two frozen embryos seemed all but over this week. Now a surprise and bizarre lawsuit filed in Louisiana on behalf of the embryos themselves by a mysterious cast of characters has breathed new life into the dispute and is poised to challenge a never-before-tested decades-old statute that gives embryos in one of the county’s most pro-life states, rights as people.
      While it may seem like a longshot, legal experts reached by The Daily Beast say the plaintiffs have got a small, but very real chance at some kind of success.
      The petition, filed in Jefferson Parish on Wednesday afternoon and reviewed by The Daily Beast, lists three plaintiffs: two embryos named Isabella and Emma, and ... the trustee of a fund meant to provide for [the embryos'] health, education, maintenance, and support.
      Last edited by FreshFish; 04-07-2017, 07:33 PM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

The term is snowflake babies

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_children
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The Texas GOP takes $20 million from clean air initiatives to fund anti-abortion centers. One of these centers isn't even coming close to providing adequate care.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...rtion-centers/
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Today in unhinged political screeds: Had to listen to my dad on abortion:

"All Planned Parenthood does is perform abortions."
            "Women who get abortions deserve to die in back alleys."
            "If you don't want kids, keep your legs closed."
            "Doctors who perform abortions should be given the death penalty."
            "There are other places that provide family-planning services."

And on he went. I asked for evidence of his wild-***, hair shirt claims, and he still kept talking.

Finally, I responded with this:

"Dad, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              Today in unhinged political screeds: Had to listen to my dad on abortion:

"All Planned Parenthood does is perform abortions."
              "Women who get abortions deserve to die in back alleys."
              "If you don't want kids, keep your legs closed."
              "Doctors who perform abortions should be given the death penalty."
              "There are other places that provide family-planning services."

And on he went. I asked for evidence of his wild-***, hair shirt claims, and he still kept talking.

Finally, I responded with this:

"Dad, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
              Happy Easter!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Happy Easter!
                Mmmhmm.

Comment

If, like many on the left, you are a proponent of "disparate impact,"1 then abortion (as practiced in the USA, at least) is automatically racist:

According to Centers for Disease Control, in 2013, for blacks, there were 420 abortions for every 1,000 live births. For whites, there were 121 abortions for every 1,000 live births.

In other words, 30% of black pregnancies end in abortion, while 11% of white pregnancies end in abortion.

1 Adverse effect of a practice or standard that is neutral and non-discriminatory in its intention but, nonetheless, disproportionately affects individuals belonging to a particular group based on their age, ethnicity, race, or sex

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    If, like many on the left, you are a proponent of "disparate impact,"1 then abortion (as practiced in the USA, at least) is automatically racist:

According to Centers for Disease Control, in 2013, for blacks, there were 420 abortions for every 1,000 live births. For whites, there were 121 abortions for every 1,000 live births.

In other words, 30% of black pregnancies end in abortion, while 11% of white pregnancies end in abortion.

1 Adverse effect of a practice or standard that is neutral and non-discriminatory in its intention but, nonetheless, disproportionately affects individuals belonging to a particular group based on their age, ethnicity, race, or sex
                    Or it could mean that African Americans are more likely to live in circumstances where they feel they may not have the resources to properly raise a child, perhaps because government aid is being cut dramatically, and therefore abortion is a rational choice.

Your statement also assumes abortions are inherently wrong, a sentiment which roughly 2/3rds of the country disagrees with.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      If, like many on the left, you are a proponent of "disparate impact,"1 then abortion (as practiced in the USA, at least) is automatically racist
                      Disparate impact refers to impositions on a person, not actions taken by a person. Your argument comes back to the fundamental error that a clump of cells is a person. It's not. The person in the situation is the woman.

However, you do bring up the excellent point that by your own example state laws harassing women seeking abortions are inherently racist by disparate impact. Thank you for the excellent ammunition.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Or it could mean that African Americans are more likely to live in circumstances where they feel they may not have the resources to properly raise a child, perhaps because government aid is being cut dramatically, and therefore abortion is a rational choice.
                        It could also reflect less education on and access to contraceptives.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          It could also reflect less education on and access to contraceptives.
                          The correct answer. ^^^^

Now let's take that information and make sure we take sex ed out of the schools, eliminate awareness funding, give everyone purity rings, and say a little prayer.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
                            Your statement also assumes abortions are inherently wrong.
                            This response assumes "disparate impact racism" is always wrong.....many people do agree that the mere existence of "disparate impact" itself does not necessarily prove racism exists. Refreshing to see that your logic forces you to agree!

More seriously, you misapply the word "wrong." Nearly every abortion1, as noted by many people here, is merely an indication that other, less extreme methods of birth control did not work for some reason or another. Perhaps they were not even tried; due to lack of education or lack of access.

I do think most reasonable people would agree that abortion "should not" be a birth control method of choice, because other, better, earlier methods exist, could be made readily available, and pose far fewer health risks to the mother.

1 not including rape and incest
                            Last edited by FreshFish; 04-27-2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              the fundamental error that a clump of cells is a person.
                              You make a nascent human being sound like a form of cancer; a parasite forcing itself upon a woman against her will.

That clump of cells may not yet be developmentally a "person;" there is no doubt however that it is genetically human.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish
                                It seems like the historical roots of Planned Parenthood indicate that one of the reasons it was founded by Margaret Sanger was as a way to slow the birth rate of that portion of the population that she deemed to be "genetically inferior."

From NPR fact check:

There is nothing here necessarily to suggest that Sanger herself was motivated by racial animus.
                                That's well known and has been debated and discussed ad nauseam.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X