X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The smirking dirty joke attitude towards sex and women.
    Kep, that's probably 80% of men. Especially after throwing back a few drinks. It's not exclusive to religious men.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Kep, that's probably 80% of men. Especially after throwing back a few drinks. It's not exclusive to religious men.
      No, not when they grow up. It isn't the "religious," it's the politically religious. That's a distinct subset who are using their faith as a cudgel to get the political outcomes they want. F-ck them.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        No, not when they grow up. It isn't the "religious," it's the politically religious. That's a distinct subset who are using their faith as a cudgel to get the political outcomes they want. F-ck them.
        You're implying that a majority of men ever "grow up" to begin with.

Comment

Have you ever spent time in a locker room with only grown men in it? The jokes are rarely G-rated, and they will often have sexual overtones to them, if not explicitly stated. We're all still boys when we're with secluded with only other boys. It's when we interact with the rest of the world that determines who are the men that will step forward and actually be men.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Have you ever spent time in a locker room with only grown men in it? The jokes are rarely G-rated, and they will often have sexual overtones to them, if not explicitly stated. We're all still boys when we're with secluded with only other boys. It's when we interact with the rest of the world that determines who are the men that will step forward and actually be men.
            Joking is joking. The joy of that joking is trying to be as crude as humanly possible because it's juvenile and sophomoric. That's for fun -- I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about actual attitudes towards sex. The theocons I work with think of sex as something either obscene (bad) or naughty (hurr hurr good), and women as either whores or Madonnas. They stopped growing up somewhere in their teens. They have no concept of women as people -- women are either devilish temptations or angelic mother figures. They are still immature adolescents. They aren't men, they're children.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              I'll take "Stats That Republicans Will Never Believe" for 500, Alex.
              And you can't reason with them, because "slut should have kept her legs closed."
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                Texas defunded Planned Parenthood, and teen abortions surged.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b09b587d63018a
                And yet, for the rest of the population the number of abortions dropped significantly.

The overall abortion rate in the state dropped 14 percent between 2013 and 2016...

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                  And yet, for the rest of the population the number of abortions dropped significantly.
                  Perhaps you should have included the rest of that paragraph:
                  The overall abortion rate in the state dropped 14 percent between 2013 and 2016 ― but this was largely because in some low-income rural areas, like the Rio Grande Valley, women would have had to drive over 100 miles to find the nearest safe and legal abortion provider. Those women either had to seek out unsafe, do-it-yourself procedures or simply have babies they didn’t want or couldn’t afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    Perhaps you should have included the rest of that paragraph:
                    Let's go even further and include the actual study:

In a more recent working paper, Lu and Slusky have expanded this analysis to examine the effects on overall birth rates and report that an increase of 100 miles to the nearest clinic results in a 1.2 percent increase in birth rates.
                    Additionally, if you go through the 23 page paper you'll notice the author uses the word "estimate" 73 times, as that is the theme of the paper. She doesn't have concrete numbers for all counties and thus has to estimate those numbers. Which could be completely off. Or could be perfectly accurate.

The study doesn't include any information similar to what the HuffPost article assumes:
                    Those women either had to seek out unsafe, do-it-yourself procedures or simply have babies they didn’t want or couldn’t afford.

Comment

From the Didache of the Apostles:

II. But the second commandment of the teaching is this. Thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not commit adultery; thou shalt not corrupt youth; thou shalt not commit fornication; thou shalt not steal; thou shalt not use soothsaying; thou shalt not practise sorcery; thou shalt not kill a child by abortion, neither shalt thou slay it when born;...
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Well that explains the enormous social movement against soothsaying.

How's your Wednesday fasting going?
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          I'm going to need a definition for "committing fornication", it would seem to make at least 3 others rather redundant.

Comment

Well that explains the enormous social movement against soothsaying.

How's your Wednesday fasting going?
                            If Wednesday and Friday are the fast days, what's up with all the Catholics jamming up restaurants every Friday night for the fish fry? Fish don't count? Or have I been misinformed that it's for the Catholics?
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                              I'm going to need a definition for "committing fornication", it would seem to make at least 3 others rather redundant.
                              I believe "fornication" under Catholicism is specifically sexual penetration outside of marriage, so it isn't the same thing as "lust" (a thought crime), "adultery" (somebody has to be married) or "bestiality" (somebody has to not be a person). "Corruption of youth" isn't necessarily sexual at all -- when Athens killed Socrates for it it was because he taught them to sass their elders. "Onanism" is another fun one that it isn't. "Sodomy" does overlap somewhat, but it's typically used for Teh Gayz or for oral/anal with anybody including your dear consensual spouse because, you know, the Omnipotent Creator of the Universe gives a sh-t about all this.

IINM when Catholics talk about "fornication" they are primarily talking about giving it to Mary in the rectory basement.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 07-26-2017, 03:34 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I believe it is specifically sexual penetration outside of marriage, so it isn't the same thing as lust (a thought crime), adultery (somebody has to be married) or bestiality (somebody has to not be a person).
                                Deuteronomy makes it clear women who aren't virgins are to be stoned if they have sec outside marriage.
                                Sounds like a GOP campaign slogan actually

Comment

Working...
                                X