X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The same stupidity we get now with marijuana.
    Marijuana is a bad comparison. Not only is possessing/using marijuana different in each state, the federal government's banking laws also complicate the matter and engender the potential for a great many more crimes than would changes to abortion laws. I'm not saying one is worse than the others, because the situations surrounding each situation are an apples-to-anvils comparison, only that the abortion debate is much more personal and has the potential for each instance to impact fewer total people in very different ways for each act.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The same stupidity we get now with marijuana.
      Except far worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Marijuana is a bad comparison. Not only is possessing/using marijuana different in each state, the federal government's banking laws also complicate the matter and engender the potential for a great many more crimes than would changes to abortion laws. I'm not saying one is worse than the others, because the situations surrounding each situation are an apples-to-anvils comparison, only that the abortion debate is much more personal and has the potential for each instance to impact fewer total people in very different ways for each act.
        It’ll be far worse than our current stupidity on marijuana. You’ll have states where abortion is a legitimate, regulated medical procedure and states where it is considered murder and punished with serious jail time. Plus, you know the Republicans will pass numerous laws against being able to travel across state lines for an abortion. Also, what’s to stop Republicans from passing similar banking laws for abortion clinics and doctors?

Overturning Roe will do a lot more than just “turning it over to the states”.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Plus, you know the Republicans will pass numerous laws against being able to travel across state lines for an abortion.
          I'm sure they'll try to do this but realistically I doubt it has a chance of succeeding.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            I'm sure they'll try to do this but realistically I doubt it has a chance of succeeding.
            With a willing Supreme Court on their side? It’ll be affirmed before the ink dries. They’ll just bend the Commerce Clause until it fits.
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              While making it more difficult to get birth control no doubt

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                Wanna bet?
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Plus, you know the Republicans will pass numerous laws against being able to travel across state lines for an abortion.
                  A couple might try, but those laws will be struck down as unconstitutional faster than Flaggy can post a link to Alex Jones. Once you enter a state, and execute an act in that state - commerce, camping, hunting, B&D, or even abortion, you're engaging in an act that involves two intrastate parties. I cannot be punished by MN for an act I commit while standing in any other state.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

A couple might try, but those laws will be struck down as unconstitutional faster than Flaggy can post a link to Alex Jones. Once you enter a state, and execute an act in that state - commerce, camping, hunting, B&D, or even abortion, you're engaging in an act that involves two intrastate parties. I cannot be punished by MN for an act I commit while standing in any other state.
                    Not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about enforcement at the federal level. MN might not be able to punish you but the FBI and the DOJ can, and under Republican control would. It’s like with marijuana, it’s legal in both Washington and Oregon but a farmer in Oregon can’t sell in Washington because the Fed says so.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Wanna bet?
                      Yeah, I don't really see how they can change the commerce clause enough for that to work and they can't just ban people from leaving the state.

Realistically it's just gonna disproportionately affect poor people like everything else Republicans do.

Comment

Not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about enforcement at the federal level. MN might not be able to punish you but the FBI and the DOJ can, and under Republican control would. It’s like with marijuana, it’s legal in both Washington and Oregon but a farmer in Oregon can’t sell in Washington because the Fed says so.
                        Your marijuana example is interstate commerce, and the law states that interstate commerce is within the federal government's jurisdiction. Once a person physically enters another state and then proceeds to conduct commerce - even in regards to healthcare - it is now intrastate commerce.

Comment

Your marijuana example is interstate commerce, and the law states that interstate commerce is within the federal government's jurisdiction. Once a person physically enters another state and then proceeds to conduct commerce - even in regards to healthcare - it is now intrastate commerce.
                          Logically you are correct, but you don’t think, and this is my argument, a Republican held Supreme Court would twist the interpretation enough to allow such a law to stand?
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Logically you are correct, but you don’t think, and this is my argument, a Republican held Supreme Court would twist the interpretation enough to allow such a law to stand?
                            No, I don't. And I think the politicians who installed those justices would face a backlash from the electorate if we were to ever start down that path.

Comment

No, I don't. And I think the politicians who installed those justices would face a backlash from the electorate if we were to ever start down that path.
                              Do you really believe that? We have a clear case of a party colluding with a foreign power to influence an election and they not only didn’t face backlash they’ve been rewarded, abortion wouldn’t even get people to blink.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Do you really believe that? We have a clear case of a party colluding with a foreign power to influence an election and they not only didn’t face backlash they’ve been rewarded, abortion wouldn’t even get people to blink.
                                Yes, I do believe that. There is a point of critical mass, of stepping too far over the line, that will awaken the American public to actually start voting again. Once that happens, and the threat is relieved, they'll go back to docile complacency, but their message will still have been served. Those politicians will lose their reelection campaigns, and the GOP its majorities.

Comment

Working...
                                X