X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I wonder what happens to women like me who don’t want kids and my uterus sits here unused?
    Cobwebs?
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm honestly curious about Brent's view. What are your thoughts on marriage if the couple has no intention of having kids? Do you believe the purpose of marriage is to raise a family?

If sex is solely for procreation, what about other intimate acts that may lead to sex? Do you believe those should only be done if you're ready to deal with all the consequences?

Personally, I heart my birth control pill. Warning: female bodily function discussion. It is so great to no longer lose a day of work/productivity due to cramps every month. It's nice to not have to visit the restroom every 2-3 hours for a week. This is what angers me most when men start discussing birth control, that they don't realize it is a prescription that can address lots of issues other than not making babies.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

I wonder what happens to women like me who don’t want kids and my uterus sits here unused?
        Well since there's nothing, nothing, but if we're hypothesizing about a Magic Universe.

If it's the OT God you are f-cked. (Ironic.)

If it's the NT God Jesus says meh.

If it's the New Age Goddess you get a high five and a poker to torture Brent for all eternity. Which sounds boring.

So, basically, nothing good.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          Personally, I heart my birth control pill. Warning: female bodily function discussion. It is so great to no longer lose a day of work/productivity due to cramps every month. It's nice to not have to visit the restroom every 2-3 hours for a week. This is what angers me most when men start discussing birth control, that they don't realize it is a prescription that can address lots of issues other than not making babies.
          I was hoping one of the women on here would chime in on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            I was hoping one of the women on here would chime in on this.
            I was on them for years for this reason. My sister was prescribed at age 16 after laying on the floor unable to move at school from cramps.

I don’t care that Brent thinks this way. What I care about are the men who are in positions to make laws about women’s health and pull this BS.

Comment

I was on them for years for this reason. My sister was prescribed at age 16 after laying on the floor unable to move at school from cramps.

I don’t care that Brent thinks this way. What I care about are the men who are in positions to make laws about women’s health and pull this BS.
              Agreed, though it's people like Brent who vote for those morons.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                Agreed, though it's people like Brent who vote for those morons.
                I doubt this is a make or break with Brent. Now, his holding of this view is likely consonant with other views which lock him in thrall to the Republicans, and that sucks for him but far more for us. But this view itself... meh. I'm far more tolerant on this because my parents held just this view of abortion and even birth control. They didn't cotton to the rest of the conservative bilge and to my knowledge neither ever voted for a Republican again after Reagan showed them the vacuity of that party and its mindset.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Partly because being against birth control for non-religious reasons is a "does not compute" moment. If not for religion, then why would anyone be against it?

And partly because he opened with this: "You make that sort of decision (the sex) you deal with ALL the consequences."

As much as he later said he wouldn't impose that standard on anyone else, that statement is hard to read as anything other than commanding others what to do.
                  100% agree

Also, it's a discussion board. If you don't want to be open to both praise and criticism, maybe it's best not to share. I don't share all of what I think, hard as that is to believe. I'm sure we all do that.

Why share if not to discuss?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    100% agree

Also, it's a discussion board. If you don't want to be open to both praise and criticism, maybe it's best not to share. I don't share all of what I think, hard as that is to believe. I'm sure we all do that.

Why share if not to discuss?
                    Theoretically at least if you ask somebody a question and they answer it that's not an invitation for us to then criticize the answer. But if somebody is touchy (or private) about something like that this may not be the best forum for that answer. I believe Bob Gray did in fact say a few times "I believe x but I don't wish to discuss it." He was pilloried for it, as one might reasonably predict, but it is at least a logically consistent position to take.

Personally the things I don't want to talk about I don't talk about and I don't join in when they are discussed. I know the limits of my ability to function somewhat maturely on a message board and some things are well beyond them.
                    Cornell University

Comment

I found out that birth control wasn't just for birth control back in college. I've been lucky enough to live with female roommates basically since sophomore year all the way to today. I had no idea back in high school that birth control was used to treat a number of issues. Hell, many women I know take birth control even if they aren't sexually active just from a maintenance standpoint (their words) is they don't get their period every month.

Like you said, it's a women's health issue and it should be just that. The law should have no bearing on how and whether women are prescribed this or any other medicine.

Could you imagine the uproar if we started controlling dick pills like we do birth control?
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I doubt this is a make or break with Brent. Now, his holding of this view is likely consonant with other views which lock him in thrall to the Republicans, and that sucks for him but far more for us. But this view itself... meh. I'm far more tolerant on this because my parents held just this view of abortion and even birth control. They didn't cotton to the rest of the conservative bilge and to my knowledge neither ever voted for a Republican again after Reagan showed them the vacuity of that party and its mindset.
                        I'm sorry but trix is 100% right. Education is the only way to purge these patriarchal and ignorant mindsets from the voters. If it's no longer an issue, maybe we can refocus our efforts on new areas.
                        Code:

Comment

I’m still cracking up about the loophole.

“Fifth Base”

Although the whole thing would have been funnier if they kept the chorous of the song more subtle.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Theoretically at least if you ask somebody a question and they answer it that's not an invitation for us to then criticize the answer. But if somebody is touchy (or private) about something like that this may not be the best forum for that answer. I believe Bob Gray did in fact say a few times "I believe x but I don't wish to discuss it." He was pilloried for it, as one might reasonably predict, but it is at least a logically consistent position to take.

Personally the things I don't want to talk about I don't talk about and I don't join in when they are discussed. I know the limits of my ability to function somewhat maturely on a message board and some things are well beyond them.
                            That’s fair. On the other hand, it’s a freakin’ discussion board. If you don’t want to discuss, don’t.

Personally, if there’s a greater truth to be had, I’d like to know. So if I say something ignorant, I’d like to be corrected.
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              In this case it’s pretty benign because he doesn’t seem interested in forcing these views on others but you kinda have to wonder how knowledgeable he is on this issue in terms of women’s health and how this issue affects it. Thinking that someone doesn’t love you because they want that time of the month to instead be that time of the monthS, avoid cramping, so they can genuinely plan prenatal care, or control their acne among a variety of different reasons... is a somewhat harmful view to hold for a number of reasons. And while I don’t think it was the reason Trumo got elected, it is important to deal with ridiculous/harmful arguments and call them out rather than just letting them go unchallenged. Sometimes other people need to see how ridiculous an argument is even if they’re just lurking or whatever.

Now I would agree that taking it a step further and being more interested in shaming than teaching is also harmful and more likely to entrench people in their views. But I think he should at least take the time to try and understand and educate himself on these issues because that’s clearly lacking from what I can tell here.
                              Last edited by trixR4kids; 04-10-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                There's also the Natural Family Planning options. My fiancée wants to use the Creighton Method, based largely upon she being Catholic. It's a way to obey the Church and still not have an old Irish-sized family.
                                Ah the rhythm method. In the medical field we call those people parents.
                                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X