Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
    Another transfer coming in apparently, Wade Murphy from North Dakota. Also adds a 2nd NHL prospect to the team as he was drafted by the Predators in the 7th round of the 2013 Draft.
    Murphy was originally a Merrimack recruit.

http://themackreport.com/news/former...arizona-state/

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      Murphy was originally a Merrimack recruit.

http://themackreport.com/news/former...arizona-state/
      He can expect the boo birds to come out when we see you guys in North Andover..

Comment

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...full_steam.php

It's now less than three months until Arizona State plays its first NCAA hockey game, something that a year ago was practically inconceivable to most people.

In that time, ASU and coach Greg Powers have quickly proven that it was the right move for all involved. From putting together a solid schedule, to showing some deft recruiting prowess, to building a staff, to moving forward with plans for an arena and conference, Arizona State is prepared for what lies ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog10jw View Post

It's now less than three months until Arizona State plays its first NCAA hockey game, something that a year ago was practically inconceivable to most people.

In that time, ASU and coach Greg Powers have quickly proven that it was the right move for all involved. From putting together a solid schedule, to showing some deft recruiting prowess, to building a staff, to moving forward with plans for an arena and conference, Arizona State is prepared for what lies ahead.
          They have proven nothing...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Haven't played a game yet and we have some yahoos going crazy. I keep expecting someone to pop up and say, "surprise we were just kidding. LOL" but strangely that hasn't happened yet.

Congrats ASU, you have a D1 hockey team. So does Robert Morris.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

not easy to start up a Div I program with a 100 billion trillion dollar backer behind you. good for ASU. I hope they do well. except in the Desert Classic, where MTU will win. wish a few more west schools would get involved.
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

One year from announcement to first game is pretty amazing.
                  How long for Penn State?--2 years or more? I know they built an arena and that takes time(and $$$$$ which they had.)
                  Glad to have the Sun Devils in the mix. Live Long and Prosper!
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                    not easy to start up a Div I program with a 100 billion trillion dollar backer behind you. good for ASU. I hope they do well. except in the Desert Classic, where MTU will win. wish a few more west schools would get involved.
                    A "dog" WILL win the tournament, but it won't be a husky !!!

Comment

"recruiting prowess". Get real

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                        If A-State is successful, I think other Western teams will look at it.
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog10jw View Post

Note: My comments here are directed at the College Hockey News article link.

When the 100 million or so that will be required to build a state-of-the-art facility that will be required at a school the size of ASU, something they can actually recruit to, is actually forthcoming, THEN I will be impressed.

Playing in a giant arena you don't own is a non-starter. If, as the article says, they are actually playing in a new arena in time for the '17-'18 season I would then be really impressed.

Here's what has to happen, first:

1. Secure the funds to build the facility.
                          2. Secure a site for it to be built on (the site was proposed in June with the school's unveiling of the "ASU Athletics Facilities District" plan on land SE of Well's Fargo Arena, or, on other land in the District, east of Rural Road that is in the same general area.)
                          3. Design a facility that "works" on the selected site.
                          4. Actually build the facility.

The '17-'18 season begins in, let's say, October 2017. That gives you 26 months to get all this accomplished, if this process was already underway or even just started today. I have yet to see a single article in the news media, anywhere, that says empirically that the funding has been obtained to build this facility, something that is going to require legislative involvement unless big pockets step up to the plate, and I mean soon. There is just no way this is all going to happen in time for the '17-'18 season. I don't care if they can "build year round" in Tempe.

Just the construction cycle alone (now almost complete--begun in January of 2014) on Baxter Arena at UNO will have taken 22 months when the arena actually is complete. FWIW, the process was not very encumbered by winter weather at all due to the very mild '14-'15 winter here. Rain did slow down the construction pace in the spring of this year, however.

Unless there is a whole lot going on behind the scenes that isn't being reported on, I can't imagine how they could be in a new facility any sooner than the '18-'19 season and that is IF the actual decision had already been made and the funding sourced.

I also think coming up with the money required is far from a slam dunk. The more public money that is required to make this happen I think the harder it will be to get accomplished, too.

Hope they can, and, do, but I am not holding my breath.
                          Last edited by Red Cows; 07-25-2015, 01:55 PM.

Comment

No one is collecting more players who have decommited or left a program than this org. Sounds like a great "all about the team" atmosphere
                            Players going there for wrong reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              No one is collecting more players who have decommited or left a program than this org. Sounds like a great "all about the team" atmosphere
                              Players going there for wrong reasons.
                              Give me your tired, your boors.
                              Your huddled masses yearning to be free....
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                                Note: My comments here are directed at the College Hockey News article link.

When the 100 million or so that will be required to build a state-of-the-art facility that will be required at a school the size of ASU, something they can actually recruit to, is actually forthcoming, THEN I will be impressed.

Playing in a giant arena you don't own is a non-starter. If, as the article says, they are actually playing in a new arena in time for the '17-'18 season I would then be really impressed.

Here's what has to happen, first:

1. Secure the funds to build the facility.
                                2. Secure a site for it to be built on (the site was proposed in June with the school's unveiling of the "ASU Athletics Facilities District" plan on land SE of Well's Fargo Arena, or, on other land in the District, east of Rural Road that is in the same general area.)
                                3. Design a facility that "works" on the selected site.
                                4. Actually build the facility.

The '17-'18 season begins in, let's say, October 2017. That gives you 26 months to get all this accomplished, if this process was already underway or even just started today. I have yet to see a single article in the news media, anywhere, that says empirically that the funding has been obtained to build this facility, something that is going to require legislative involvement unless big pockets step up to the plate, and I mean soon. There is just no way this is all going to happen in time for the '17-'18 season. I don't care if they can "build year round" in Tempe.

Just the construction cycle alone (now almost complete--begun in January of 2014) on Baxter Arena at UNO will have taken 22 months when the arena actually is complete. FWIW, the process was not very encumbered by winter weather at all due to the very mild '14-'15 winter here. Rain did slow down the construction pace in the spring of this year, however.

Unless there is a whole lot going on behind the scenes that isn't being reported on, I can't imagine how they could be in a new facility any sooner than the '18-'19 season and that is IF the actual decision had already been made and the funding sourced.

I also think coming up with the money required is far from a slam dunk. The more public money that is required to make this happen I think the harder it will be to get accomplished, too.

Hope they can, and, do, but I am not holding my breath.
                                Allegedly the money is already there, just working on some finer details. Giving the hockey booster group the on campus land in exchange for housing Olympic sports in the new arena seems a likely point of negotiation. I'd also like to point out that the Grand Canyon University Arena, an originally 5,000 seat basketball arena in Phoenix was open 15 months after the project was announced, then a later 2,000 seat expansion only took 5 months to complete, and from what I have heard the building only costed $40 Million.

Comment

Working...
                                X