Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Well...they'll whine until they actually go to Tempe and realize that Tempe in January is way better to visit than any other city in college hockey.
    except maybe Huntsville.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Well...they'll whine until they actually go to Tempe and realize that Tempe in January is way better to visit than any other city in college hockey.
      4-6 hrs travel + 70 degrees! No Tempe whining coming from anywhere in the WCHA or NCHC!
      Last edited by davyd83; 04-19-2015, 06:38 PM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        except maybe Huntsville.
        Tempe is a great town, and if you're under 30, you may really enjoy the heck out of it. The folks that travel in college hockey are typically over 30, and they'll probably enjoy a small town. That said, I wish we had a decent airport within 30-45 like ASU does in Sky Harbor.

They'll actually be southernmost, too. We lose that distinction in October.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          BGSU is in Bowling Green. 25 minutes from Toledo, (kind of like Chugiak & Anchorage) and it's a pretty decent town. If you're calling Omaha a craphole, like you do so many places, because of the people who live there, I sure hope people don't rate the beautiful city of Anchorage based on your charm.
          You really have problems when other people express their opinion. Internet forums are just not the best place for you. And the outskirts of Toledo are about 5 miles up 75 from BG. Downtown Toledo might be 25 minutes but the city isn't. And again, it's a craphole that dumps craploads of organic effluent into Lake Erie ... so much so that you can see the massive algae blooms from space.

And I could give a rats arse what anyone's opinion of Anchorage is based on. I'm not offended by other people's opinions like you are.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            And the outskirts of Toledo are about 5 miles up 75 from BG. Downtown Toledo might be 25 minutes but the city isn't. And again, it's a craphole that dumps craploads of organic effluent into Lake Erie ... so much so that you can see the massive algae blooms from space.
            stop making stuff up.
            your "about 5 miles" is actually 15 miles to the southern edge of greater Toledo (across the river and in a different county), with a whole lot of rural in between. Only somebody who's never actually set foot in NW Ohio would confuse BG with Toledo.

The Lake Erie effluent is mostly fertilizer runoff from farm fields, draining from multiple river basins in Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana. We've got a bunch of farms 'round here, Sparky. Blaming it on Toledo is just bizarre. No idea where you get your opinions about NW Ohio (and don't give a rat's ***), but they're not based in fact.

But you're the guy who likes to rant about how the Midwest shouldn't be called the Midwest, so guess we shouldn't be surprised.

xxx,
            The Midwest
            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              This is an important point. Academics is the key driver in almost all big ten decisions. Sports are small potatoes. And if ain't close. Academics can bring in billions while athletics tops out around $100-150 million.
              Exactly. ASU isn't exactly thought of as top flight academic school, at least least not on the level of a John Hopkins.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                stop making stuff up.
                your "about 5 miles" is actually 15 miles to the southern edge of greater Toledo (across the river and in a different county), with a whole lot of rural in between. Only somebody who's never actually set foot in NW Ohio would confuse BG with Toledo.

The Lake Erie effluent is mostly fertilizer runoff from farm fields, draining from multiple river basins in Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana. We've got a bunch of farms 'round here, Sparky. Blaming it on Toledo is just bizarre. No idea where you get your opinions about NW Ohio (and don't give a rat's ***), but they're not based in fact.

But you're the guy who likes to rant about how the Midwest shouldn't be called the Midwest, so guess we shouldn't be surprised.

xxx,
                The Midwest
                If I can find a decent hotel, a place to have a good meal, a chance to catch some college hockey and a place to have a beer and chat about the game with fans, it must be a decent town, whether Houghton or Fairbanks or Omaha or Bowling Green or Huntsville. They all have something positive to experience. Welcome to our new brethren in Tempe. Can't wait to enjoy your town too!
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  If I can find a decent hotel, a place to have a good meal, a chance to catch some college hockey and a place to have a beer and chat about the game with fans, it must be a decent town, whether Houghton or Fairbanks or Omaha or Bowling Green or Huntsville. They all have something positive to experience. Welcome to our new brethren in Tempe. Can't wait to enjoy your town too!
                  Plus the Mexican food is awesome. Second best in the country behind CA.
                  RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I don't know what part of Omaha you have been to, but my experiences there have been universally negative. so just sayin...
                    It isn't my hometown, but I have lived here since January of 1990, after living in Kansas City for 27 years and Chicago before that. It is a much nicer place to live than you might think. The amount of money that is here in a metro of 875,000 is unreal. That is because it is home to five Fortune 500 companies and another 5 that are in the Fortune 1000 and who those companies are. FWIW, it is much more like Chicago than it is Kansas City. If you saw my brand spanking new $189,000, 3 bedroom, 3 full bath with finished basement walk-out ranch, just shy of 3,000 square foot house, that I bought here in early 2007 I think you might be much more complimentary. Very inexpensive place to live. An amazing amount of house for the money.

Surprisingly lousy restaurant town, though. We hate the politics here, too. Omaha is a place people usually get promoted and sent away from and, not to, like I was.

Great, great hockey town. One of the more surprising single things I found out about it after moving here and I wasn't a hockey fan when I did.

Comment

You kneecap your argument by touting the cheap housing. Housing is cheap in places where there's low demand. Where is there low demand? Crappy places where nobody wants to live.

Having lived in cheap housing in Ft. Worth and Wichita, I can absolutely say I am much happier paying almost 7x as much per square foot where I live now.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                        It isn't my hometown, but I have lived here since January of 1990, after living in Kansas City for 27 years and Chicago before that. It is a much nicer place to live than you might think. The amount of money that is here in a metro of 875,000 is unreal. That is because it is home to five Fortune 500 companies and another 5 that are in the Fortune 1000 and who those companies are. FWIW, it is much more like Chicago than it is Kansas City. If you saw my brand spanking new $189,000, 3 bedroom, 3 full bath with finished basement walk-out ranch, just shy of 3,000 square foot house, that I bought here in early 2007 I think you might be much more complimentary. Very inexpensive place to live. An amazing amount of house for the money.

Surprisingly lousy restaurant town, though. We hate the politics here, too. Omaha is a place people usually get promoted and sent away from and, not to, like I was.

Great, great hockey town. One of the more surprising single things I found out about it after moving here and I wasn't a hockey fan when I did.
                        You lost me when you compared Omaha to Chicago....hilarious! Spent plenty of time in Omaha, doesn't even hold a candle to Hartford!
                        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          You lost me when you compared Omaha to Chicago....hilarious! Spent plenty of time in Omaha, doesn't even hold a candle to Hartford!
                          It's "neighborhoodsy" the same way that Chicago is. Kansas City isn't like that, at all.

Politically, Omaha is nothing like Kansas City OR Chicago, which are both staunchly unionized, for one thing, something Omaha definitely is not. This is one of the "reddest" states in the entire country.

I've never been to Hartford so I can't speak to that, but, seriously, Omaha has more of an Chicago vibe than a Kansas City one, that's all I was trying to say.

I grant you that few people, if any, wake up in the morning, roll over, and say to their husband or wife, "You know, honey, how come we aren't living in Omaha?"

Having been here for some time, though, it isn't as bad as you'd think. Our hockey team doesn't suck.
                          Last edited by Red Cows; 04-22-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Michigan-ASU will be a B1G series in a couple years. No doubt.
                            ---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

This ought to boost recruiting!
                              http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...re?tid=HP_more
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

From my experience with Union Pacific, I can confirm there is a ton of money in that town...lots of old money.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X