Arizona State Moving To D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Unreal. I have now seen it all. Dad with dough can buy anything for his kid.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      Bob Gray is our resident ASU fan...
      Old Pio lives out that way, too. No telling if he's a DU fan by geographic convenience or too old to remember what school he actually attended.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Are there any fans of ASU...?
        Yeah, the Coyotes are just killing it down there - certainly a hockey hotbed with tens of thousands of fans just screaming for a hockey team. Can't wait until the NCAA has to subsidize the team or the NCHC has to share their revenue with them.
        They won't end up in the Bi6 and the NCHC can have them. I have no interest in adding some mega-troplis university like that to the WCHA where their hockey team will be the 27th most popular team on their campus right behind the recently added women's sand volleyball team. Good luck to them, hope they last longer than NAU, US International and other programs in the desert SW.
        Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Yeah, the Coyotes are just killing it down there - certainly a hockey hotbed with tens of thousands of fans just screaming for a hockey team. Can't wait until the NCAA has to subsidize the team or the NCHC has to share their revenue with them.
          They won't end up in the Bi6 and the NCHC can have them. I have no interest in adding some mega-troplis university like that to the WCHA where their hockey team will be the 27th most popular team on their campus right behind the recently added women's sand volleyball team. Good luck to them, hope they last longer than NAU, US International and other programs in the desert SW.
          Ryan J
          This is a bit harsh. I hope you know what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            This is a bit harsh. I hope you know what you're talking about.
            They play in a rink that seats 500 (no I'm not missing a zero, five hundred). Multiply that times 10 and you MIGHT have a team that hangs around a while in that area. Paying $5 to watch a club team is not the same as paying $20-$25 to watch a D-I hockey team. How many of those fans are going to come to games at 5 times the cost just because they're suddenly playing teams they don't play in any other sports. $20+ is what they'll be charging if they don't want the team to be a drain on the university - then again, maybe they don't care, there will be another 20,000 new tuition paying students each year they can always drain fees from. Hockey survives at small schools with small budgets because at most of them hockey is the biggest sport and has all the attention.
            Ryan J
            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 11-18-2014, 08:58 PM.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Good luck to them, hope they last longer than NAU, US International and other programs in the desert SW.
              Ryan J
              I listened to their press conference, and someone asked them specifically about the old Great West Conference and Northern Arizona University and US International.

The answer was basically (and I paraphrase) "We're not going to be like them. We're being bankrolled by donors."

Also asked was how the Coyotes have influenced this decision, and how their situation ties to ASU. "The 'Yotes have helped spark the interest in hockey by young kids. Just like how the Kings, Sharks, and Ducks all helped spark youth hockey in California. And if the Coyotes move, it won't affect ASU's program."
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                There already is and will be lots more speculation about where ASU ends up and what is the best fit. Ultimately I think, ASU is going to (at least initially) end up in whatever situation makes the best sense for them. And let's not kid ourselves; that means the best economic situation.
                That's some dad-gum high-level thinking right there. You must have got yourself one of them expensive edumacations to come up with some reasoning like that. I mean, the rest of us goobers figgered they'd go to whatever sityeation that made the least sense. Dang, you must be some kind of hockey savant, a frozen Rain Man. I dub thee "Ice Man."
                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                  That's some dad-gum high-level thinking right there. You must have got yourself one of them expensive edumacations to come up with some reasoning like that. I mean, the rest of us goobers figgered they'd go to whatever sityeation that made the least sense. Dang, you must be some kind of hockey savant, a frozen Rain Man. I dub thee "Ice Man."
                  Yeah, with the existing quality of posts in the thread (and of course knowing the existing tendencies of much of the mob participating) I figured someone ought to at least spell it out. It's of course good to see that in doing so, it engendered a brilliant response from some butthurt newb. Why you sooo mad, brah?

Comment

I'm just hoping Mookie sees the day when northeastern elevates their program to D-1 status
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

This is some surprising news. I'm going to be interested to see what conference picks them up. I'd assume it would be temporary (although that could be a decade or more) before other schools potentially start up (Pac-12). I want to see how they are able to make ends meet and how other schools are making the IX requirement. Going based off of Bill Robertson's comments over the summer about hockey expanding into the sun belt I'd say the WCHA is leader to pick up ASU. But that's just a speculative guess.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                        Yeah, with the existing quality of posts in the thread (and of course knowing the existing tendencies of much of the mob participating) I figured someone ought to at least spell it out. It's of course good to see that in doing so, it engendered a brilliant response from some butthurt newb. Why you sooo mad, brah?
                        Hey, hey, hey guys. If you are gonna fight, why don't you take it to one the 4 other threads about this topic?
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

FS-Arizona is giving it some nice coverage between periods of Coyotes game. Hyping it pretty nicely.

So they're playing next year?

They said the 2015 academic year...

Dang... coming together quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                            Hey, hey, hey guys. If you are gonna fight, why don't you take it to one the 4 other threads about this topic?
                            Life of every party, aren't you Tipsy?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              So they're playing next year?

They said the 2015 academic year...

Dang... coming together quickly.
                              Yep. Mix of ACHA and NCAA opponents next season, 15-16 (similar to UAH's schedule a few years ago?) and full NCAA opponents in 16-17. With conference acceptance and conference play starting in 17-18.

I wonder how many teams tripped over themselves trying to contact ASU for non-conference scheduling in the next two years...
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Yep. Mix of ACHA and NCAA opponents next season, 15-16 (similar to UAH's schedule a few years ago?) and full NCAA opponents in 16-17. With conference acceptance and conference play starting in 17-18.

I wonder how many teams tripped over themselves trying to contact ASU for non-conference scheduling in the next two years...

Wisconsin would like to add them this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X