Arizona State Moving To D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lebron23 View Post
    ASU will be joining the Big 10. Expect an announcement soon. They've already begun notifying their recruits.....
    Would not be surprised if this happened. Major school joins major conference until further expansion on the west coast. Safest bet if available to them.
    Last edited by scoreboard; 09-12-2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
      Would not be surprised if this happened. Major school joins major conference until further expansion on the west coast. Safest bet if available to them.
      11-22-14
      "What if the B1g, wanting to expand its 6 team hockey conference(too many open dates) went after Pac 12 schools as associate members similar to Johns Hopkins in lacrosse.

Power 5 Conference
      Expand footprint$ of both conference$
      Add BTN pre$ence

Heresy? Maybe not."

Crystal ball--Maybe so
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Everything is Barry's fault. That fat, egotistical *****.
        He should be strung up by his toenails.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Take it FWIW, but I'm a donor to Michigan's program and I've heard through the grapevine recently that Arizona State is in fact going to be added to the B1G as an affiliate member for hockey. There were discussions on group trips for alumni/donors to AZ for games. The same scenario where Johns Hopkins was added as an affiliate member to create the B1G's sponsorship of lacrosse.

Also that another full-time B1G member school is seriously looking to add hockey now that they have a facility that's in the works.
          ---
          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
          19 Conference Championships
          10 Conference Tournament Championships
          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
            Take it FWIW, but I'm a donor to Michigan's program and I've heard through the grapevine recently that Arizona State is in fact going to be added to the B1G as an affiliate member for hockey. There were discussions on group trips for alumni/donors to AZ for games. The same scenario where Johns Hopkins was added as an affiliate member to create the B1G's sponsorship of lacrosse.

Also that another full-time B1G member school is seriously looking to add hockey now that they have a facility that's in the works.
            Yes, all rumors are ASU to the Big Ten in 2017....as for the school you didn't name (Nebraska)....I would not be surprised if they announce soon they are adding hockey on an expediated schedule to join the Big Ten at the same time giving 8 teams and making scheduling much easier...

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
              Yes, all rumors are ASU to the Big Ten in 2017....as for the school you didn't name (Nebraska)....I would not be surprised if they announce soon they are adding hockey on an expediated schedule to join the Big Ten at the same time giving 8 teams and making scheduling much easier...
              28 game conference schedule?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

21 game schedule with 8 teams would be my guess...

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                  21 game schedule with 8 teams would be my guess...
                  travel to/from AZ for only one game? why would they do that?
                  Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

I like 28. It reminds me of the good old days where the same team was in your barn for the weekend. It also helps ASU in that they get marquee matchups for a weekend to boost interest/attendance.

That leaves 6 OOC for each team. Saves travel money?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      I like 28. It reminds me of the good old days where the same team was in your barn for the weekend. It also helps ASU in that they get marquee matchups for a weekend to boost interest/attendance.

That leaves 6 OOC for each team. Saves travel money?
                      yep. for B1G teams (and WCHA, and NCHC), the good old days where the same team was in your barn for the weekend never left.
                      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

I could see where they might have school play one 2-game series vs. one team per year (rotating opponents), 4 against the rest with one guaranteed 4-game series against an assigned rival. This would allow for 2 more OOC games. UMi-MSU, UM-UW, OSU-PSU and ASU-UN as the pairs.
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-26-2015, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          I could see where they might have school play one 2-game series vs. one team per year (rotating opponents), 4 against the rest with one guaranteed 4-game series against an assigned rival. This would allow for 2 more OOC games. UMi-MSU, UM-UW, OSU-PSU and ASU-UN as the pairs.
                          You just want easy points in four games a year.

In all seriousness, though, I get why this schedule works for expense reasons, but I hate the imbalance. I'd rather see these pairings for travel partners on Fri/Sun series.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                            travel to/from AZ for only one game? why would they do that?
                            ASU is going to have home games?!

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                              Do you have anything to substantiate these rumors?
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                                yep. for B1G teams (and WCHA, and NCHC), the good old days where the same team was in your barn for the weekend never left.
                                Honestly... college hockey without this seems so wrong to me.
                                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Working...
                                X