Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will Union finally move beyond Barcomb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When will Union finally move beyond Barcomb?

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
    ok...so you think winning a men's hockey championship equals big money for the school?? Now I know you're delusional.

You have to remember that this ain't SEC football or big-time college hoops. My guess is they barely covered their own expenses. And as for any 'carry-over' effect....I'd say marginal at best. In a year or two, nobody outside this forum will [if they ever did] remember that Union won anything....and the rest of the NESCAC schools will be just fine as always at the top of the D-3 world.
    As long as the guys who were on that team keep succeeding at the next level Union will get attention. I don't see it dying out with Ghost and Grosenick as part of that group.
    We're not the EZAC anymore!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotSoPartialObserver View Post
      As long as the guys who were on that team keep succeeding at the next level Union will get attention. I don't see it dying out with Ghost and Grosenick as part of that group.

For hockey nuts on this forum...probably true. For 99.99999999999999% of the rest of the country? ZERO effect....and i do mean zero.

Same for the argument about increased money, attention, applications and admissions standards going up....Not a chance...Again, you are looking at this as a hockey nut, not some 12th grade girl in Nebraska [or any other state]....hockey has virtually zero [there's that word again] visibility on the national scene...

Comment

I think it's time that the Athletic Director reviews her contract and her buy out clause.

Comment

Originally posted by Plus-Minus View Post
          I think it's time that the Athletic Director reviews her contract and her buy out clause.
          Well, yeah!?

Here's a comparison point: Brown finished in last behind Union this season and the coach is gone because she had 4 seasons to change things there and failed. This is only the second time in 10 years Union hasn't finished last and Barcomb is still there. How can that be?

Comment

Who could turn this program into a winning program? Remember the new coach can't give scholarships and will have a hard time getting players through admission. Seriously... WHO?

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
              Who could turn this program into a winning program? Remember the new coach can't give scholarships and will have a hard time getting players through admission. Seriously... WHO?
              Hey, Brown (and Harvard, Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Yale) all face the same issues and apparently they expect to have a coach who can win. Why shouldn't Union?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                Hey, Brown (and Harvard, Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Yale) all face the same issues and apparently they expect to have a coach who can win. Why shouldn't Union?
                Not really an even playing field. Ivy vs non. Two houses both the same but 1 is on the water... Who can sell non-waterfront as waterfront? I'm not arguing that a change might be needed but who can the AD get that is better than Claudia? Not many quality coaches on the women's side.

Comment

Are you suggesting a certain WCHA coach to take over at Union? I don't think Means would be interested.

Comment

Anyone would be better than Claudia. Perhaps the librarian? Maybe even their mascot...

RIT is in the same boat as Union, but they are far more successful, so no, scholarships/financial aid is not the issue. I think Union can find better coaching, and coaching is clearly the real issue.

Comment

If Jim McLaughlin doesn't want to go to far out on a limb ( and clearly after 8 years, he doesn't), how about this: replace Assano with Julie Chu. She's aging off the US team, has been Union Assistant Coach, might want a stable couple of years, AND hire her a quality Assistant Coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                        Well, Rick Bennett doesn't seem to have a problem despite the down year this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarrow View Post
                          If Jim McLaughlin doesn't want to go to far out on a limb ( and clearly after 8 years, he doesn't), how about this: replace Assano with Julie Chu. She's aging off the US team, has been Union Assistant Coach, might want a stable couple of years, AND hire her a quality Assistant Coach.
                          I have no idea how Julie would do as a head coach. She has a great personality and obviously knows the game but that doesn't necessarily translate into an effective head coach.

Has anyone considered that perhaps the Union AD just doesn't care about women's hockey? The men have had tremendous success so it can't be the sport. They both play under the same academic restrictions. Maybe women's hockey just isn't a priority. At Harvard, men's b-ball is all the rage and admissions does all it can to support Amaker at the expense of our men's hockey team. The results are telling.

Comment

Working...
                          X