Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NMU @ UAA: It's Probably Colder In Marquette....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU @ UAA: It's Probably Colder In Marquette....

Oh wait, we suck.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

A win is a win... I'd like to see a bit more offense, but a great defense makes up for that
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        A win is a win... I'd like to see a bit more offense, but a great defense makes up for that
        33rd in the nation in team offense. Already look solid this year now imagine how solid we'd look if we can get that up. Defense wins championships though! What a start. Keep rolling boys.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
          The things that are plaguing us this year are things we have seen before, regardless who has been the coach since we joined the original WCHA. Too many penalties (too many penalty minutes, too many major penalties), not enough goals for, spurts of good play intermixed with long stretches of bad hockey, we flat out play just like we used to in the original WCHA. We right now appear overmatched, forgot the beginning season "tournaments" we have consistently been strong in them, then we start WCHA play......

All of this happened to Brush, Tally, Hill, and Shyiak. They all had similar winning percentages (since joining the WCHA as a full-time member), similar postseason success (Brush and Tally, Hill and Shyiak). Thomas had a good (great for us) first season, new ideas, a new outlook, and a new attitude did strides for the team last season.

But, can Thomas sustain this? I hope he can, and if he does he is showing his worth.

We've had basically the same level of recruiting, except: Brush, Tally, and Hill all had more than one NHL draft pick on their teams (just recalling from memory, I don't have the time to research to find it that is true), and they all had guys go the NHL. Shyiak I believe did not have one of his recruits go to the show. I believe. Bailey has a real chance though.

Once you skim off the top of the cream (USHL, undrafted junior players), you are left with the same level of players recruited. Guys from the AJHL, BCHL, NAHL, SJHL, etc. Even the role guys have similar backgrounds.

Last season we had 18 wins, and 16 loses. Yes, we lost our seniors, and our top two goalies. Yes, we lost Bailey due to graduation. Even though he did play a major role in our success he was not the only person on the ice. Yes, he probably played the most minutes shy of the goalies. But, he was not the only player on the ice. Most of the time he had 4 other skaters, sometimes 3, rarely 5 other skaters. Other players will take up his mantle. Just like others took up the mantle of Glencross, Lawson, Clark, etc. Bailey rose to his height, somebody will now rise to his height.

My conclusion, same mistakes in our game, nearly same players (skills wise), so what gives? The coaching position. Our previous head coaches did not leave and do better at another program. Our program is going through what has plagued them for 20 years now, the coach can change that. We did change that last season. While you could turn the blame on the guys, the guys play like this because.....and it hasn't changed in 20 years because.....
          Well I can see more thought went into this. But I also feel like it took you the entire week to complete.
          _AIRBANKS: THE "SPENARD" OF ALASKA.

Originally posted by birdman
          No excuses from UAF fans, UAA beat us.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaCat View Post

The feed from Anchorage last night was fine.

FloridaCat posted the above on the WCHA TV thread.
            Nice that something we did last night was fine.

Comment

Really thought Duane Hoey's shutout record would be broken tonight by Dahlstrom, but UAA had other ideas.

Hoey's record is 160:50. Dahlstrom was stopped at 132:47.

This is Dahlstrom's second run at the record, as he was just under 20 minutes short last season.
              Last edited by aparch; 11-23-2014, 01:02 PM.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

SEAWOLVES WIN! SEAWOLVES WIN! SEAWOLVES WIN!!!

And congrats to Mantha on the shutout. He's worked hard this season.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by UAA08 View Post
                  Well I can see more thought went into this. But I also feel like it took you the entire week to complete.
                  Was written in 10/20 minutes. I thrive on last minute work (take that as you will).

Good win, we needed it!
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

SEAWOLVES WIN! SEAWOLVES WIN! SEAWOLVES WIN!!!

And congrats to Mantha on the shutout. He's worked hard this season.
                    Foil'd Up and got the job done...........nice win Seawolves
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Well, can't win them all

Honestly, I am content with 4 or more points on this trip... Alaska is never an easy place to play.... Hopefully the rough night doesn't hurt Dhalstrom's confidence...

Now onto polar bear who wants to blow up the world land...
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        Well, can't win them all

Honestly, I am content with 4 or more points on this trip... Alaska is never an easy place to play.... Hopefully the rough night doesn't hurt Dhalstrom's confidence...

Now onto polar bear who wants to blow up the world land...
                        Good luck next weekend against UA_. Hopefully your team will go home with 6 points after that series!

Way to rebound Seawolves. I think part of the puzzle was getting that first goal and the guys feeling some confidence. I liked the line up changes, hopefully the coach stays with this one for a while. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                          Quote Originally Posted by FloridaCat View Post

The feed from Anchorage last night was fine.

FloridaCat posted the above on the WCHA TV thread.
                          Nice that something we did last night was fine.
                          The feed from Saturday's game was horrible. It kept showing the Seawolves scoring.

Nice job UAA.
                          "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
                          -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Congrats to UAA for getting things turned around. Just wished they could have waited one more game.

As for Dahlstrom's streak...
                            Last night was 132:47 which included one shutout a piece over Ferris State and Alaska Anchorage. The front bookend to that streak was the OT Ferris State goal in game one of the series.

Last season, Dahlstrom made a 143:54 run at the record bookended by a 2-2 OT tie of Western Michigan, two shutouts of Alabama Huntsville, and then a Ferris State goal at 11:41 of the first. *This one has been revised, see below.

As for how difficult this streak is, here are the goaltenders who have made runs of approximately 130 minutes or more of consecutive shutout minutes:

Brian Stewart had a 141:54 run in the 08-09 season over four games (two vs MSU, two at tOSU).
                            Craig Kowalski had a 130:40 run in the 03-04 season over four games (at Notre Dame, home/home vs LSSU, at MTU)
                            Craig Kowalski had a 145.18 run in the 02-03 season over four games (home/home vs LSSU, two vs WMU)
                            Duane Hoey had his 160:50 run spanning two seasons (1998-99, 1999-2000) over five games (vs tOSU, mop-up duty vs Michigan, at MTU, at FSU, vs Clarkson) **This is in question, see below.
                            Last edited by aparch; 11-23-2014, 02:07 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

So I was judging all this information off of the NMU website's official record, which still list Duane Hoey's record as 160:50 (http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi...cords10-13.pdf)

Can someone double check the math, please?

On Dahlstrom's run last season, here were his games:
                              http://collegehockeystats.net/1314/boxes/mnmuwmu1.n10
                              Seven seconds of empty net in the third period.
                              10/10 vs WMU: Last WMU goal scored was at 7:13 of the second period. 12:47 of shutout minutes in the second. Third period = (20 minutes minus the seven seconds of empty net) 19:53. Five minutes of shutout OT. 5:00
                              11/22, 11/23: 60:00 of SHO and 59:52 of SHO versus Alabama Huntsville.
                              11/29 vs FSU: Then Ferris Scores 11:41 into the first period of the first game that series.
                              12:47+19:53+5:00+119:52+11:41 = 169:13

But... that made me want to re-check Duane Hoey's record. The box scores are sketchy, but he played:
                              2/12 vs tOSU: tOSU scored at 7:20 in the third. 12:40 of SHO after that.
                              3/6 vs Mich: Relief appearance. 9:27 of SHO.
                              10/9 at MTU: 60:00 SHO
                              10/16 at FSU: 60:00 SHO
                              10/23 vs Clarkson: Clarkson scores 8:10 into the second period. 28:10 of SHO.
                              12:40+9:27+60+60+28:10 = 170:17

I do need someone to double check the 2/12/1999 box score for how many minutes Hoey played in the third. The box score shows both Hoey and Ragusett as playing both the second and third.

*edit* So, I think I figured out the 2/12 game. Ragusett started, and was pulled after tOSU's third goal at 2:43 in the second period (22:43). Duane Hoey then replaced him and was pulled after tOSU's sixth goal (third against Hoey) at 7:20 of the third period (24:37). Ragusett then completed the game with 12:40 of SHO.

So Duane Hoey's record doesn't actually start until March 6th against Michigan:
                              9:27+60+60+28:10 = 157:37

And Dahlstrom is the reigning NMU record holder with last season's streak of 169:13 (again, if my math is right).

And... the NMU record about Duane Hoey has been wrong for almost 15 years.
                              Last edited by aparch; 11-23-2014, 02:24 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                              X