X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dr. Clayton Forrester's Science Roundup

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    You'd get similar results about labeling for dihydrogen oxide.
    I hear it's slippery when wet, which is a safety hazard. Ban it!
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      DHMO was the cause of all school violence? Wow.
      "causation" was not cited. There is merely a high correlation between people who behave violently and daily ingestion of DHMO.

Solid DHMO can a very insidious murder weapon, it can be shaped into a point and used to stab someone yet it usually disappears without an easily-detectable trace in hours, or it can also be used to bludgeon someone while leaving no detectable weapon behind after a few hours pass.
      Last edited by FreshFish; 01-23-2015, 10:22 AM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        One of the really sad elements of any "conversation" concerning "genetically modified" organisms is that in one sense or another, "genetic modification" precedes history: humans have been practicing selective breeding of plants and animals for millennia. In its current version, "genetic modification" is taking place at a different level, but how different is it really in a "broad picture" sense to insert a gene into DNA compared to selecting specific strands of DNA to intermingle?

The first corn had something like four kernels. Dogs and horses originally were one "breed" each.

The "outrage" it seems to me has nothing whatsoever to do with "genetic modification" and is more a complaint of "progress is advancing too fast compared to my ability to comprehend it."
        Spot on. And if people complain about the thousands of mutant/non-viable organisms created in the name of genetic engineering, remind them of the hundreds of millions of such creatures created over the past hundred millenia by breeders of domesticated species.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Spot on. And if people complain about the thousands of mutant/non-viable organisms created in the name of genetic engineering, remind them of the hundreds of millions of such creatures created over the past hundred millenia by breeders of domesticated species.
          Perhaps we could call such people "mulish", eh?
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

You mean Fido is a MUTANT!?!?!?!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              You mean Fido is a MUTANT!?!?!?!
              Yup - and I should know. I'm one, too!!!
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Yup - and I should know. I'm one, too!!!
                Mongrels of the world, UNITE!!
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  The first section of Daniel Kahneman's book Thinking Fast and Slow (the "fast thinking" part) is also superb on those subjects, once you get past his use of the word "heuristics" as a term for "convenient mental shortcuts based on life experience."

Parts of the book even discuss readings they take on things like pupil dilation, which indicate our subconscious is responding to cues from the environment even when we are unaware of it.
                  Interesting you should mention that. After I lent Mistakes Were Made to a friend, he gave me a copy of "Thinking Fast and Slow." Haven't read it yet.

Comment

NASA's Administrator Bolden says
                    "Looking to the future, we’re planning a mission to explore Jupiter’s fascinating moon Europa."
                    But the Monolith has warned us that "All these worlds are ours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there."
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      But the Monolith has warned us that "All these worlds are ours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there."
                      That's "yours."

The Monolith was originally over by Saturn, so what does it know?
                      Last edited by Kepler; 02-02-2015, 02:09 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        That's "yours."

The Monolith was originally over by Saturn, so what does it know?
                        I know, but the English looked wrong if I used yours.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Oh, this is rich: according to the Environmental Working Group, exposure to Tupperware is causing early puberty.

Then again, according to the EWG, if I eat a conventionally grown apple, I'm going to die.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            Oh, this is rich: according to the Environmental Working Group, exposure to Tupperware is causing early puberty.

Then again, according to the EWG, if I eat a conventionally grown apple, I'm going to die.
                            Huh. I thought it was the hormones they give the cows that get into the milk.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              Huh. I thought it was the hormones they give the cows that get into the milk.
                              I've read of concerns in both regards. How big a concern it is, that's hard to say.
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I have heard that much of the early puberty can be attributed to better nutrition (or excess) that was not available in prior generations. I do not think all of it can be chalked up to that but it makes the impact of the other variables at least a bit less scary.
                                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X