X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: The League Of Anarchy Is A Bunch Of Justified Mad Men

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    That's why God made >>. There's at least one scene in every Tarantino film where I say "NOPE NOPE NOPE" and grab the remote.
    The only one I turn away from is the adrenaline shot in Pulp Fiction. However, the worst scene I can think of that I will NEVER watch again is the curb-stomp in American History X. *shudder*
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      The only one I turn away from is the adrenaline shot in Pulp Fiction. However, the worst scene I can think of that I will NEVER watch again is the curb-stomp in American History X. *shudder*
      I've never watched the Stuck in the Middle with You scene in Reservoir Dogs all the way through, and these days I just skip the entire scene.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I've never watched the Stuck in the Middle with You scene in Reservoir Dogs all the way through, and these days I just skip the entire scene.
        That never bothered me. Dunno why. I actually do "the dance" whenever I hear that song.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Stuck in the middle is the first one that came to mind, and I too don't care for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Stuck in the middle is the first one that came to mind, and I too don't care for it.
            Odd bit of trivia: Madsen had trouble doing that scene, after the actor who played the cop ad-libbed "I have a child at home." Madsen had just become a father at the time.

Comment

That never bothered me. Dunno why. I actually do "the dance" whenever I hear that song.
              In horror they talk about "separation," where you can tolerate or even enjoy a gore scene because you've switched from identifying with the characters as people to seeing them a movie props. Fulci and Argento movies have insanely high body counts with progressively more absurd and disgusting deaths, and that's the whole point -- the absurdity makes it comic rather than dramatic. Something related happens in war movies, where people hoot about rows of men being mowed down because they've been dehumanized as The Enemy.

My problem with SITMWY is I couldn't shake the humanness of the characters, so it was just appalling and depressing. Given who Tarantino is, I wasn't watching the scene "right," since he's all about the exploitation genre. It's on me, but I still won't watch it.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So who watched NBC's The Americans clone? I decided to watch the first episode just to see, with already pre-determined opinion that it was total ripoff, and I actually ended up liking it well enough that I'm going to keep watching.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

In horror they talk about "separation," where you can tolerate or even enjoy a gore scene because you've switched from identifying with the characters as people to seeing them a movie props. Fulci and Argento movies have insanely high body counts with progressively more absurd and disgusting deaths, and that's the whole point -- the absurdity makes it comic rather than dramatic. Something related happens in war movies, where people hoot about rows of men being mowed down because they've been dehumanized as The Enemy.

My problem with SITMWY is I couldn't shake the humanness of the characters, so it was just appalling and depressing. Given who Tarantino is, I wasn't watching the scene "right," since he's all about the exploitation genre. It's on me, but I still won't watch it.
                  I guess since they didn't actually show it, I don't have a problem with it. Horrific? Sure. But not like watching that Americans scene.

Comment

Band Of Brothers:

Just finished Ep 9 (Why We Fight).

Um, yeah. JFC. Dusty room, lump in throat. And reinforces the fact I shall never watch Schindler's List. I just can't do it. This ep was tough enough to watch.

Comment

Band Of Brothers:

Just finished Ep 9 (Why We Fight).

Um, yeah. JFC. Dusty room, lump in throat. And reinforces the fact I shall never watch Schindler's List. I just can't do it. This ep was tough enough to watch.
                      Schindler's List focuses on an entirely different type of concentration camp. While equally despicable, it's not filled with the living corpses that you see in BoB. SL focuses on a work camp, and yes there are Jews treated and killed with an inhumane great indifference, it's less gruesome than the display in BoB in sight.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Schindler's List focuses on an entirely different type of concentration camp. While equally despicable, it's not filled with the living corpses that you see in BoB. SL focuses on a work camp, and yes there are Jews treated and killed with an inhumane great indifference, it's less gruesome than the display in BoB in sight.
                        Just the scene of the one prisoner hugging/kissing the US soldier....that sealed it for me. That single act...knowing the emotion behind it...yeah.

Comment

When Liebgott had to tell them that they have to get back behind the gates, cripes. Rough.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Finished BoB.

The first half of the series...meh. The last half? Progressively emotionally moving. Holy hannah. Ep 10 was a little dis-jointed, but understandable. Overall? That last half took a lot out of me. A lot. Very well done.

Comment

• Why We Fight gets me every time. So many emotionally heavy scenes/vignettes.

The lady from the town is another.

First half of the series "meh" though?

Comment

Walking Dead was great tonight.

Not so much in the content/plot of the episode, but the delivery was really cool.

Also - the slow-mo walker deaths at the gate were a visual treat.

Comment

Working...
                                X