This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    I know it's sacrilege to say this, but I think they could have gotten another five years out of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart if they had just kept showing the latest video of some Fox News anchor saying something asinine, then looping in old video of footage of Stewart mugging to the camera, sort of like they've done for the past five years.
    You're correct. That was great.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Re: TV: The League Of Anarchy Is A Bunch Of Justified Mad Men

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I'd like to see a female host, but the two most frequent cast members probably won't work unless they've got way more breadth than the show has demonstrated so far. Samantha Bee lays it on way too thick in her bits. Jessica Williams only shows one tone. Kristen Schaal is so smart and so brave she could do the show in her sleep, but there's no evidence in her career that she wants that sort of chair.

If I could have my dream host it would be John Hodgman. Again, he's just so freaking smart he'd easily be up to it, and he has such a distinctive style there would be a nice clean change.
      Yeah of the female correspondents Schaal has done much more in-studio pieces which would better prepare her for the chair than Williams or Bee. Those two are great at on-site pieces but would not translate as well. The downside of Schaal hosting would be hearing her voice every night which would result in a large section of the audience poking their ears out.

Hodgman would definitely be the best, but I don't know if his style would have the endurance needed for every night.

Definitely not Jason Jones, though. When we hosted for a week this past year he was very flat.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

All of the female correspondents grate on my nerves.

They need top pry Oliver out of his HBO contract. He would be the perfect solution.

Comment

Perhaps Brian Williams and Jon Stewart could just exchange jobs. They're both great, funny, and have a knack for telling us fake news. It's a no-brainer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

They need top pry Oliver out of his HBO contract. He would be the perfect solution.
            Early rumor is that TPTB hammer out an arrangement where Oliver would host both. No idea if that could work. It seems more like wishful thinking, but that's the rumor.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Early rumor is that TPTB hammer out an arrangement where Oliver would host both. No idea if that could work. It seems more like wishful thinking, but that's the rumor.
              I'd prefer Aasif Mandvi. I think Oliver is perfect where he is, doing in depth investigatory stuff and international news. I just wish he wouldn't take every other quarter off. I like the variety of TDS and LWT. I reallt want to like TNS, but as others have said Larry really needs to find a higher gear soon.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

No... Oliver 100% uncensored is taking an awesome product and upping the awesomeness 1000%.... He needs to stay put at HBO...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I reallt want to like TNS, but as others have said Larry really needs to find a higher gear soon.

Yeah... I've tried that show, but haven't connected with it on any level yet. He wasn't one of my favorite correspondents, so maybe I just don't find him all that engaging.

I don't have HBO, so haven't seen Oliver in his new gig.

I stand by him being the best to replace Stewart though as he was GREAT when he filled in last summer. He proved that he can carry an entire half hour.

Maybe he can do both and maybe that diversity would appeal to him. Gotta think that without question TDS has a larger audience and reach than what he's doing on HBO, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Comment

Also gotta think that CC may be in full panic mode now that they're also losing Stewart.

Can't see them going for another relatively unknown as a host.

Comment

Yeah... I've tried that show, but haven't connected with it on any level yet. He wasn't one of my favorite correspondents, so maybe I just don't find him all that engaging.

I stand by him being the best to replace Stewart though as he was GREAT when he filled in last summer. He proved that he can carry an entire half hour.

Maybe he can do both and maybe that diversity would appeal to him. Gotta think that without question TDS has a larger audience and reach than what he's doing on HBO, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
                      Last Week Tonight puts their main segment on YouTube each week. Well worth checking those out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Also gotta think that CC may be in full panic mode now that they're also losing Stewart.

Can't see them going for another relatively unknown as a host.
                        To add to that panic, South Park has what? 2-3 seasons left on their contract?
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

It's outstanding. It's right up there with TDS and Colbert at their very best, and it's even smarter (plus it doesn't have to waste a third of the broadcast on whatever cumsponge has her new movie out).
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                            Last Week Tonight puts their main segment on YouTube each week. Well worth checking those out.
                            Well worth a look...
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I hope they get Oliver back. But, maybe there is someone entirely new out there we don't know about? Although somehow I doubt that given the train wreck SNL's Weekend Update is this season.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                I hope they get Oliver back. But, maybe there is someone entirely new out there we don't know about? Although somehow I doubt that given the train wreck SNL's Weekend Update is this season.
                                Please not Michael Che please not Michael Che.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X