This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS Part VI - Roberts rules disorder

I understand the legal reasoning...but ultimately it should always be her choice. This bs where officials can force someone to take a treatment they dont want is ridiculous. It is her body and her life.

If she was ten I could see it, but 16/17 is old enough to consent to sex in most states for chrissakes. She she can consent to screw but cant choose not to take chemotherapy? I wonder why that is...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I understand the legal reasoning...but ultimately it should always be her choice. This bs where officials can force someone to take a treatment they dont want is ridiculous. It is her body and her life.

If she was ten I could see it, but 16/17 is old enough to consent to sex in most states for chrissakes. She she can consent to screw but cant choose not to take chemotherapy? I wonder why that is...
      I don't know, but maybe a more focused question would provide a closer analogy.

If a minor plans to have sex with a someone known to be carrying the ebola virus and the parents refuse to do anything to stop it, should the County be able to intervene? Granted, that's not the best analogy either.

The question is not whether the county (or state) can decide for her but whether the county should be able to get the issue before a judge.

Personally, I'd prefer to let most 17 year-olds make that decision, but when you set arbitrary age limitations you get those results.
      Last edited by burd; 01-03-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I understand the legal reasoning...but ultimately it should always be her choice.
        What if she was mentally handicapped? What if she was drunk? What if whatever condition she is requiring treatment for does not allow her to make any rational decisions? There are grey areas. Ultimately, it should not always be the choice of the individual. With what info was provided, there is no meaningful way to criticize the situation because there is no meaningful information presented.

This bs where officials can force someone to take a treatment they dont want is ridiculous. It is her body and her life.
        Situations like this happen every day. 99% are resolved with better communication between parties, before an ethics committee is even considered. Again, I would be willing to bet that the medical teams position would sound quite rational to most people if we had all of the information (which for the child's sake, should probably be withheld anyway). It can be a PR nightmare for a hospital to fight against a patient's wishes/parent's wishes, so if I am not in-the-know, I assume they probably have a pretty good reason to do so.
        Last edited by WisconsinWildcard; 01-03-2015, 01:20 PM.
        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
          What if she were mentally handicapped? What if she were drunk? What if whatever condition she is requiring treatment for does not allow her to make any rational decisions? There are grey areas. Ultimately, it should not always be the choice of the individual. With what info was provided, there is no meaningful way to criticize the situation because there is no meaningful information presented.

Situations like this happen every day. 99% are resolved with better communication between parties, before an ethics committee is even considered. Again, I would be willing to bet that the medical teams position would sound quite rational to most people if we had all of the information (which for the child's sake, should probably be withheld anyway). It can be a PR nightmare for a hospital to fight against a patient's wishes/parent's wishes, so if I am not in-the-know, I assume they probably have a pretty good reason to do so.
          That dang voice of reason.

Comment

She isnt drunk and she isnt handicapped but nice try.

She knows the risks, she is the one with the disease so why exactly cant she decide?

If she was 18 would you be for this?
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oh stop it. We have all said we don't know the details and have made a number of qualifiers.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

How do you know she knows the risks? That she understands them?
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Links:

Story 1
                  Story 2
                  Story 3 (w/video)

Comment

http://foxct.com/2015/01/02/connecti...st-her-wishes/

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...102-story.html

Doesnt sound like she is some gullible kid.

Answer the question...if she was 18 would you be ok with this?

edit: Priceless posted one of the above links.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Thank you (and Priceless) for the links. I suspected it would be something like Hodgkin's lymphoma because these type of disagreements tend to happen over things that have very effective treatments that have a significantly impact on survival. It would be less likely to get to this point over something like pancreatic cancer since treatment is quite invasive and minimally effective.

Doesnt sound like she is some gullible kid.
                      Gullible and decisional capacity are very different things. I do not like to diagnose from afar so I will punt on that evaluation.

Answer the question...if she was 18 would you be ok with this?
                      To be honest, it depends. I can think of scenarios from a medical standpoint that could make me go either way. However, from what I can tell, both sides seem to be acting in (reasonably) appropriate ways and the court may be the best place to settle this. I am far from a legal expert so others may have more to add on that aspect.

I am not going to go down the rabbit hole of 17 years and 364 days vs 18 years. I lack both the necessary education on the legal aspect as well as a strong enough opinion on either side to enter into that.

I said what I said earlier in an attempt to broaden your viewpoint on the below blanket statements.
                      but ultimately it should always be her choice. This bs where officials can force someone to take a treatment they dont want is ridiculous. It is her body and her life.
                      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                        I am not going to go down the rabbit hole of 17 years and 364 days vs 18 years. I lack both the necessary education on the legal aspect as well as a strong enough opinion on either side to enter into that.
                        Legally it makes all the difference in the world. At 18 you are an adult. At 17 & 364/365, you're still a minor.

Now, most courts are supposed to treat such persons differently than they would a 2 year old. The older the minor, the more their wishes are supposed to be taken into consideration as they are supposed to be deemed more capable of independent decisions than someone younger. That's why teens can be brought into adult court for serious offenses, but the same crime committed by a 7 year old would always wind up in juvenile court. The parents' wishes are also supposed to be taken into account, though are not as sactrosanct as the child's own wishes (there's plenty of cases of states forcing children of Jehovah's witnesses to accept blood transfusions, for instance).

Frankly, I would hope most judges would let 17 year olds decide for themselves absent extenuating circumstances like mental impairment or drug abuse. But who knows, maybe she caught the judge on a bad day or something.

edit: or, having now read the article, apparently Connecticut hasn't officially adopted that form of reasoning, and they treat all minors alike. That's what she's fighting in court to get changed.
                        Last edited by unofan; 01-03-2015, 04:31 PM.

Comment

38 years ago we were debating this.

At what point does the State's interest outweigh the person's? In this case, I would prefer the Connecticut legislature to examine their laws regarding competency and revise them if necessary.

I don't particularly like the courts stepping in in place of the legislature, but when an arm of the State takes custody of my kid, asserting that they know best, then the courts are necessary to stop overreach.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Legally it makes all the difference in the world. At 18 you are an adult. At 17 & 364/365, you're still a minor.

Now, most courts are supposed to treat such persons differently than they would a 2 year old. The older the minor, the more their wishes are supposed to be taken into consideration as they are supposed to be deemed more capable of independent decisions than someone younger. That's why teens can be brought into adult court for serious offenses, but the same crime committed by a 7 year old would always wind up in juvenile court. The parents' wishes are also supposed to be taken into account, though are not as sactrosanct as the child's own wishes (there's plenty of cases of states forcing children of Jehovah's witnesses to accept blood transfusions, for instance).

Frankly, I would hope most judges would let 17 year olds decide for themselves absent extenuating circumstances like mental impairment or drug abuse. But who knows, maybe she caught the judge on a bad day or something.

edit: or, having now read the article, apparently Connecticut hasn't officially adopted that form of reasoning, and they treat all minors alike. That's what she's fighting in court to get changed.
                            Like most states, Connecticut has an emancipation statute. http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/ch...tm#sec_46b-150

What that means is that if this girl were married, or if she lived out on her own and supported herself, she would have a right to petition to be "emancipated" from her parents and have the same legal right as other adults to decide her own medical fate.

In light of this, it certainly seems implied that Connecticut, like other states, considers 17 year olds to have at least some ability to rationally make decisions like this.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So this cancer story has started to hit the mainstream circuits quite a bit more and the mom gave an interview (maybe more) as well. From the sounds of it, and I could have completely misheard her, she was essentially thinking this would just go away and she'd get better. "She doesn't want to put poison in her body." It was a really bizarre interview.
                              Code:

Comment

I heard some more background on the 17-yr old CT teen with cancer. Doctor A diagnosed her and recommended chemo. The mother asked for a copy of her daughter's medical records and said she wanted to get a second opinion before agreeing to follow through on Doctor A's prescription. Doctor A then called DFS and asked for the daughter to be removed from parental care.

If true, this detail sheds a whole different, unsavory light on the whole picture.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X