X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS Part VI - Roberts rules disorder

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Are you talking about the North Carolina criminal case?

I suspect most people who read or hear about that case have this reaction. The cops stopped a guy and discovered he had cocaine in his car. He was convicted of having the cocaine. What's the problem?

The general public may understand the need for probable cause to stop someone, or search their car. But in this case the guy's taillight was out. Arcane legal arguments about whether one light or both had to be out, and "reasonable mistakes" of law or fact go right past most of the public, liberal or conservative.

But if you spend your life constantly concerned about the overly repressive State, isn't this the first step towards black helicopters and gulags?
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Are you talking about the North Carolina criminal case?

I suspect most people who read or hear about that case have this reaction. The cops stopped a guy and discovered he had cocaine in his car. He was convicted of having the cocaine. What's the problem?

The general public may understand the need for probable cause to stop someone, or search their car. But in this case the guy's taillight was out. Arcane legal arguments about whether one light or both had to be out, and "reasonable mistakes" of law or fact go right past most of the public, liberal or conservative.
      While true, in Minnesota a broken tail light (or any basic moving violation like speeding) is not enough to allow a search of the vehicle or a person. Problem is 99% of the people on the road dont know that and consent thinking they have to.

My late cousin was a pretty well known attorney in Minnesota and he would give us the same advice every time the subject came up: "If they ask you say no." Had a law professor who said the same thing.

edit: Not commenting on this case just making a general point.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        But if you spend your life constantly concerned about the overly repressive State, isn't this the first step towards black helicopters and gulags?
        Smart conservatives recognize the need to let the cops repress a white guy now and again.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Smart conservatives recognize the need to let the cops repress a white guy now and again.

Good thinking!

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

http://deadspin.com/fighters-sue-the...-fe-1672044117

Not sure where to put this, but kind of wanted a more legalese opinion.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Genuine curiosity:

Do recipients of public assistance money have a constitutional right to spend that money on drugs and alcohol? or can states legally mandate that they have to pass a drug test first to continue to receive the money?

(I'm not asking about whether it is good policy or not, I'm sure the know-it-alls already have that answer, I'm merely asking if it is legal or not).
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Genuine curiosity:

Do recipients of public assistance money have a constitutional right to spend that money on drugs and alcohol? or can states legally mandate that they have to pass a drug test first to continue to receive the money?

(I'm not asking about whether it is good policy or not, I'm sure the know-it-alls already have that answer, I'm merely asking if it is legal or not).
                What do you consider public assistance? Social Security? Medicare? Military pensions? Government salary? Corporate welfare?

Comment

Genuine curiosity:

You're so full of **** your eyes must be brown.

Comment

Genuine curiosity:

Since you can't use traditional welfare to buy either of those things, you're really asking if they should be allowed to spend their own money on them now that taxpayers are providing them with food.

They have the constitutional right to spend their own money in a legal manner as they see fit, just as you or I do. They also have a fourth amendment right against unreasonable searches and seizures. Doesn't matter that it's the Dept. of health and human services rather than a cop; a government actor is still a government actor.

So no, you don't get to take away Billy Bob's 21st Amendment rights simply because he's getting food stamps.
                    Last edited by unofan; 12-17-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I am sure Fishy would have no such question about using public assistance to buy guns.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I am sure Fishy would have no such question about using public assistance to buy guns.
                        Everyone needs lots of iron in their diet (just be careful about lead poisoning)

Comment

Bob Gray, start learning Spanish if you want to drive around town!

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/1...3.html?hp=l3_4

Comment

I am reminded of the sociological experiment my kids and I always wanted to try, but never did.

We talked about going into a crowded public place and then yelling "hey stupid!" loudly to see who would turn around.....
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Since you can't use traditional welfare to buy either of those things, you're really asking if they should be allowed to spend their own money on them now that taxpayers are providing them with food.

They have the constitutional right to spend their own money in a legal manner as they see fit, just as you or I do. They also have a fourth amendment right against unreasonable searches and seizures. Doesn't matter that it's the Dept. of health and human services rather than a cop; a government actor is still a government actor.

So no, you don't get to take away Billy Bob's 21st Amendment rights simply because he's getting food stamps.
                              But food stamps are not a right are they? Why could it not be conditional? "Sure you can get food stamps, but part of qualifying for them is passing a drug test".

Comment

I am reminded of the sociological experiment my kids and I always wanted to try, but never did.

We talked about going into a crowded public place and then yelling "hey stupid!" loudly to see who would turn around.....
                                How could it be a fair test if you were aware of it in advance?
                                "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Working...
                                X