Clear All

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS Part VI - Roberts rules disorder

Ha!
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Interesting case.

Elonis v. United States, 13-983:

The case has drawn widespread attention from free-speech advocates who say comments on Facebook, Twitter and other social media can be hasty, impulsive and easily misinterpreted. They point out that a message on Facebook intended for a small group could be taken out of context when viewed by a wider audience.

"A statute that proscribes speech without regard to the speaker's intended meaning runs the risk of punishing protected First Amendment expression simply because it is crudely or zealously expressed," said a brief from the American Civil Liberties Union and other groups.

So far, most lower courts have rejected that view, ruling that a "true threat" depends on how an objective person perceives the message.

For more than four decades, the Supreme Court has said that "true threats" to harm another person are not protected speech under the First Amendment. But the court has been careful to distinguish threats from protected speech such as "political hyperbole" or "unpleasantly sharp attacks."
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Interesting case.

It should be an interesting decision. This court has been pretty protective of speech.

Tone Dougie obviously has some issues, and it sounds like his ex made a very good decision to get as far away as possible from him. Here, though, is what bothers me about this type of social media "threat." How real of a threat is it? So we have another internet tough guy. They're a dime a dozen. Also, how much of a threat can it be if you don't even know if they'll get it or read it? If someone is being a jerk, block them or drop them or put them on ignore.

If you come to my house and say, "I'm going to kill you," that's a serious threat. This guy's antics were just those of a clown.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          If you come to my house and say, "I'm going to kill you," that's a serious threat. This guy's antics were just those of a clown.
          If you send a letter through the mail to X that says "I want to kill Y," what happens?

If you send a letter through the mail that says "I want to kill you," what happens?

If you put a note on a public bulletin board that says "I want to kill X," what happens?

I don't know the answer to any of these things, but I think the Facebook threat is closer and closer to each.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Interesting case.

HA! Beat you to it by 8 days!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              HA! Beat you to it by 8 days!
              Oops. Sorry.
              Cornell University

Comment

If you send a letter through the mail to X that says "I want to kill Y," what happens?

If you send a letter through the mail that says "I want to kill you," what happens?

If you put a note on a public bulletin board that says "I want to kill X," what happens?

I don't know the answer to any of these things, but I think the Facebook threat is closer and closer to each.
                I'm of a view that #2 is the worst of all, because it's a threat made to that person about that person.

I think this is where the protective/harassment/restraining orders come into play. Someone posts something that sounds threatening or harassing, or someone calls you, or sends you a letter, get the order. Then, if they do it again, they've committed a legitimate crime. They have basically committed contempt of court. Send them to jail.

I'm sure the criminal defense lawyers here can shed better light on it, but I have a lot of trouble prosecuting someone for putting up a sign on a public message board that basically says "I wish X were dead" or "I should have killed X when I had the chance" or similar such nonsense.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

#2 is the worst by far. It is a direct threat.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I have a lot of trouble prosecuting someone for putting up a sign on a public message board that basically says "I wish X were dead" or "I should have killed X when I had the chance" or similar such nonsense.
                    Agreed. "I wish..." can't be criminal; it's a thought.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Another 9 - 0 reprimand to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals....

In Integrity Staffing Solutions v. Busk, employees filed a putative class-action suit against a company that ships for Amazon.com , claiming workers were entitled to back pay for time waiting to go through a metal detector to and from work.

The 1947 Portal to Portal Act drew clear boundaries around activities that count as part of the official workday for which employees should be paid. Congress wrote the law to address an avalanche of some 1,500 lawsuits filed by unions and employees after the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act passed. Activities had to be “integral and indispensable” to getting the job done.

The Ninth Circuit “erred by focusing on whether an employer required a particular activity,” Justice Thomas wrote for the Court, when the “test is tied to the productive work that the employee is employed to perform.” Under the Court’s precedents, butchers sharpening their knives can count, for instance, but not poultry-plant workers waiting to put on protective gear.

Joined by Justice Elena Kagan , Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote in a concurrence that the case was not about worker safety. “As our precedents make clear, the Portal to Portal Act of 1947 is primarily concerned with defining the beginning and end of the workday.”
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Sotomayor has a solo dissent on Heien v. North Carolina, where the majority holds that a reasonable mistake of law by an officer is not grounds for tossing evidence.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...3-604_ec8f.pdf

I'm with Sotomayor on this one. This is liable to prompt a lot of "reasonable" "mistakes".
                        Last edited by Craig P.; 12-15-2014, 08:35 PM.
                        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Holy ****. She was the only one? Jeebus.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Based on the outline of the case, I think it's the correct decision for this particular stop, but setting precedent like that definitely opens up a can of worms going forward.

Comment

Why are the USCHO conservative posters always silent when a ruling like this gets handed down?
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Why are the USCHO conservative posters always silent when a ruling like this gets handed down?
                                Are you talking about the North Carolina criminal case?

I suspect most people who read or hear about that case have this reaction. The cops stopped a guy and discovered he had cocaine in his car. He was convicted of having the cocaine. What's the problem?

The general public may understand the need for probable cause to stop someone, or search their car. But in this case the guy's taillight was out. Arcane legal arguments about whether one light or both had to be out, and "reasonable mistakes" of law or fact go right past most of the public, liberal or conservative.

Comment

Working...
                                X