This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    If a recipient of food stamps is spending other money on things like drugs or even cigarettes are they abusing the system?
    Assumes facts not in evidence.

Comment

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS Part VI - Roberts rules disorder

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Assumes facts not in evidence.
      Hence the "IF" in my question….

Comment

If a recipient of food stamps is spending other money on things like drugs or even cigarettes are they abusing the system?
        Are the college athletes with thousands of dollars in tattoos getting paid by boosters?
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Hence the "IF" in my question….
          They're abusing the system as much as a farmer using meth while collecting farming subsidies or a CEO snorting coke while benefiting from corporate welfare.

Comment

Could a person make a viable Third Amendment argument against placing government spyware on mobile phones?

That would make a fascinating case...
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              Could a person make a viable Third Amendment argument against placing government spyware on mobile phones?

Is private spyware on mobile phones breaking and entering?
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Is private spyware on mobile phones breaking and entering?
                Of course not; by downloading those apps, you opted in.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Of course not; by downloading those apps, you opted in.
                  Depends on what you consented to when the listed the permissions. If they did not disclose that the app could turn on the camera and/or mike without the owner's permission, then you have a case. If they did, and you clicked yes, then shame on you.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I see where you are going on it being interesting, but I don't think it would work. The Third Amendment is really about seizure of assets (your space).

Seems like a slam dunk Fourth Amendment case, though.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Depends on what you consented to when the listed the permissions. If they did not disclose that the app could turn on the camera and/or mike without the owner's permission, then you have a case. If they did, and you clicked yes, then shame on you.
                      That's mostly true, but I was being a bit sarcastic.

Comment

No. You're not quartering anyone.

Now 4th amendment...

Comment

Now 4th amendment...
                          I just got a funny image in my head of soldiers moving into their barracks going, "Awwwww, yeah - executing that 3rd amendment remedy, baby."

Maybe it was only funny if it stayed in my head....
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Doesn't that depend upon definition of "soldier"? is a "government spy" considered to be a "soldier" as a representative of the military arm of the government? If so, does a "government spy" necessarily have to be a human being? or is "government spyware" a representative of the military arm of the government and by extension thereby a "soldier"?

Then we get into definition of "house". Is that merely your "brick and mortar" residence? more and more people are carrying their entire lives on their smartphone these days. Might the concept of "house", given present technology, include your smartphone? It certainly "houses" all of your private personal information on its hard drive!

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
                            No "Spyware" shall, in time of peace, be "quartered" (i.e., "housed") in any "Smartphone" without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Of course, the "easy" response from the government would be to say that the "war on terror" makes this a "time of war" but then at least they would have to pass a law to allow it. Hmm...I suppose they already have a "manner prescribed by law": the FISA courts, eh? so then the entire argument would merely come down to whether this is a "time of war" or not.

Seems to me that a person could make a viable argument, not necessarily a winning one.
                            Last edited by FreshFish; 12-20-2014, 10:12 AM.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

What about a social worker?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Might the concept of "house", given present technology, include your smartphone?
                                No.

Comment

Working...
                                X