• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power of the SCOTUS Part VI - Roberts rules disorder

continuance
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS Part VI - Roberts rules disorder

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    continuance
    stare decisis

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      stare decisis
      in flagrante delicto
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Subscribed because gluteus maximus
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Joseph Smith was a civilized and generous man
          http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/n...re?tid=HP_more
          Last edited by joecct; 11-11-2014, 12:59 PM.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I find this offensive and hopefully illegal. Though these days offensive may carry greater weight...
            http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-surveillance/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I find this offensive and hopefully illegal. Though these days offensive may carry greater weight...
              http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-surveillance/
              I'm reminded of the pre-cellphone days when radio phones were available for general use. There was a big-time drug dealer in Chicago by the name of Flukey Stokes who used radio phones to coordinate his gang activities. The police listened in and recorded them, and used the recordings as evidence at trial. The defense wanted the recordings tossed, but the court ruled that there was no "expectation of privacy" because anyone with a radio tuned to the same frequency could listen in.

However, with landline telephones, there IS an "expectation of privacy" and that is why the police have to get warrants approved before they can tap a telephone line.

It seems like we need the courts to clarify which precedent "should" apply to cell phones. It seems to me that the latter should.

I'm waiting for the next entrepreneur to come forward with cell phone encryption technology that scrambles the outgoing message so that only a receiving phone with the right "key" can unscramble it. naturally only the bad guys would have that technology.

Haven't there been articles lately citing law enforcement officials complaining that some cell phone encryption is "too good" ?
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

SCOTUS has a tough one. 1st Amendment vs. Criminal speech.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

SCOTUS has a tough one. 1st Amendment vs. Criminal speech.
                  I can see this Court parsing it very fine: "if you say 'I feel like bashing her head in' that's free speech; if you say 'I feel like bashing your head in' that's a threat."
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Get well soon.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was hospitalized Tuesday night and had a stent placed in her right coronary artery Wednesday morning, a Supreme Court spokeswoman said.

Ginsburg, 81, the court’s oldest justice, is expected to be released within 48 hours, according to spokeswoman Kathleen Arberg.
                    My Mom had this done 25 years ago and has been completely fine since. But 81 is 81.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Hasn't she already survived two rounds of cancer? I suspect she's got another decade in her.

It seems the jabot will go out of style with her.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        It seems the jabot will go out of style with her.
                        Had to look it up. I learned something today!

I say we bring it back for men.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Hasn't she already survived two rounds of cancer? I suspect she's got another decade in her.
                          She's gotta make it to Hillary's inaugural. Seems pretty obvious to me that she goes out on Grrrl Power.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            She's gotta make it to Hillary's inaugural. Seems pretty obvious to me that she goes out on Grrrl Power.
                            Just to tweak you just a bit - What if it was Sarah Palin?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Just to tweak you just a bit - What if it was Sarah Palin?
                              I doubt she's going to Hillary's inaugural.

Comment

Working...
                              X