X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
    So next week is Götterdämmerung?
    Waiting to hear if there will be more this week - I would expect yes with 7 to go, especially the five big ones still out there.

Comment

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS Part VI - Roberts rules disorder

So we can presume the following based on what's left: Kennedy is writing the fair housing act case, Scalia has the clean air act case, and between RBG, Roberts, and Kennedy, two of them will cover the ACA and AZ redistricting cases.

I would presume Kennedy is writing the gay marriage case, too, but that's based on his history writing the major gay rights cases and not on the current year's stats.

Comment

There will be decisions Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          So we can presume the following based on what's left: Kennedy is writing the fair housing act case, Scalia has the clean air act case, and between RBG, Roberts, and Kennedy, two of them will cover the ACA and AZ redistricting cases.

I would presume Kennedy is writing the gay marriage case, too, but that's based on his history writing the major gay rights cases and not on the current year's stats.
          Thanks again for giving these insights; they're great.

Is there any chance the gay marriage decision will be "clean" -- i.e., establish gay marriage as a right in all 50 states, period? Or will we still be looking at a few more years and a few more cases until all the obstacles are finally gone?
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Is there any chance the gay marriage decision will be "clean" -- i.e., establish gay marriage as a right in all 50 states, period? Or will we still be looking at a few more years and a few more cases until all the obstacles are finally gone?
            Kepler

You and I will disagree. States have the right to restrict who can and cannot get married in their state. They must also recognize a legal marriage from the other several states.

There is no doubt in my mind that same sex marriage is here to stay. But I would prefer to have the ratification done legislatively or via the ballot box rather than by judicial decree.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Kepler

You and I will disagree. States have the right to restrict who can and cannot get married in their state. They must also recognize a legal marriage from the other several states.

There is no doubt in my mind that same sex marriage is here to stay. But I would prefer to have the ratification done legislatively or via the ballot box rather than by judicial decree.
              It's a states rights issue, 14th Amendment be dammmed? What happened to the good old miscegenation laws?

Comment

Kepler

So if a state bans interracial marriage you're cool with that?
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Kepler

As the other two posters said, on civil rights the 14th supersedes the states, so it comes down to whether this is a civil right. In my opinion, gay marriage is about to "graduate" to a civil right. I would think the case would wind up being explicitly decided on the 14th.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    So if a state bans interracial marriage you're cool with that?
                    People always seem to forget about that pesky precedent and what it means to this case. I don't know how they forget, but they always do.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Considering that the official issue in the case is along the lines of "Does the 14th Amendment require states to license same sex marriages?" - yes, we will get a clean answer in that one. It only gets murky if the answer is "no."

Now some states have already had the derps set in motion things to counter a "yes" ruling. One set proposes to limit marriage to the religious by stripping powers from judges and other secular officials, something which would instantly fail a 1st Amendment challenge.

Others have threatened to pull their state out of the marriage business altogether, otherwise known as the "taking their ball and going home" defense. That might be legal though it would have a flurry of challenges since marriage is recognized as a fundamental right. I also don't believe the political will to actually go through with that exists. Are you really gonna tell millions of people they can't get married out of spite towards the gays?

Comment

On the recognition question, it's not as clear cut as Joe would have you believe. It was apparent at oral argument most of the justices felt if the 14th doesn't require states to perform same sex marriages, it can't compel them to recognize them, either.

And the full faith and credit clause isn't in play this time around, and the judiciary doesn't seem compelled to go there anytime soon for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                        X