This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part IX - How Lame is my Duck

60 Minutes did a great piece on how the US is falling behind other nations in regards to transportation infrastructure. I figure another 20 years or so and we'll be North Korea.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/falling-...nfrastructure/
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      60 Minutes did a great piece on how the US is falling behind other nations in regards to transportation infrastructure. I figure another 20 years or so and we'll be North Korea.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/falling-...nfrastructure/
      Yep. And it's dangerous.

But there are choices to be made and if your budget is forced by law to expend $X for mandated programs and you have other fixed costs of $Y; unless the income side goes up, or you're willing to issue debt instruments, your discretionary $ available for all other projects including repair and maintenance are going to suffer.

I don't particularly trust any legislature to spend money wisely. If the money supply goes up, they'll poop it away on something nifty that is short term because it will be shiny and the voters will remember it at the next election. A new sewer or water pipe never got votes.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Yep. And it's dangerous.

But there are choices to be made and if your budget is forced by law to expend $X for mandated programs and you have other fixed costs of $Y; unless the income side goes up, or you're willing to issue debt instruments, your discretionary $ available for all other projects including repair and maintenance are going to suffer.

I don't particularly trust any legislature to spend money wisely. If the money supply goes up, they'll poop it away on something nifty that is short term because it will be shiny and the voters will remember it at the next election. A new sewer or water pipe never got votes.
        We have plenty of money. It's all going to the Middle East right now, that's the problem. Not one of those morons in Washington will spend the money here and we're all going to suffer because of it.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          We have plenty of money. It's all going to the Middle East right now, that's the problem. Not one of those morons in Washington will spend the money here and we're all going to suffer because of it.
          Yes there is turnover in the Congress, but the leaders, who control the agenda, keep coming back. The biological solution takes too long. The Tom Clancy solution, while admirable, is a too drastic. Guess it's up to us, the voters.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Yes there is turnover in the Congress, but the leaders, who control the agenda, keep coming back. The biological solution takes too long. The Tom Clancy solution, while admirable, is a too drastic. Guess it's up to us, the voters.
            The biological solution doesn't work anyway since the replacements will keep lowering taxes and wasting the dwindling revenue.

The voters are what got us into this mess, both by their votes and their non-votes.

The Tom Clancy solution is worse than the disease.

Is the answer Jesus?
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The biological solution doesn't work anyway since the replacements will keep lowering taxes and wasting the dwindling revenue.

The voters are what got us into this mess, both by their votes and their non-votes.

The Tom Clancy solution is worse than the disease.

Is the answer Jesus?
              Raise taxes in times of prosperity. Cut taxes during a recession.

Stop trying to solve all the problems legislatively.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Raise taxes in times of prosperity. Cut taxes during a recession.

Stop trying to solve all the problems legislatively.
                Keep taxes the same in all periods. Borrow during recessions when revenue is down and need is up, pay down the debt during booms when it is the opposite.
                Last edited by Kepler; 11-24-2014, 01:32 PM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

7 Billion is needed to fix all the roads and bridges that need repair in Pennsylvania. 1 Trillion has been wasted in the Middle East.

We are so stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Keep taxes the same in all periods. Borrow during recessions when revenue is down and need to up, pay down the debt during booms when it is the opposite.
                    As if we could find politicians (and the public who they are elected by) who would be so disciplined.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                      As if we could find politicians (and the public who they are elected by) who would be so disciplined.
                      That's why we're running!
                      Cornell University

Comment

Yep. And it's dangerous.

We could start with the military and our presence in the Middle East. How much infrastructure could have been already completed had we avoided the Iraq II boondoggle?

Comment

The DC Area - live within your means??
                          http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z4
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Texas Says Moses An Honorary Founding Father

Yeah...
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I'm surprised they didn't just say the Constitution, like the bible, was simply faxed down from heaven by God.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                They can't secede soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X