X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Sullivan wins AK. Now +8.

So who is going to pay goalie for the next two years and block the attempts of the other's excess? The President or the Congress?
    I understand why they're calling it, but there's still like 30,000+ votes to count.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Re: 2nd Term Part IX - How Lame is my Duck

So who is going to pay goalie for the next two years and block the attempts of the other's excess? The President or the Congress?
      Not sure we're going to see much excess from either side. It isn't like either has much of an agenda at this point. The real show is going to be the far right vs the farther right. Will they be smart and not fight in front of the voters, or will they immediately start jockeying for position and eating each other for breakfast.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Not sure we're going to see much excess from either side. It isn't like either has much of an agenda at this point. The real show is going to be the far right vs the farther right. Will they be smart and not fight in front of the voters, or will they immediately start jockeying for position and eating each other for breakfast.
        I think both the Executive and Legislative will try for one big one just to look good for their base and then we'll have finger pointing for a while before 2016 disease kicks in and both sides lose their sanity.

There was an interesting article a few days ago (forget where. Post?) that the recent mid terms deprived the Democrats of a succession plan. The in charge folks are getting there in age and the logical replacements that could be groomed are no longer in the congress.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

before 2016 disease kicks in and both sides lose their sanity.
          This assumes that our congresshumans still have any shred of sanity left.

Comment

There was an interesting article a few days ago (forget where. Post?) that the recent mid terms deprived the Democrats of a succession plan. The in charge folks are getting there in age and the logical replacements that could be groomed are no longer in the congress.
            That second point is interesting but it's double-edged. When you "lose a generation" it sucks at the time but it also inoculates the next generation from the sins of their fathers, both across party lines (when you're the minority you can just hurl brickbats, you have no meaningful record to defend) and within the party (with failing hands they pass the torch to... whoops... nobody. The next generation starts with a clean slate). I think this is one reason why parties are able to rebound fairly quickly. The incumbent party accumulates mistakes and the guys in power don't retire because they have the cherry committee slots. The opposition party sheds older members who have lost chairmanships and have no stomach for the diminution of their power, clearing the field. (It would be easy to test empirically: are majority parties "older" than minority parties?)
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Boston Globe is reporting that Elizabeth "Liarwatha" Warren will be put forward for a "significant" leadership post.

Whatever it is, Reid, Durbin, Schumer, & Murray are reported not to be going anywhere.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

That second point is interesting but it's double-edged. When you "lose a generation" it sucks at the time but it also inoculates the next generation from the sins of their fathers, both across party lines (when you're the minority you can just hurl brickbats, you have no meaningful record to defend) and within the party (with failing hands they pass the torch to... whoops... nobody. The next generation starts with a clean slate). I think this is one reason why parties are able to rebound fairly quickly. The incumbent party accumulates mistakes and the guys in power don't retire because they have the cherry committee slots. The opposition party sheds older members who have lost chairmanships and have no stomach for the diminution of their power, clearing the field. (It would be easy to test empirically: are majority parties "older" than minority parties?)
                Succession plan stuff is a decent point but somewhat irrelevant. Lets say Dems had a great 2014 election. Their strongest nominee in 2016 was still going to be Hillary Clinton regardless. Therefore, the next chance anybody would have on the national stage would be 2020 - 6 years from now and plenty of time to get the next generation of leaders up and running. This is not to minimize the fact that Dems need to get more representation in down ticket offices, and again need to put Dean's 50 state strategy back into place, immediately.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Boston Globe is reporting that Elizabeth "Liarwatha" Warren will be put forward for a "significant" leadership post.

Whatever it is, Reid, Durbin, Schumer, & Murray are reported not to be going anywhere.
                  Schumer thinks that when the Dems retake the Senate in two years he's going to be majority leader. I know, the capacity for self-delusion is strong in this one.

Murray has nowhere to go. She's the dumbest person in a Senate that includes Mountain Jim Inhofe.

Durbin is younger than I thought -- at 70 he's Barely Legal for the Senate.

Harry... oh, Harry. Isn't there somewhere that you'd rather be?

God I hope that silly Warren nickname is repeatedly endlessly on hate radio until they convince themselves it's effective. The contrast between her as a rare voice of substance and the knee-jerk, sophomoric reaction by the conservative wahmbulance will just underline how much the latter are punching above their weight.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 11-13-2014, 09:25 AM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Succession plan stuff is a decent point but somewhat irrelevant. Lets say Dems had a great 2014 election. Their strongest nominee in 2016 was still going to be Hillary Clinton regardless. Therefore, the next chance anybody would have on the national stage would be 2020 - 6 years from now and plenty of time to get the next generation of leaders up and running. This is not to minimize the fact that Dems need to get more representation in down ticket offices, and again need to put Dean's 50 state strategy back into place, immediately.
                    Not to mention that the Clinton people will cluster bomb all the Obama people out of any position of influence the moment She! gets the reins. The Clintons are many things, and one of them is vindictive as hell. By definition, if you took a position with Obama you were a traitor to the Divine Right Monarchy, and you must pay.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Not to mention that the Clinton people will cluster bomb all the Obama people out of any position of influence the moment She! gets the reins. The Clintons are many things, and one of them is vindictive as hell. By definition, if you took a position with Obama you were a traitor to the Divine Right Monarchy, and you must pay.
                      Don't think that's going to be as much of a factor. This recent election was hopefully a wake up call that you need all hands on deck. Besides, Obama gave Hillary a job to keep her relevant for the first half of his term, and his own campaign advisors (for his elections, not the off year ones) are far superior to hers.

Regarding the Senate, I'd like to see Lizzy Warren in the leadership (and Reid gone). Would rather have Schumer than Durbin as Leader as its a guy cutting his teeth in NYC politics vs a Reid/Daschle clone. Warren serves the Dean/Wellstone/Feingold void of keeping the liberals in line and voting Dem if they believe they have an advocate in the inner circle. Otherwise they stay home.

Lastly, following up on future leaders, I'm sorry to see Udall gone but some of the others (Begich, Hagan, Nunn, Landrieu if she loses as well as Gov candidates Burke in WI, the guy in AZ, Michaud in ME, etc) can make another go at it either in 2016 or the next governor's race whenever that is. Run a good race in a tough climate and don't embarrass yourself and you can set yourself up for another run in a more favorable climate. Many people (Jeb Bush, Charlie Baker, Jeanne Shaheen) lost races for offices that they came back and won next time around.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Warren should have a place at the table but she cannot lead it -- she is not a politician. Politicians are pragmatists before all else; Warren is on a mission. They should position her as the liberal conscience of the party, just as they should position Bernie as the liberal conscience during the nominating campaign. They can best serve as anchors to keep the leadership from straying too far from core principles in the quest to win elections. The GOP has dozens of guys like this who anchor the party without having any hope of being the leadership: the Orrin Hatches of the world. The Dems have been notably lacking in them, which is one reason for the absence of influence of the far left on the Dems as compared with the powerful influence of the far right on the GOP.

The correct Udall lost -- the pretty one, not the smart one. Tom's the real deal, and he has national aspirations. We're probably better off without Landrieu in the long run; she was weak sauce on important issues and I suspect that anybody with any tenure in LA politics is up to their ears in graft and cronyism, if not outright abuse of power.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Boy those Republicans sure are smart.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...-solyndra.html
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            Boy those Republicans sure are smart.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...-solyndra.html
                            $200M *projected* return per year on an *actual* capital investment of $16B. Gosh, I feel so stupid for not throwing my life savings at this fund...

In case you can't do math, that's 1.25% projected annual return.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              $200M *projected* return per year on an *actual* capital investment of $16B. Gosh, I feel so stupid for not throwing my life savings at this fund...

That's better than my savings account.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

I doubt the point was that this program is a tremendous investment. More likely, it's that this program is hardly the egregious waste of tax payer money that the conservatives have been screaming about the last few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X