X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part IX - How Lame is my Duck

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    I'm curious why the GOP establishment is still scared of another shutdown. Didn't we just learn that there aren't any consequences for being blamed for shutdowns?
    It makes Wall Street nervous. If it were just the poor who got screwed, they'd be on it like white on thugs.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm curious why the GOP establishment is still scared of another shutdown. Didn't we just learn that there aren't any consequences for being blamed for shutdowns?
      And what exactly didn't work during the last shutdown?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        I don't believe I made any comment on that. My point in its entirety was that the GOP was demonstrably blamed more than the President or the Democrats by the public but it didn't really cause them any harm.
        Last edited by GrinCDXX; 12-01-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I seem to recall the GOP making a lot of noise about WWII memorials being closed...but I'm sure I'm misremembering.

Comment

I don't believe I made any comment on that. My point in its entirety was that the GOP was demonstrably blamed more than the President or the Democrats by the public but it didn't really cause them any harm.
            It may have harmed them. Prior to the shutdown they had Congressional Dems on the run, but the shutdown gave the Congressional GOP something like a 7% approval rating and destroyed any chance they had of constructing a positive legislative platform. As it turns out, the Dems were paralyzed with Fear Of A Black President, but a more aggressive leadership could have seized the initiative and made the GOP eat it. After all, Obama figured it out -- it's sheer dumb luck for the bad guys that Harry didn't.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              I seem to recall the GOP making a lot of noise about WWII memorials being closed...but I'm sure I'm misremembering.
              Yes, they were mad because those shutdowns were done with the express purpose of upsetting people, and the Republicans took the bait. There was no cost to keeping those memorials open, and it actually cost the government more to close them, but it created a disruption that was visible to the public at large. The few services that actually were cut back during the slowdown were all services that the average person wouldn't ever see, so the impacts were neglible to the general public. That's why the memorials were closed to the public.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

As if the shutdown itself wasn't just posturing by the GOP.
                Last edited by Kepler; 12-01-2014, 04:08 PM.
                Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  The shutdown was a principled stand by the party that put two wars, a Wall Street bailout and a gift to the drug companies on the credit card.

Remember, 'Deficits don't matter (unless a Democrat is in the White House).'

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Yeah, mostly. But they could have played the war memorial shutdowns differently than they did, using them to their advantage. Instead, all the GOP did was holler and make fools of themselves.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The shutdown was a principled stand by the party that put two wars, a Wall Street bailout and a gift to the drug companies on the credit card.

Ding Ding Ding.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Not that facts are that important but the Wall Street bailout vote in early October 2008 was as follows:

Senate Republicans

34 yea
                        15 nay

Senate Democrats

39 yea
                        9 nay

Senate Independents

1 yea
                        1 nay

Kennedy didn't vote

House Republicans

91 yea
                        108 nay

House Democrats

172 yea
                        63 nay
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          Not that facts are that important but the Wall Street bailout vote in early October 2008 was as follows
                          Oh, for Pete's sake...

Those House GOPers were only able to do that because the Dems gave them cover. That was one of the great orchestrated votes of all time -- anybody who thinks party affiliation had anything to do with it (either way) has zero knowledge of how DC actually works.

Take a look at the Senate vote. Those are the rough percentages you would have seen in the House if it hadn't been fixed. That was a conspiracy of the center of both parties against the flanks: the good guys in that scenario were liberals and the hard core knucks, but enough were chewed off that they couldn't stop the bailout.

But here's the thing -- nothing prevents a future Congress from going back and imposing severe sanctions and regulations on the financial institutions that stole trillions from the country. So, you guys are in power now -- we should expect that any day from you now, right?
                          Last edited by Kepler; 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Oh, for Pete's sake...

Those House GOPers were only able to do that because the Dems gave them cover. That was one of the great orchestrated votes of all time -- anybody who thinks party affiliation had anything to do with it (either way) has zero knowledge of how DC actually works.

Take a look at the Senate vote. Those are the rough percentages you would have seen in the House if it hadn't been fixed. That was a conspiracy of the center of both parties against the flanks: the good guys in that scenario were liberals and the hard core knucks, but enough were chewed off that they couldn't stop the bailout.

But here's the thing -- nothing prevents a future Congress from going back and imposing severe sanctions and regulations on the financial institutions that stole trillions from the country. So, you guys are in power now -- we should expect that any day from you now, right?
                            I don't think party affiliation had anything to do with it. You're mistaking me for Priceless.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I don't think party affiliation had anything to do with it. You're mistaking me for Priceless.
                              I'm sorry. Tories have tried like hell to paint this as "Obama's Bailout" and you know that isn't true. He wasn't yet president when all this happened. Hell, he wasn't even President-elect yet! Remember McCain suspending his campaign to deal with the crisis?

The national debt, and an annual deficit, was a non-factor until a Democrat was president - then it became a life or death issue. It's funny the Tories are making such a noise about it, since the annual deficit keeps shrinking...you'd think they'd be celebrating Obama's success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                I'm sorry. Tories have tried like hell to paint this as "Obama's Bailout" and you know that isn't true. He wasn't yet president when all this happened. Hell, he wasn't even President-elect yet! Remember McCain suspending his campaign to deal with the crisis?

The national debt, and an annual deficit, was a non-factor until a Democrat was president - then it became a life or death issue. It's funny the Tories are making such a noise about it, since the annual deficit keeps shrinking...you'd think they'd be celebrating Obama's success.
                                And the GOP was summarily booted from all control of the federal government. It could have stayed that way for a while but hubris invaded the soul of the Democratic party and they overreached and were booted in 2010 & 2014.

Now let's see if the GOP had learned it's lesson.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X