X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part IX - How Lame is my Duck

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    It's been getting worse every year. They should do it like debates: please save your applause for the end.
    Where would you fit in three lights and a possible buzzer, though?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Where would you fit in three lights and a possible buzzer, though?
      On the VP's chair?? The buzzer especially.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Ginsburg summed up the puppet's drivel well: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...on_824179.html

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Ginsburg summed up the puppet's drivel well: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...on_824179.html
          The stick inserted in Scalia's azz does not permit him to drop his head.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Who bothers watching the State of the Union address anymore? It's been a long time since I've seen anything substantive come out of one. I guess it still has its place, but it's little more than a higher profile opportunity for the President to push his agenda again, which it sounds like is what he did last night (no surprise there).
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
              Who bothers watching the State of the Union address anymore? It's been a long time since I've seen anything substantive come out of one. I guess it still has its place, but it's little more than a higher profile opportunity for the President to push his agenda again, which it sounds like is what he did last night (no surprise there).
              I think I watched 2 of Obama's and 1 of Dubya's (anybody remember "Let's Go To Mars!"?). I agree it's become an empty photo op, not just for the president but also for the opposition to sit on their hands and pout.

The "place" it has is it's Constitutionally-mandated.

He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient;
              US Const. art. II, sec. 3, cl. 1

You'll have to give it in 2017, but don't worry, we've already got the text.
              Last edited by Kepler; 01-21-2015, 10:22 AM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's been getting worse every year. They should do it like debates: please save your applause for the end.
                Kermit the Frog Gov. Snyder tried this for his State of the State; it didn't work.

Comment

I think I watched 2 of Obama's and 1 of Dubya's (anybody remember "Let's Go To Mars!"?). I agree it's become an empty photo op, not just for the president but also for the opposition to sit on their hands and pout.

A president could show up, read from a newspaper or news magazine and fulfill the rquirements of the Constitution. The pols make a big deal out of it because it's free press. Free press = free agenda advertisement.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Can't he just send an e-mail? Providing information sounds pretty broad in its wording. Of course if we want to be strict to what the writers of the Constitution intended, they probably weren't thinking of e-mail!

I guess there was a day when the pols didn't go at it 24/7/365, but now the state of the union is just another partisanfest.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                      I guess there was a day when the pols didn't go at it 24/7/365, but now the state of the union is just another partisanfest.
                      Anything televised immediately becomes Honey Where Are My Pants? Pols actually do real work off camera... until the inevitable corruption that comes with opacity. Those are the two horns of the dilemma.

I think the best thing we could do with Congress is turn off the cameras. We'd still have the Congressional Record for those 3 people who care enough to do diligent oversight, and the Members would not have to spend every second thumping the tub for Cletus Spuckler.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 01-21-2015, 11:28 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• There is no requirement that the President appear in person to deliver the SOTU. However it's free air time and a bully pulpit. Who IS going to pass that up?

Email, a letter to the Speaker, or a handwritten note all meet the requirements.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          There is no requirement that the President appear in person to deliver the SOTU. However it's free air time and a bully pulpit. Who IS going to pass that up?

Email, a letter to the Speaker, or a handwritten note all meet the requirements.
                          I think Roosevelt skipped giving the speech one year during the WWII, but I might be mistaken. It would require a small amount of research, and I just don't care enough about the speech to do that.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Comrades, we must heed Obama's call to cast away divisive politics...but after we've reminded people again that Romney put dog on car. #SOTU

http://twitter.com/FoxNewsCommie/sta...96611320489164
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Comrades, we must heed Obama's call to cast away divisive politics...but after we've reminded people again that Romney put dog on car. #SOTU

Is everything still Bush's fault?

Comment

Ok, I'll admit it. I don't get it.

Is that supposed to be mocking Fox News by portraying what it would be if it were Obama's puppet instead of the GOP's?
                                Is it a conservative's attempt at humor by playing up the Marxist usurper dictator meme?
                                Both?

Whatever it is, it just isn't funny. Very few of those tweets even got a chuckle. It's just...bizarre.
                                Last edited by unofan; 01-22-2015, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X