X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part IX - How Lame is my Duck

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Tell me this is A Modest Proposal, please. Please?
    Which deadly sin is overcome by patience?

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      NPR covered this, this afternoon. It's actually an interesting case, it's a weird kind of challenge to the CA ideal that anyone who wants anything to be put on a statewide ballot can easily do so provided s/he gets the signatures on the initiative. The question at hand is whether CA will continue to allow anything to be voted on statewide, or form some kind of vetting process.
      There's already a vetting process. It's called the court of appeals. Remember what happened to Prop 8?

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        NPR covered this, this afternoon. It's actually an interesting case, it's a weird kind of challenge to the CA ideal that anyone who wants anything to be put on a statewide ballot can easily do so provided s/he gets the signatures on the initiative. The question at hand is whether CA will continue to allow anything to be voted on statewide, or form some kind of vetting process.
        I understand that, I was just asking whether the guy who created the ballot measure is trolling via satire or whether he's actually That Guy.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          So because I don't agree = I'm a bad parent.

If you people think teachers are "just teaching to a test" you obviously either a) don't have kids in school or b) your kids have a bad teacher.
          Thank you. Most of the things I hear people say about Common Core show that the people who say them know literally nothing about Common Core. I recently read an article written by one of the writers of the Common Core math standards. He tutors his kid at home, because the methods that his kid's school have adopted to teach his standards are terrible. People think they hate Common Core. In most cases, what they actually hate is either a false image that was sold to them that they bought completely of what Common Core is, or they hate the teaching methods used at their school. Common Core has nothing to do with teaching methods, but hey, you can't tell someone who already knows everything...
          Last edited by duper; 03-28-2015, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Regarding Common Core and No Child Left Behind - why do we need Federal involvement in education? Since DoE was formed, I don't think our education system or results have improved.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Regarding Common Core and No Child Left Behind - why do we need Federal involvement in education? Since DoE was formed, I don't think our education system or results have improved.

Because you don't want a situation where the Texas curriculum is Rick Perry is a) God, 2) the Holy Spirit or 3) Some Other Deity as a test question. Kids no matter where they go to school need some basic understanding of certain principles.
              Last edited by Rover; 03-28-2015, 09:12 AM.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Martial law activity in Florida. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153696627233835

Comment

Wasn't it created under Jimmy Carter?

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                    Thank you. Most of the things I hear people say about Common Core show that the people who say them know literally nothing about Common Core. I recently read an article written by one of the writers of the Common Core math standards. He tutors his kid at home, because the methods that his kid's school have adopted to teach his standards are terrible. People think they hate Common Core. In most cases, what they actually hate is either a false image that was sold to them that they bought completely of what Common Core is, or they hate the teaching methods used at their school. Common Core has nothing to do with teaching methods, but hey, you can't tell someone who already knows everything...
                    Nothing to do with teaching methods?! What the hell do you think are in the teacher's guides for Common Core?!?!?!

I'll give you that every kid learns a different way. Having the background that I do, I understand what they're trying to do. There has to be SOME sort of "compromise" with older methods that has resulted in the worst of both worlds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Because you don't want a situation where the Texas curriculum is Rick Perry is a) God, 2) the Holy Spirit or 3) Some Other Deity as a test question. Kids no matter where they go to school need some basic understanding of certain principles.
                      Readin'
                      'Ritin'
                      'Rithmatic

Plus, how to balance a checkbook, credit, home budgeting, applying for a loan, installing a light switch, changing the oil, basic plumbing, etc. You know, all those necessary life skills they don't teach you in school.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Readin'
                        'Ritin'
                        'Rithmatic

Plus, how to balance a checkbook, credit, home budgeting, applying for a loan, installing a light switch, changing the oil, basic plumbing, etc. You know, all those necessary life skills they don't teach you in school.
                        Hey, maybe they'd have money to teach those things if conservatives stop cutting taxes and cutting education budgets!
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Wasn't it created under Jimmy Carter?
                          DoE was only promoted to cabinet level under Carter. It was created in 1867, but for most of its history it was an office (like OMB).

The herpa-derps have been after it for decades for the usual reasons ("gol' durned gubmint!!11!")
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Nothing to do with teaching methods?! What the hell do you think are in the teacher's guides for Common Core?!?!?!

I'll give you that every kid learns a different way. Having the background that I do, I understand what they're trying to do. There has to be SOME sort of "compromise" with older methods that has resulted in the worst of both worlds.
                            Good point. After all, I'm just a public school teacher in a state that has adopted the CCSS. How would I know whether or not teachers are free to use the teaching methods that work best for them and their particular population of students? I will bow to your superior understanding of my work environment, and accept that I must use only those approved methods published in the government teaching manuals that I have somehow never heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                              Good point. After all, I'm just a public school teacher in a state that has adopted the CCSS. How would I know whether or not teachers are free to use the teaching methods that work best for them and their particular population of students? I will bow to your superior understanding of my work environment, and accept that I must use only those approved methods published in the government teaching manuals that I have somehow never heard of.
                              The more of Flag' s drivel I read, the more I'm convinced it's an act. And a bad one, at that.

Comment

Common Core is a state led initiative, not a federal one. Just sayin'.

Comment

Working...
                                X