Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the Fark 2: That Was... Interesting.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What the Fark 2: That Was... Interesting.

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Most people look at stuff like that and think "Crazy, dumbass Yoopers!"....

I see that, totally understand why they are doing what they are doing... And it makes me want to go back to the Yoop that much more
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

For those that say "the holidays come too early"

Last Wednesday, Nov 5, they started putting up the infrastructure for the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree (or "Holiday Tree" if you must...)

They brought in the tree over the past weekend and now have the scaffolding in place to remove the branches that don't quite fit right and to start putting up the lights and ornaments.

The formal tree lighting ceremony is set for Wed. Dec 3, but don't worry, you can buy your tickets in advance. *

http://www.rockefellercenter.com/wha...tree-lighting/

* just kidding, it's "free"
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Speaking of the holidays...
        Christmas stricken from school calendar

Rather than acknowledge a Muslim holiday on the school calendar, Montgomery County schools are removing all religious holiday references (Christmas, Easter, Yom Kippur) from the calendar. Seems extreme to me. I would think listing other holidays on the calendar would be good teaching opportunities. I'm the kind of person that looks at my calendar and sees British and Australian holidays and think it's interesting to know when they are and even find out what they are.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
        2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          Speaking of the holidays...
          Christmas stricken from school calendar

Rather than acknowledge a Muslim holiday on the school calendar, Montgomery County schools are removing all religious holiday references (Christmas, Easter, Yom Kippur) from the calendar. Seems extreme to me. I would think listing other holidays on the calendar would be good teaching opportunities. I'm the kind of person that looks at my calendar and sees British and Australian holidays and think it's interesting to know when they are and even find out what they are.
          My county. Single party rule and a school board who spends money like a no limit table at Vegas.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

They celebrate Christmas here an increasing then decreasing amount of intensity from late September to February. Christmas lights have been up on some homes for two weeks.

Comment

I think there should be a modern version of A Christmas Carol, where Scrooge is a miser as he resists any and all Christmas spirit from his employees and friends throughout the month of October, insisting Christmas celebration not start until December.
              BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Christmas lights have been up on some homes for two weeks.
                At one place we lived, it was so difficult getting the lights up, I never took them down again. Just unplugged them in January and plugged them back in again after Thanksgiving.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  At one place we lived, it was so difficult getting the lights up, I never took them down again. Just unplugged them in January and plugged them back in again after Thanksgiving.
                  Many homes/businesses in Alaska put their lights up in October and leave them up all winter, just because it provides some extra lighting to help cope with the darkness.

My personal rule: as soon as Santa Claus appears on screen in the broadcast of the Macy's parade, that is the start of the Christmas season. No sooner. Unfortunately, several businesses seem to be taking me at my word and starting the Christmas doorbusters Thanksgiving evening...
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    Many homes/businesses in Alaska put their lights up in October and leave them up all winter, just because it provides some extra lighting to help cope with the darkness.

My personal rule: as soon as Santa Claus appears on screen in the broadcast of the Macy's parade, that is the start of the Christmas season. No sooner. Unfortunately, several businesses seem to be taking me at my word and starting the Christmas doorbusters Thanksgiving evening...
                    One of the radio stations has already shifted to being the Christmas music station.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Yeah, I have one strip at my house in MN that never comes down. But here I'm talking about full-bore setups that are fully removed and reset each season. They love their celebrations. Hell Halloween is 3 days, but there's no treating and it's all about remembering (passed because they have actually passed, or past as in from before?) loved ones.

Comment

In my town the mangers go up Thanksgiving night. It's really wild to wake up to a hundred baby Jesuses where the day before there were just Steelers flags and pickups up on blocks. (Both are still there, and one guy puts his manger in the pick up, which I think it's the most American thing possible).
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Today in The Joy of Derp: the greatest thing about the outsized influence of actors and jocks in our culture is that really dumb people start to believe they understand things.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Best way to neutralize a term of hate is to co-opt it. c.f. "queer."

Great!

So you'd be on board if a tribe bought out Dan Snyder and kept the Washington NFL franchise moniker as "Redskins" and if a "Sioux" tribe approved restoring that name to UND, right? They'd be co-opting ...
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

"Tobacco and Sugar and Bacon, OH MY!"

“Having other adults decide what legal item we’re not allowed to consume just makes you wonder: If this passes, what could be next? Sugar? Bacon?” he said.
                              http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/11/1...sales-in-town/
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Great!

So you'd be on board if a tribe bought out Dan Snyder and kept the Washington NFL franchise moniker as "Redskins" and if a "Sioux" tribe approved restoring that name to UND, right? They'd be co-opting ...
                                For the "r" word, I think it has to be a little broader than just one tribe. The idea is that the group the hate is directed at decides that rather than treating the word as a stone thrown at a window, they take it back and use it as a boulder to crush the haters' whole house. That requires mass effort, as with "n" and "q." Those words are a big ol' f-u right back at the people who used those terms in hate. Native Americans could do something like that, but I don't have any evidence that they are doing so.

I never saw the problem with the Sioux, and all the TBRW tables where ND is mentioned have deliberately kept the old emblem, which I think is awesome. If that's what passes for a hate crime, we've pretty much reached Utopia. (Note: all old emblems are kept, because new things suck. I haven't found a really good Dartmouth Indian yet, but when I do...)
                                Last edited by Kepler; 11-13-2014, 02:41 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X