Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich university cadets 2014-2015

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    You need 25 players to run a full-up program that can protect against all of the things you mention. You don't need 28. If you needed 28, every D1 school (or at least the best ones like Minnesota) would be carrying 28.
    In the past 14 seasons, Minnesota has averaged only 21 players, with a range between 20 (3 times) and 24 (1 time). Coincidently, that is the number that can dress. Given the number of Frozen Four appearances they've had, there should be no reason it shouldn't work for other teams.

Their is an apparent belief among many on this board that huge rosters are necessary to both buffer against impact of potential injuries and presumably to incite "hunger" among players to work harder and compete for ice time.

In my experience, the opposite tends to happen. When players don't play, especially when they work really hard, they get frustrated. Human nature being what it is, it is quite often not the most talented and/or hardest working players who are awarded ice time. It is also likely for divisiveness to occur between the "haves" and "have nots", leading to chemistry problems.

I've seen many great teams on paper increasingly crumble deep in the season due to bad chemistry....and much lesser talented teams win it all due to exceptional chemistry. Roster size--and a recognition that all players play important though not always equivalent roles--are big factors in maintaining good chemistry. I don't think it's a coincidence at all that the majority of ranked teams last season had relatively short rosters.

Comment

I don't think we are comparing apples with apples when mentioning D1 vs D3 roster sizes. As I recall, Norwich finished 3rd in 2010, #1 in '11, and made it to the frozen our again in '12, and let's see... oh yea, #2 last season, all with large rosters so I guess the facts speak for themselves no? Seems to me Coach Bolding must be doing something right!

Comment

Originally posted by NU FAN View Post
        I don't think we are comparing apples with apples when mentioning D1 vs D3 roster sizes. As I recall, Norwich finished 3rd in 2010, #1 in '11, and made it to the frozen our again in '12, and let's see... oh yea, #2 last season, all with large rosters so I guess the facts speak for themselves no? Seems to me Coach Bolding must be doing something right!
        Well said. Ya lets compare D-1 National contender with 18 scholarship players to a D-3 military school in central Vermont. Plattsburg has two seniors from last year's title team (Gove being one) that were big contributors just decide not to play this year. Not sure what kind of numbers Houles carries but I'm sure he didn't see that coming.

Comment

Let's not forget what a major factor a school's cost is in a family's decision. If you're a very good player that is getting recruited by a lot of D3 schools, will you choose to go to a very good team like a Norwich or Elmira for less money than going to a Plymouth State or a Cortland State? Of course you will. There are some teams that will NEVER be good enough to get out of their own conference's playoffs to compete in the NCAA tournament and I mean NEVER because they don't have the same financial advantages as these other schools where the commitment to hockey is CLEARLY at a much higher level.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            Let's not forget what a major factor a school's cost is in a family's decision. If you're a very good player that is getting recruited by a lot of D3 schools, will you choose to go to a very good team like a Norwich or Elmira for less money than going to a Plymouth State or a Cortland State? Of course you will. There are some teams that will NEVER be good enough to get out of their own conference's playoffs to compete in the NCAA tournament and I mean NEVER because they don't have the same financial advantages as these other schools where the commitment to hockey is CLEARLY at a much higher level.
            Discussing this kind of thing is a touchy subject so lets just step back a little, say about when Norwich entered the league around '06-'07. Now, as I recall, Plymouth State came on board at the same time. Let's imagine that instead of NU picking up a few key players early on, it was PSU... they become competitive, make it to the big dance, and boom, now all of a sudden, everyone wants to attend PSU instead of NU or who ever else.

My point is that it involves a lot more than a little financial edge (if any). It requires getting started on the right foot, a total commitment from the school, a decent rink, dyed-in-the-wool coaching, a high quality educational institution, good location, supportive parents, and a prayer or two in the hopes of getting some quality players with leadership potential that walk the walk... I could go on.

Now I'm not suggesting NU is the perfect fit for everyone. Yes, it's a "dry" campus so one may lose a few to that but from a parental prospective, if I'm spending big bucks putting my kid thru college, that's probably not a bad thing.

Nice win for the NU ladies last night vs what turned out to be a really good team, well coached and one that holds a lot of promise in the future. The league needs these types of programs. Seems UNE ran out of gas the 2nd half of the game or NU picked up their game... probably a little of both.

Oh, and the feed was a little choppy as a result of malfunctioning 1st line equipment but it worked Tanner. I swear, you just keep getting better and better at your work. Keep it up!!
            Last edited by NU FAN; 11-08-2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Agree 100 percent on UNE. They worked hard and kept skating but they ran out of gas midway through 2nd on the big ice.

I was impressed with where they were at as a third-year program. No superstars but a lot of hard workers and grinders. They get a couple of top scorers in there they will compete for the upper echelon of the ECAC East quickly.

Another team that the ECAC East needs to add is Endicott. That program will be a quick riser. Mark my words.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Another team that the ECAC East needs to add is Endicott. That program will be a quick riser. Mark my words.
                I seem to remember you saying the same about NU when they were just getting off the ground so no need to mark your words here.

With no stream available (booo), by the looks at the box score, seems they did alright, if not a repeat of yesterdays game vs. UNE... maybe someone who was in attendance can expand on that.

I did notice Murphy got 2nd star of the game, and combining that with yesterdays game winner, sorta of got my attention. Let's hope she can keep it going!
                I see Ms. Robert also got the start (again). Interesting.

Comment

I seem to remember you saying the same about NU when they were just getting off the ground so no need to mark your words here.

With no stream available (booo), by the looks at the box score, seems they did alright, if not a repeat of yesterdays game vs. UNE... maybe someone who was in attendance can expand on that.

I did notice Murphy got 2nd star of the game, and combining that with yesterdays game winner, sorta of got my attention. Let's hope she can keep it going!
                  I see Ms. Robert also got the start (again). Interesting.
                  Norwich got severely outplayed in the last 10-15 minutes of the 1st period.

I'm quickly learning that this is not going to be a first period team by the looks of things. Norwich got a goal in the first minute on a beauty of a tip by Murphy and then they went lethargic for the rest of the period.

Robert made a couple of nice svaes to keep USM off the board. I'm wondering if not having the captain champagne there had any effect? She was with rugby today.

Taylor cross did a nice job leading by example though with 3 points.

Still waiting on the Goebel, Toews, Schwenzfeier, Tiberi, etc to get going.

NU certainly doesn't have the firepower they've had as of late but they might have the best goalie they've ever had in Robert and a bunch of hard workers that will grind games out like this one was.
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    Norwich got severely outplayed in the last 10-15 minutes of the 1st period.

I'm quickly learning that this is not going to be a first period team by the looks of things. Norwich got a goal in the first minute on a beauty of a tip by Murphy and then they went lethargic for the rest of the period.

Robert made a couple of nice svaes to keep USM off the board. I'm wondering if not having the captain champagne there had any effect? She was with rugby today.

Taylor cross did a nice job leading by example though with 3 points.

Still waiting on the Goebel, Toews, Schwenzfeier, Tiberi, etc to get going.

NU certainly doesn't have the firepower they've had as of late but they might have the best goalie they've ever had in Robert and a bunch of hard workers that will grind games out like this one was.
                    Totally agree with the 1st periods of the two games this weekend. With all the new faces, breakouts seem to be an issue for this team right now. Not used to seeing this team spend so much time in there own end. Trying not to get to carried away with Roberts, but she certainly is looking like a game changer. Norwich was lucky to not be down after the first in both games. This is going to be a fun team to watch. I don't see them blowing anyone out, but if the passing starts going tape to tape, there going to be scary with there speed and goaltending.

Comment

Discussing this kind of thing is a touchy subject so lets just step back a little, say about when Norwich entered the league around '06-'07. Now, as I recall, Plymouth State came on board at the same time. Let's imagine that instead of NU picking up a few key players early on, it was PSU... they become competitive, make it to the big dance, and boom, now all of a sudden, everyone wants to attend PSU instead of NU or who ever else.

My point is that it involves a lot more than a little financial edge (if any). It requires getting started on the right foot, a total commitment from the school, a decent rink, dyed-in-the-wool coaching, a high quality educational institution, good location, supportive parents, and a prayer or two in the hopes of getting some quality players with leadership potential that walk the walk... I could go on.

Thank you so much for the kind words! I am having a blast calling these games and am very fortunate to have the opportunity to do so. Thank you for tuning in

Now I'm not suggesting NU is the perfect fit for everyone. Yes, it's a "dry" campus so one may lose a few to that but from a parental prospective, if I'm spending big bucks putting my kid thru college, that's probably not a bad thing.

Nice win for the NU ladies last night vs what turned out to be a really good team, well coached and one that holds a lot of promise in the future. The league needs these types of programs. Seems UNE ran out of gas the 2nd half of the game or NU picked up their game... probably a little of both.

Oh, and the feed was a little choppy as a result of malfunctioning 1st line equipment but it worked Tanner. I swear, you just keep getting better and better at your work. Keep it up!!
                      Thank you so much for the kind words! I am very fortunate to have the opportunity and am having a lot of fun doing it. Thank you for tuning in
                      WDEV/NSN Color Analyst 2011-2014
                      NSN NU Women's Hockey PBP 2014
                      Follow Me On The Twitter: @Tannerace

2000, 2003, 2010, 2011 (W) National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Tjames View Post
                        Totally agree with the 1st periods of the two games this weekend. With all the new faces, breakouts seem to be an issue for this team right now. Not used to seeing this team spend so much time in there own end. Trying not to get to carried away with Roberts, but she certainly is looking like a game changer. Norwich was lucky to not be down after the first in both games. This is going to be a fun team to watch. I don't see them blowing anyone out, but if the passing starts going tape to tape, there going to be scary with there speed and goaltending.
                        Appreciate the "boots on the ground" prospective Tjames, and you are correct in that the breakout portion is needing a little oiling but with time, I'm sure this issue will be addressed.

Congrats to Ms. Robert on the goalie of the week award. Seems we are not alone in thinking she's getting the job done. For those of you who missed it, here is the link to the story... http://www.norwichathletics.com/spor...20141110qry6em

Comment

Good confidence building weekend for this young team with many freshmen putting up numbers in the box score. What a difference in the quality of the audio/video vs. NU's HD feed but hey, beggars can't be choosers. At least Plymouth had a PBP guy, although the color guy ended up talking over him more than I was comfortable with. We've been talking about school commitment and having a/v feeds (for free...hint hint Manhattanville) is a big step in the right direction.

I see Adrien polled in at #10 this week... is that a first for them?

Comment

Good confidence building weekend for this young team with many freshmen putting up numbers in the box score. What a difference in the quality of the audio/video vs. NU's HD feed but hey, beggars can't be choosers. At least Plymouth had a PBP guy, although the color guy ended up talking over him more than I was comfortable with. We've been talking about school commitment and having a/v feeds (for free...hint hint Manhattanville) is a big step in the right direction.

Adrian has been ranked before.
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Bolding and Leclerc did a nice job recruiting this freshmen class. The Joyce kid is doing exactly what she did with the Wizard program (putting the puck in the net) . Amato#2, is tenacious on the forcheck and the big defenseman #5 Tiberi skates well and is always looking to get pucks to the net. That's three areas of the game not every team will get out of freshmen. Still a long way to go and there still not breaking the puck out very smooth. The last few years they had D like Sharman and Guay that would just skate it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjames View Post
                                Bolding and Leclerc did a nice job recruiting this freshmen class. The Joyce kid is doing exactly what she did with the Wizard program (putting the puck in the net) . Amato#2, is tenacious on the forcheck and the big defenseman #5 Tiberi skates well and is always looking to get pucks to the net. That's three areas of the game not every team will get out of freshmen. Still a long way to go and there still not breaking the puck out very smooth. The last few years they had D like Sharman and Guay that would just skate it out.
                                Schwenzfeier looks like a vintage Joe Thornton out there racking up the assists.
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X