• Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU Bison

Congrats nephew. Pretty dang awesome.
    http://gobison.com/news/2016/7/21/fo...-the-year.aspx
    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by icehawk View Post
      Then why do you open this thread up? Your butthurt for everything NDSU is quite amusing though. Keep it up bud. Meanwhile I will be pulling for the Bison to win an unprecedented 6 national titles in a row.
      As an Iowa football season ticket holder I just wanted to see what you were spouting about that game. I could care less about NDSU, but when they're on the schedule, I'll be paying attention for three weeks..definitely not butt hurt..Enjoy winning titles at the JV level.
      Last edited by MavHockey14; 07-21-2016, 01:41 PM.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        As an Iowa football season ticket holder I just wanted to see what you were spouting about that game. I could care less about NDSU, but when they're on the schedule, I'll be paying attention for three weeks..definitely not butt hurt..Enjoy winning titles at the JV level.
        And there it is. Finally. The old JV comment. I'll go back just a 2 short years ago. Bison go into Iowa St to play the Cyclones and are down 14-0 right off the bat. Bison of course comeback and pound them with 34 unanswered points and win 34-14. First start for Wentz and it was just the start for things to come for the 2016 second pick in the NFL draft. Funny that same year the Varsity Cyclones come into the Hawkeyes house and win 20-17. How the hell does that happen from a 2-9 team? Anyhoo the Hawkeyes will be favored by at least 10 against the Bison unless the Bison come out of the gates 0-2 or 1-1 when they meet up. Anyhoo looking forward to the game. I'll be in section 125. Stop by and I'll buy ya a beer.
        Last edited by icehawk; 07-21-2016, 05:30 PM.
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

NDSU plays very good football, but the reality is that until they play a full schedule of top 20 teams they will never be able to say anything other than "we beat ______" last year. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is. Wisconsin has been pretty good in recent years, but they have had years when they have won a lot of games in a full Big Ten schedule but against teams in the weaker half of the conference and leaned come playoff or bowl time that they weren't that good. NDSU has a great tradition and a lot to be proud of, but outside of North Dakota they will always be seen as a big frog in a small puddle.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
            NDSU plays very good football, but the reality is that until they play a full schedule of top 20 teams they will never be able to say anything other than "we beat ______" last year. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is. Wisconsin has been pretty good in recent years, but they have had years when they have won a lot of games in a full Big Ten schedule but against teams in the weaker half of the conference and leaned come playoff or bowl time that they weren't that good. NDSU has a great tradition and a lot to be proud of, but outside of North Dakota they will always be seen as a big frog in a small puddle.
            Not going to disagree with anything you said but they are a little more known than you think. Back to back ESPN game days and after this season back to back games to open up the season on ESPN has exposed them more than any other FCS school and a lot of mid FBS schools. Not to mention the exposure Wentz has brought to the school. It's been a fun run and winning 5 consecutive "JV" championships has been great but obviously it can't last forever.
            Last edited by icehawk; 07-21-2016, 05:30 PM.
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

I agree. What I guess I'm saying is that if they played a full Big 10 or SEC schedule and won half their games, they would feel validated, and rightly so. But most of the teams in those conferences would be disappointed with such results. That is not to say they could not beat just about any FCS team on any given day.

As I said, NDSU's remarkable success is a credit to the program. I can't imagine a class of players in any league being able to say that they won more Natn'l Championships in 4 years than they lost games.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                I agree. What I guess I'm saying is that if they played a full Big 10 or SEC schedule and won half their games, they would feel validated, and rightly so. But most of the teams in those conferences would be disappointed with such results. That is not to say they could not beat just about any FCS team on any given day.

As I said, NDSU's remarkable success is a credit to the program. I can't imagine a class of players in any league being able to say that they won more Natn'l Championships in 4 years than they lost games.
                Respect your respect for the program burd. I know you are a UND fan and it's tough for most to say anything that resembles respect towards anything NDSU. I'm a fan of both programs and it was sweet to have each win a natty this year. May never see that again where they both win in the same year.
                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

And there it is. Finally. The old JV comment. I'll go back just a 2 short years ago. Bison go into Iowa St to play the Cyclones and are down 14-0 right off the bat. Bison of course comeback and pound them with 34 unanswered points and win 34-14. First start for Wentz and it was just the start for things to come for the 2016 second pick in the NFL draft. Funny that same year the Varsity Cyclones come into the Hawkeyes house and win 20-17. How the hell does that happen from a 2-9 team? Anyhoo the Hawkeyes will be favored by at least 10 against the Bison unless the Bison come out of the gates 0-2 or 1-1 when they meet up. Anyhoo looking forward to the game. I'll be in section 125. Stop by and I'll buy ya a beer.
                  Unfortunately you can't buy me a beer in the stadium, as there is no alcohol sold outside of the outdoor club and suites. (Above the mainstands on the press box side)

What NDSU has done is impressive and there is a clear winning culture that has been built there. However, FCS is a whole different ball game than FBS, clearly. It is JV compared to the Power 5 FBS. If NDSU played a full season in a power 5 conference, there's no way their depth would hold up.

My issue is that their fans think they can compete with anyone in the country and are so vocal about it; its become an arrogance thing. There's not one position group on the field NDSU is better than Iowa. That doesn't mean NDSU can't win, but so many Bison fans believe they're better and will win the game.. To me that's just ridiculous. Can they compete in one game a year against a lot of FBS teams? Sure. But they haven't played a top tier FBS team yet. I'm not a big score comparing guy, so I don't want to keep getting into that argument. Last year the team NDSU miraculously beat in the National Championship game, Iowa destroyed. This year's Iowa team is better. I just don't see how this game is all that close by the time the final whistle blows.

Another key factor is its week 3, not week 1. They're not able to put all of their focus from January to September on one game. Not to mention teams don't take NDSU lightly anymore.

I'd have far less issue with the fans and their obnoxiousness if they were exceeding at a high level in the Mountain West for example. However, to me if you want to beat your chest about how great your team is, play at the highest level.

(Iowa could be #1 in the country and ISU #120 and I would still expect a close game.. ISU has played exceptionally well per their standards against Iowa the last 15 years. So 2014 was a mediocre Iowa team playing poorly against ISU's best game. Just a bad football game. It happens. I'd still have taken Iowa over NDSU that year, FWIW.)
                  Last edited by MavHockey14; 07-21-2016, 10:51 PM.
                  AF 99

Comment

Who cares if Bison fans beat their chests? They've done something no school at any level has done in football, they can beat their chests all they want. It doesn't matter what level it is, it's incredibly impressive winning 5 straight titles. Trying to diminish it by calling them JV just makes you look petty.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Yes their are fans that think the Bison can compete with anyone but it's a small group. They are just more vocal and get on message boards like this and express it. In no way am I one of those fans. Idiots in every fan base.

By the way if NDSU ever went FBS they would gain I believe another 22 scholarships. That would definitely help their depth. I don't see them moving up and I hope they never do. Home playoff games and a chance to win a natty beats the hell out of some bowl game nobody gives a crap about. That and it would cost the school a ton of cash to move up.
                      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                        Who cares if Bison fans beat their chests? They've done something no school at any level has done in football, they can beat their chests all they want. It doesn't matter what level it is, it's incredibly impressive winning 5 straight titles. Trying to diminish it by calling them JV just makes you look petty.
                        Beating their chest about 5 straight is something to be proud of and one thing, but thinking they cons compete with virtually anyone in the country is another.
                        AF 99

Comment

Beating their chest about 5 straight is something to be proud of and one thing, but thinking they cons compete with virtually anyone in the country is another.
                          And it's a small but vocal minority that does that. No one with a brain thinks they could compete game in and game out but they don't have to. They win their one offs and then win titles and do it with far less depth than FBS schools. They don't sneak up on anyone but they still win, if that gives some delusions of grandeur..then so be it.
                          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Again it's a small minority that think that. Let it go bud.
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Yes their are fans that think the Bison can compete with anyone but it's a small group. They are just more vocal and get on message boards like this and express it. In no way am I one of those fans. Idiots in every fan base.

By the way if NDSU ever went FBS they would gain I believe another 22 scholarships. That would definitely help their depth. I don't see them moving up and I hope they never do. Home playoff games and a chance to win a natty beats the hell out of some bowl game nobody gives a crap about. That and it would cost the school a ton of cash to move up.
                              Of course they'd gain scholarships. However, it's a lot different ball game when you're trying to out recruit Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska regionally, not to mention compete with the 50 million dollars that each of those schools will be getting a year from their TV contract.

I've never been to the Fargodome but I'm sure with the loyal fans and great tailgate scene, it's a fun time. I know lots of Bison fans that accept it for what it is and love the hell out of it. That's awesome. That growing group of vocal fans though just makes me laugh because their arrogance leads to delusion. It's like a smaller scale of Nebraska fans that think their program can be consistently elite again; the 70's-90's are long gone now, 12 straight seasons with at least 4 losses. Never thought that day would come, but with how the sport has changed, they can't recruit nationally like they once did.
                              AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                Those seniors that graduated in 2014 won more national championships (4) than they lost games (3). That is unheard of.
                                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X