X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Thread V

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

#1 Star: Meghan Huertas, UMD
    ... but the true turning point of the game was Meghan's spectacular individual effort on the PK. Getting the play started, Huertas intercepted a pass intended for the right point. Fighting through the Buckeye defender, she converted the interception into a partial breakaway. Arriving at the OSU slot at the same time as another Buckeye 'D,' she faked a spin-o-rama move -- note the wow factor -- then turned in the opposite direction and steered the puck through the startled goalie. The dramatic goal gave the 'dogs a momentum boost they never really relinquished. Oh, and did I mention she beat both Schmitt Sisters on the same play? Now that's a rarity.
    The Huertas goal for anyone who wants to see what PGB is taking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFAdi-qTV8

Comment

Thanks again to CrankIt for posting the link. Much as I would have preferred a different result, it really was the key moment of the game, if not the entire weekend. FWIW, Huertas gave the Bulldogs their first lead -- after trailing or being tied for almost 100 minutes of hockey.

P.S. to CrankIt: Must spread.
      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 12-08-2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

New overtime rule?

So what do all you WCHA fans think of this new rule being used in the AHL? According to the league stats it has significantly cut down on the number of games being decided by shootouts, which I think is a good thing. Assuming the league is determined to have a "winner" for every game, this would be an improvement IMO. As an alternative, the other idea mentioned at the end of the article would be an improvement too, I think.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...1&c=y#continue
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Hate it - not as much as the stupid shoot out but it still does not reflect the efforts of the entire team.
          On the 'good' side the theory is that better skating teams should have an advantage at 4x4 or 3x3 and certainly better conditioning will pay off but someone needs to explain whats wrong with a tie before that would be enough to convince me.

How about this for an alternative: 1:30 clock time of first lines, 1:30 of second, 1:30 third and 1:30 of fourth. Total up the scores

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            So what do all you WCHA fans think of this new rule being used in the AHL?
            It may be okay for a pro league in lieu of a shootout, but I don't want anything like that in the NCAA. I like that the tie is still counted as a tie after a 5-min OT. Today, the shootout is only impacting he WCHA season, and at least it doesn't include anything that compromises the NCAA result by tampering with the rules for those 5 minutes.

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            How about this for an alternative: 1:30 clock time of first lines, 1:30 of second, 1:30 third and 1:30 of fourth. Total up the scores
            Many teams don't even have a fourth line, and nobody has a fourth set of D. Way too arbitrary and choppy for my taste, so I'd prefer the current 5-min OT that has no special OT rules.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

There's nothing wrong with a hard earned tied game. When you're on the underdog team that wasn't supposed to be able to compete with the "better" team and you just earned a hard working tie, you're proud of that point earned in the standings, and that's still a great part of the game. I guarantee the players and coaches of the underdog team don't see that game as boring or dull. To them it was an exciting game they'll not soon forget. Too bad if the fans don't like the final score! Stop trying to "fix" something that has never been broken in the first place!

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
              Last edited by shelfit; 12-26-2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                someone needs to explain whats wrong with a tie before that would be enough to convince me.
                look at the number of tied games in the WCHA mens the last year before it split

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                There's nothing wrong with a hard earned tied game. When you're on the underdog team that wasn't supposed to be able to compete with the "better" team and you just earned a hard working tie, you're proud of that point earned in the standings, and that's still a great part of the game. I guarantee the players and coaches of the underdog team don't see that game as boring or dull. To them it was an exciting game they'll not soon forget. Too bad if the fans don't like the final score! Stop trying to "fix" something that has never been broken in the first place!

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
                but I do agree with the above

IMO, anything is better than a shootout

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  It may be okay for a pro league in lieu of a shootout, but I don't want anything like that in the NCAA.
                  I was thinking only in the league (WCHA only) in lieu of going straight to a shootout after a scoreless 5 on 5 OT. I also said "assuming the league is determined to have a 'winner' for every game", i.e. they wouldn't go back to the old way of doing things where after a scoreless OT the game would end in a tie, with each team gettine a single point. Reverting back to the way it used to be would be my No. 1 choice as well.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Many teams don't even have a fourth line, and nobody has a fourth set of D. Way too arbitrary and choppy for my taste, so I'd prefer the current 5-min OT that has no special OT rules.
                    Yeah, that was bordering on sarcasm. I'd rather they went to a cointoss than a shootout. The cointoss would be quicker and just as meaningful. If you insist on it being game related have each coach seal a guess for total SOG in an envelope before the game. In the event of a tie the coach who guessed closest without going over gets the extra point.

Comment

• Re: WCHA Thread V

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      look at the number of tied games in the WCHA mens the last year before it split
                      I assumed that was a feature not a bug, just the boys preparing for life in the NHL where nobody cares enough to play hard every night.

Comment

What's the rush with trying to get an overtime done in 5 minutes? I just don't get that. Play 20, then tie.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          What's the rush with trying to get an overtime done in 5 minutes? I just don't get that. Play 20, then tie.
                          I think on the men's side, that is partially driven by TV. If you are going to play another 20 minutes, they have to resurface the ice. They don't want to have their viewers sit through a 15-minute intermission and then have somebody score on the first shift of OT. If it goes the full 20 minutes, then it runs over by about 45 minutes into whatever programming is supposed to follow. I guess the thinking is that if it is the postseason, then there is sufficient interest in the game to justify these inconveniences, but not during the season, when combined with the wear and tear of 80-minute games.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I've always felt a 10 minute OT would be the best approach. That amount of time allows teams to get into the same sort of rhythm as regulation, and if it's still tied after that then congrats to both teams on earning a point in the standings after such a hard fought battle.
                            Last edited by shelfit; 12-27-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I think on the men's side, that is partially driven by TV. If you are going to play another 20 minutes, they have to resurface the ice. They don't want to have their viewers sit through a 15-minute intermission and then have somebody score on the first shift of OT. If it goes the full 20 minutes, then it runs over by about 45 minutes into whatever programming is supposed to follow. I guess the thinking is that if it is the postseason, then there is sufficient interest in the game to justify these inconveniences, but not during the season, when combined with the wear and tear of 80-minute games.
                              This is 100% right. But this is the lady's side, why not give the fans the best OT system and bang for their buck. I'd be happy with 10 minutes tough, I agree it lets the teams get into a flow.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

If you are going to play another 20 minutes, they have to resurface the ice.
                                they resurface for a shootout, although sure, it's not a complete job

I agree with the others, extend to 10, if it's still a tie, congrats to both teams on their point they earned

Comment

Working...
                                X