Eric's Twitter
    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

• Re: WCHA Thread V

The weekend ahead:

Wisconsin @ Minnesota State

North Dakota @ Minnesota-Duluth

Ohio State @ Minnesota

St. Cloud State @ Minnesota State on Monday Feb. 2nd?
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
        This has to do with the previously mentioned fact that MSU has 10 regular-season games still to play in only 4 weekends. They have the Monday night home game against St. Cloud on the 2nd and another Monday game at St. Cloud on the 16th.

St. Cloud is idle over this weekend since they only have 8 games remaining and the MSU games account for two of them.
        Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
        Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
        Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

The weekend ahead:

Wisconsin @ Minnesota State

North Dakota @ Minnesota-Duluth

Ohio State @ Minnesota

The Sue/Dawgettes is an interesting matchup. The Sue are hot right now and if they can win 3 out of their next 4 they can claim a stake at being an ncaa team, since OSU and Bemiji haven't been willing to seize the opportunity.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            The Sue/Dawgettes is an interesting matchup. The Sue are hot right now and if they can win 3 out of their next 4 they can claim a stake at being an ncaa team, since OSU and Bemiji haven't been willing to seize the opportunity.
            Yeah...I think I wouldn't mind a sweep by the visitors in that one. NoDak really needs that and it would make things more interesting.

I expected Bemidji to cool off some in the 2nd half. If NoDak can't take the bulk of points in Duluth then I'd bet they, and the Buckeyes fight tooth and nail for the 4th place finish 'til the conclusion of the regular season.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Yeah...I think I wouldn't mind a sweep by the visitors in that one. NoDak really needs that and it would make things more interesting.

I expected Bemidji to cool off some in the 2nd half. If NoDak can't take the bulk of points in Duluth then I'd bet they, and the Buckeyes fight tooth and nail for the 4th place finish 'til the conclusion of the regular season.
              No, no, no, no, NO. As much as I hate the cheap stuff UMD pulls they are angels compared to the Friggin Whouix.
              Last edited by ne7minder; 01-27-2015, 05:01 AM.

Comment

UND Women Push Win Streak to Four
                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                Eric's Twitter
                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

An update on UND's Lisa Marvin from Let's Play Hockey -- On the road to recovery
                  Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                  Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                  Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                    An update on UND's Lisa Marvin from Let's Play Hockey -- On the road to recovery
                    Marvin described the injury, how bone was initially sticking out of her arm after the accident, and the first surgery in which plates were inserted into her arm. She may need bone grafts in the future.

“The goal is to get back to full strength. They said about nine months to a year for full recovery for the knee, and one year for the arm. There was also nerve damage, which they won’t give a time on.

“It’s definitely been a day-to-day process. I do want to play hockey again if possible. The doctors assured me I’ll be able to skate and run again.”

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                      “The goal is to get back to full strength. They said about nine months to a year for full recovery for the knee, and one year for the arm. There was also nerve damage, which they won’t give a time on.
                      I was badly injured & nerves were also cut during the surgery. It was the weirdest thing when they came back I was sitting on the sofa and all of a sudden I thought I had an accident because there was a warmth that just spread out across my leg. It took almost 2 years and it went from nothing to fully recovered in about a minute.

I hope she recovers OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                        I was badly injured & nerves were also cut during the surgery. It was the weirdest thing when they came back I was sitting on the sofa and all of a sudden I thought I had an accident because there was a warmth that just spread out across my leg. It took almost 2 years and it went from nothing to fully recovered in about a minute.
                        That is just wild.

Comment

I am looking at penalty statistics in the WCHA.

The least penalized team is UW with 97 penalties and no majors.

The most penalized team is UMD with 137 although they also have no majors, UND has the most minutes with 131 penalties for 290 minutes which works out to 2.21 minutes per penalty.

Ohio State has the 3rd fewest penalties -104- in the WCHA, but at 2.32 minutes per penalty they have the highest minute per penalty of any team. The only entity with higher minute per penalty is opponents of the Buckeyes. Opponents of the Buckeyes also have the 2nd highest number of penalties -138- (after UMD) of the opponent of any team in the WCHA. Ohio State games have the 2nd most number of penalties and the most penalty minutes in WCHA.

What does that mean? Though OSU does not take an inordinate number of penalties throughout their games, are the penalties they do commit particularly dirty and bait the opponent and cause them to take an unusually high number of penalties and throw them off their game?

Why are there so many majors in OSU games?

……………penalties….min….min per pen……..penalties per game……pen minutes per game
                          BSU………….118……..255………...2.16
                          opponent….109…….232………...2.13 …………………….227…………………………….. 487
                          MN……………..98………196………...2.00
                          opponent….113 ……..237 ………2.10………………………211……………………………...433
                          UMD…………..137……..274………..2.00
                          opponent…..140…….294……….. 2.10 …………………..277…………………………….. 568
                          MS-M………….136…….289………….2.13
                          opponent …..82…….164………….2.00………………...…218……………………………… .453
                          UND……………131…….290………...2.21
                          opponent…..101……202…………2.00……………………..232………………………… …….492
                          OSU……………104……241………...2.32
                          opponent…..138……331…………2.40……………………..242………………………… …….572
                          SCSU………….120……262………...2.18
                          opponent…..103……220…………2.14…………………….. 223……………………………. 482
                          UW……………..97…….194………….2.00
                          opponent…..130……271…………2.08………………………227…………………………… ...465

Hopefully, there aren't too many mistakes in here
                          Last edited by KTDC; 02-01-2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Not unusual in women's hockey for the highly skilled teams to take fewer--and less severe--penalties. Skilled teams can move the puck and have good speed, thus fewer "lazy" penalties like trips, hooks, etc.

Some teams do have some "hacks" playing that ring up more penalties and more major penalties. It only takes one or two individuals to increase the statistics of a team.

Even though I really don't much like Ohio State, it seems to me that the odd fact that they were able to tie mighty Minnesota is being faulted by some Gopher fans as "dirty" play, etc.

We have all seen games where the officials let things get out of control, either by making sure the marbles are equally distributed, or by missing the dangerous penalties and only call the ticky-tacky ones.

Most good teams will adjust to intimidating tactics by the opponent and will find a way to win those games.

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
                              Even though I really don't much like Ohio State, it seems to me that the odd fact that they were able to tie mighty Minnesota is being faulted by some Gopher fans as "dirty" play, etc.
                              No. Ohio State was called for a checking from behind major three minutes into the first game of the series. Two minutes after that, they picked up a bodychecking penalty for lining a player up from halfway across the ice and blasting her into the stanchion at the end of the bench. During the third period, one of their players tried to kick Amanda Leveille during a scrum but missed. Later in the third period, a Buckeye took a slapshot right at the goalie a good second and a half after an offsides whistle. In the ensuing melee their leading scorer was swinging her stick at people's heads until Brad Frost grabbed it from her. In the third period yesterday Sara Schmitt blasted someone from directly behind into the boards, injuring her shoulder.

And it's not a new thing. Remember, this is the team that got into a bench clearing brawl with Bemidji State last year. Three years ago, one of them dislocated Emily West's jaw with a forearm to the chin. There are other incidents and I've heard from fans of other WCHA teams about problems they've had with OSU.

This was no one's imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                This was no one's imagination.
                                It was most obvious on Saturday when they didn't play dirty for two periods. Plus to respond to Boomer nobody complained that BSU played dirty when they tied & beat "Mighty Minnesota" earlier this year. BSU did it by playing great defense & blocking shots like mad. OSU had a tremendous forecheck both days and I would say they played a great game if not for the constant elbows, fists, and stick-work, charging and checking from behind. We know at least 2 Gophers were injured badly enough that they were taken out of the game, thats not normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X