Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Thread V

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    PGB - I am usually 100% aligned with your three star selections and appreciate the fact that you take the time to do this. It is always well done and your selections take into consideration contribution and effort that does not always show up on the scoresheet. Well done.
    Thanks; I appreciate that very much.

Without a doubt, the first star of yesterday's game in my humble opinion was Stacey Danczak. She was outstanding from start to finish. A little rusty early on but settled in and played a superb game. As for ARD, few shots and not many of the difficult variety but she did indeed make a few saves. As for the rest of your selections and honorable mentions - bang on as always.
    I'm very open to that opinion, and don't take it as a criticism at all. Stacy was awesome. I seriously considered formulations that put her higher on the list.

Had I left myself the option picking individual stars last night, Stacy would have been alone at #2. I still say the Channell/Ryan goal was the play of the game, and needed to be at the top of the list. The #1 Star likely would have remained a tie, as the pass and the shot were both absolutely vital.

Admittedly, the "team theme" I chose for last night's game confused the issue a bit. The Badger Defense > The Buckeye Defense last night, though only by a little. That is why I had Desbiens/Burke one step above Danczak/Sadek.

In the end, I sacrificed a little bit of science for the sake of art. But I do think the 3 Stars are a better read when I can find a theme.

Comment

Pgb, I appreciate the fairness of the manner in which you always do your picks. I know it gets tough, particularly in a game where you feel your team did a great job and came out on the short end of the score, but you always show a proper respect for the outcome. Your selections make sense. For an example of a headscratcher, I hope this is a case of the three stars being chosen before the Syracuse rally, otherwise, it is homerism run amok:

http://collegehockeystats.net/1516/boxes/wpsusyr1.f05
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Pgb, I appreciate the fairness of the manner in which you always do your picks. I know it gets tough, particularly in a game where you feel your team did a great job and came out on the short end of the score, but you always show a proper respect for the outcome. Your selections make sense.
        Well, that's certainly the goal. Your thumbs up means a lot; I sincerely thank you for the support.

For an example of a headscratcher, I hope this is a case of the three stars being chosen before the Syracuse rally, otherwise, it is homerism run amok:

http://collegehockeystats.net/1516/boxes/wpsusyr1.f05
        Wow. That's not just homerism; that's asylum worthy. In other words: The selections, as a group, are irrational on their face.

I do have a theory as to what may have happened. At some rinks, the 3 Stars are chosen with the members of the media casting ballots. To make this happen, the balloting is done a few minutes before the end of the game. You'll know this, but many may not: When the final horn sounds, media people waste no time getting down to the interview room(s). At the same time, the final stats sheet is being prepared under time pressure. Start the voting after the game is over? Not happening. So my theory is that the ballots were indeed collected prior to the Syracuse rally.

In this specific circumstance, "democracy" is really too slow. Better to have a single person make the selections, IMHO. This is particularly true if the stars must be announced over the PA system before the fans leave the building. Employing a cumbersome system, prone to yielding ridiculous results, makes no sense. Destroy your credibility and even the good selections become meaningless.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, February 6th
          Wisconsin 2
          Ohio State 0

The Song Remains The Same
          The script was strikingly similar to Friday's. Another strong defensive effort; but a few clutch Badger breakthroughs gave us another Heartbreaker. Good Times, Bad Times at the OSU Ice Rink. This year we've seen our share. But you know what? I'll always care. All we can do is Ramble On.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial and Just For Fun

Wisconsin Honorable Mention: Ann-Renee Desbiens
          Only another shutout. With just an Honorable Mention, I feel like I'm taking Wisconsin's All-World Goalie a bit for granted. As is so often the case, ARD gave No Quarter. From here to Kashmir, there's no finer goalie.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: (tie) Cara Zubko; Lauren Boyle; Dani Sadek; Alexa Ranahan
          #2, #6, #8, #21. Numerical Order: A Fine Buckeye Tradition. The four member D Corps was small in number but mighty in heart. Dazed and Confused by the Wisconsin attack? Not in the least. Their staunch effort held the powerful Badgers largely at bay.

#3 Star: Alex LaMere, Ohio State
          Another great performance by a Buckeye Goalie. Both Alex and Stacy have grown a great deal this year; both did themselves proud this weekend. 35 saves for Alex today. Yes, the Badgers got the goals they needed. But the Levee never broke.

#2 Star: (tie)Emily Clark, Wisconsin and Sam Cogan, Wisconsin
          This time the insurance goal stayed the insurance goal. Coming early in the 3rd Period -- scored by Cogan, assisted by Clark -- it really took the wind out of the Buckeyes' sails. It was yet another Badger give and go play. Also note that Emily had a fine day in the face-off circle, winning 13 of 20 attempts. While I'm at it, here's a nod to Sydney McKibbon. The second line center was 17 of 24 on the draw.

#1 Star: Annie Pankowski, Wisconsin
          Not a news flash, but Pankowski is a difference-maker who creates danger all game long. In this tight series, a few key plays made an enormous difference. Annie's playmaking led directly to today's biggest.

On the GWG, Erika Sowchuk kept a Badger possession alive below the goal line, then moved the puck along to Annie. Erika then darted into the slot, which proved to be important. The dynamic Pankowski emerged from heavy defensive pressure along the boards with the puck. Meanwhile, Baylee Willhausen was crashing the net to Sowchuk's left, giving Annie two targets. Annie chose Baylee. Willhausen dutifully Planted the puck for the game-changing goal.

Next Up: Time To Turn The Page. Road Trip to Bemidji State.

Challenge For Fans Of Classic Rock 'N Roll: Can you count the number of Led Zeppelin references?

Comment

Pgb-Ohio, excellent job on the three stars this weekend! You know me, I am not into moral victories. There are no moral victories, you either win or you lose. However, I appreciate the effort and improvement our team has shown during the second half of this season. The girls played their hearts out this weekend. If they can duplicate that effort, I think they can get some wins in the last two weekends of the regular season.

Props to that Wisconsin team and coaching staff. Their defense and goaltending just might get them another National Title. They are that good. That defense just smothers you and you just do not get many quality scoring chances. While I am at it, I have to give credit to my Buckeyes, too, as they held Wisconsin to four goals this weekend. When the teams met in Madison last fall, the Badgers won by final scores of 7-0 and 8-0. Clearly, the Bucks have improved over the course of this season. Good luck to both teams for the remainder of the season.

Since this is a WCHA thread, I also want to say it was great this past weekend to read and see that Amanda Kessel was able to get back on the ice for the Gophers. Amanda was kind enough to take a picture with me during the 2012-13 season at the OSU Ice Rink.
            Last edited by osualum86; 02-08-2016, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              Wisconsin 2
              Ohio State 0

The Song Remains The Same
              The script was strikingly similar to Friday's. Another strong defensive effort; but a few clutch Badger breakthroughs gave us another Heartbreaker. Good Times, Bad Times at the OSU Ice Rink. This year we've seen our share. But you know what? I'll always care. All we can do is Ramble On.

Only another shutout. With just an Honorable Mention, I feel like I'm taking Wisconsin's All-World Goalie a bit for granted. As is so often the case, ARD gave No Quarter. From here to Kashmir, there's no finer goalie.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: (tie) Cara Zubko; Lauren Boyle; Dani Sadek; Alexa Ranahan
              #2, #6, #8, #21. Numerical Order: A Fine Buckeye Tradition. The four member D Corps was small in number but mighty in heart. Dazed and Confused by the Wisconsin attack? Not in the least. Their staunch effort held the powerful Badgers largely at bay.

Another great performance by a Buckeye Goalie. Both Alex and Stacy have grown a great deal this year; both did themselves proud this weekend. 35 saves for Alex today. Yes, the Badgers got the goals they needed. But the Levee never broke.

This time the insurance goal stayed the insurance goal. Coming early in the 3rd Period -- scored by Cogan, assisted by Clark -- it really took the wind out of the Buckeyes' sails. It was yet another Badger give and go play. Also note that Emily had a fine day in the face-off circle, winning 13 of 20 attempts. While I'm at it, here's a nod to Sydney McKibbon. The second line center was 17 of 24 on the draw.

Not a news flash, but Pankowski is a difference-maker who creates danger all game long. In this tight series, a few key plays made an enormous difference. Annie's playmaking led directly to today's biggest.

On the GWG, Erika Sowchuk kept a Badger possession alive below the goal line, then moved the puck along to Annie. Erika then darted into the slot, which proved to be important. The dynamic Pankowski emerged from heavy defensive pressure along the boards with the puck. Meanwhile, Baylee Willhausen was crashing the net to Sowchuk's left, giving Annie two targets. Annie chose Baylee. Willhausen dutifully Planted the puck for the game-changing goal.

Next Up: Time To Turn The Page. Road Trip to Bemidji State.

Challenge For Fans Of Classic Rock 'N Roll: Can you count the number of Led Zeppelin references?
              Read your first paragraph and immediately thought of this oldie (then for some reason I glanced down to the bottom of your article and read your question. There are no coincidences. This was before Zeppelin.)

And, great job as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnTqWq9ymA
              Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-07-2016, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Pgb-Ohio, excellent job on the three stars this weekend! You know me, I am not into moral victories. There are no moral victories, you either win or you lose. However, I appreciate the effort and improvement our team has shown during the second half of this season. The girls played their hearts out this weekend. If they can duplicate that effort, I think they can get some wins in the last two weekends of the regular season.
                Hope so, and think so. Selfishly, I'm especially hoping for points in the two home games. But will certainly take whatever good news comes our way.

Props to that Wisconsin team and coaching staff. Their defense and goaltending just might get them another National Title. They are that good. That defense just smothers you and you just do not get many quality scoring chances. While I am at it, I have to give credit to my Buckeyes, too, as they held Wisconsin to four goals this weekend. When the teams met in Madison last fall, the Badgers won by final scores of 7-0 and 8-0. Clearly, the Bucks have improved over the course of this season. Good luck to both teams for the remainder of the season.
                Agreed.

Since this is a WCHA thread, I also want to say it was great this past weekend to read and see that Amanda Kessel was able to get back on the ice for the Gophers. Amanda was kind enough to take a picture with me during the 2012-13 season at the OSU Ice Rink.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
                Link didn't work for me; probably because I'm not a Facebook member. But I'll certainly take your word for it. Nice item to have for any hockey fan, BTW.

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                Read your first paragraph and immediately thought of this oldie (then for some reason I glanced down to the bottom of your article and read your question. There are no coincidences. This was before Zeppelin.)

And, great job as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnTqWq9ymA
                I had no idea the Stones had recorded a song by the same name! It even had the "seen my share" lyric. Enjoyed the clip; thanks for taking the time to post that.

As for the Zeppelin references, you do realize that Good Times, Bad Times was actually the 3rd song mentioned in my post, correct? Overall, "planted" 8 songs titles and 2 band member names. Also, there's a bonus song title over in the series thread.

Glad you picked up on this. I know the music of the '60s and '70s is a little too old for some on the board. But what we now call "British Invasion" music will always be at or near the top of my list.

Comment

Pgb, for some reason, the link didn't work for me either (and it's my facebook page ... go figure), so I removed it. Love the three stars, and yes, I am old enough to get the references to Led Zeppelin and the other great bands of the 60s & 70s!

Comment

Wisconsin 2
                    Ohio State 0

1. The Song Remains The Same
                    The script was strikingly similar to Friday's. Another strong defensive effort; but a few clutch Badger breakthroughs gave us another 2. Heartbreaker. 3. Good Times, Bad Times at the OSU Ice Rink. This year we've seen our share. But you know what? I'll always care. All we can do is 4. Ramble On.

Only another shutout. With just an Honorable Mention, I feel like I'm taking Wisconsin's All-World Goalie a bit for granted. As is so often the case, ARD gave 5. No Quarter. From here to 6. Kashmir, there's no finer goalie.

#2, #6, #8, #21. Numerical Order: A Fine Buckeye Tradition. The four member D Corps was small in number but mighty in heart. 7. Dazed and Confused by the Wisconsin attack? Not in the least. Their staunch effort held the powerful Badgers largely at bay.

Another great performance by a Buckeye Goalie. Both Alex and Stacy have grown a great deal this year; both did themselves proud this weekend. 35 saves for Alex today. Yes, the Badgers got the goals they needed. But the 8. Levee never broke.

On the GWG, Erika Sowchuk kept a Badger possession alive below the goal line, then moved the puck along to Annie. Erika then darted into the slot, which proved to be important. The dynamic Pankowski emerged from heavy defensive pressure along the boards with the puck. Meanwhile, Baylee Willhausen was crashing the net to Sowchuk's left, giving Annie two targets. Annie chose Baylee. Willhausen dutifully 9. Planted the puck for the game-changing goal.

Next Up: Time To Turn The 10. Page. Road Trip to Bemidji State.

Love the references. (Bonus - Stairway To Heaven) You made it pretty easy by capitalizing...
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                      Love the references. (Bonus - Stairway To Heaven) You made it pretty easy by capitalizing...
                      Well done; and very true. Only Jimmy Page was a little hidden, as my "Next Up" was an all-caps headline, as is usually the case.

Thanks for playing.

Comment

Pgb, I appreciate the fairness of the manner in which you always do your picks. I know it gets tough, particularly in a game where you feel your team did a great job and came out on the short end of the score, but you always show a proper respect for the outcome. Your selections make sense.
                        Just quickly revisiting this: There are times when a member of the losing team can be selected as the #1 Star without disrespecting the outcome. A recent game from MN High School Hockey provides a nice illustration.

Apple Valley goalie Taylor Deforrest made 111 saves over the course of a 6 OT loss to East Ridge. The East Ridge goalie made 38 saves. The previous record for saves in an OT game for MN HS Girls was 59, in a game of similar length.

Under these circumstances, it might make perfect sense to make Taylor the #1 Star, while giving #2 and #3 to East Ridge.

Comment

There are times when a member of the losing team can be selected as the #1 Star without disrespecting the outcome.
                          Agreed, and the person doesn't have to do something Herculean. It's just odd for the winning team to get no stars, especially the person who scores the OT goal. I agree also with your description of what likely happened; I just think that somebody has to veto the vote at that point and pick stars that make sense for the change in outcome.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Agreed, and the person doesn't have to do something Herculean. It's just odd for the winning team to get no stars, especially the person who scores the OT goal. I agree also with your description of what likely happened; I just think that somebody has to veto the vote at that point and pick stars that make sense for the change in outcome.
                            Or simply list the results as "Unavailable" if making substitute selections is uncomfortable.

Agree with you 100% on the need for veto power. It makes no sense to publish something that will hold the process up for ridicule.

Comment

To avoid saying that I'm favoring one team or the other in this upcoming weekend's series (though, of course, I am ), I'll just drop this here.

Players of the Week - February 16
                              Offense: Dani Cameranesi, Minnesota (3G, 2A vs. UMD)
                              Defense: Courtney Burke, Wisconsin (1G, 5A vs. MSU)
                              Rookie: Sophia Shaver, Wisconsin (3A, +5 rating vs. MSU)
                              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

For the wcha final 4, I assume WI will be the home team and use the home bench, correct? I am pondering a trip out there and would like to sit behind the UW bench, though all the rodent fans probably have snatched those seats up weeks/months ago. Otherwise maybe I'll do the GA to be flexible on where I want to sit. Thanks.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X