WCHA Thread V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Thread V

Regarding the attendance at Ridder Arena on Friday night, my opinion is that the university is clueless when they schedule the men's and women's hockey home games to overlap. It makes attending both difficult at best, and I'm sure there are some folks (maybe not many, but "some") whom would normally come to Ridder but are scared away by the traffic and parking situations.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
      Regarding the attendance at Ridder Arena on Friday night, my opinion is that the university is clueless when they schedule the men's and women's hockey home games to overlap. It makes attending both difficult at best, and I'm sure there are some folks (maybe not many, but "some") whom would normally come to Ridder but are scared away by the traffic and parking situations.
      It's always been a pet peeve of mine, and it seems to be worse since the Gopher men joined the Big Ten Conference. Their schedule was not finalized until very late, and the main reason why had to do with television, now that BTN is in the picture in addition to FSN and ESPN-U. When it was just FSN life was much simpler, as game times were almost always at 7:07 CT. Now, much like college football, game times can vary quite a bit (like tonight, an 8:00 start).

As this appears to be the rule rather than the exception going forward, it's too bad the women's games couldn't be scheduled so as not to conflict so much with the men's. But doing so is made difficult by virtue of the fact that the women start their season earlier, and they and other teams need to set their own schedules in advance too. I guess I just need to learn how to accept the present less-than-ideal situation and adjust accordingly.

With respect to parking, the combined attendance tonight was 11,238 (9,579 men's + 1,659 women's). With the game times just an hour apart, this did put a lot of pressure on nearby parking lots.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Regarding the attendance at Ridder Arena on Friday night ...
        it looks like the big difference between the two games was there were a lot of families and kids on Saturday, so you are probably right,

my opinion is that the university is clueless ...
        I've gotten exactly 2 emails over the years regarding GWH and NO info about season tickets

Bucky Badger sends me an email about every 2 weeks telling me whats going on at UW

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          I've gotten exactly 2 emails over the years regarding GWH and NO info about season tickets
          After last season I tried to increase my season ticket order from 2 to 4 seats. Eventually I was informed that there just were NOT any season tickets available anywhere near where I now sit.

Meanwhile, neither of the two seats next to us has been occupied even a single time yet this season.

No clue.
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
            After last season I tried to increase my season ticket order from 2 to 4 seats. Eventually I was informed that there just were NOT any season tickets available anywhere near where I now sit.

Meanwhile, neither of the two seats next to us has been occupied even a single time yet this season.

No clue.
            Yes, when we got our season tickets they claimed there were only scattered pairs and singles. But the whole row in front of the seats we sit in (not our assigned corner seats) had been vacated by season ticket holders that moved across the arena. This year they offered us a ton of choices when we said we wanted to move. I have no idea WTH goes on in the ticket office.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              Yes, when we got our season tickets they claimed there were only scattered pairs and singles. But the whole row in front of the seats we sit in (not our assigned corner seats) had been vacated by season ticket holders that moved across the arena. This year they offered us a ton of choices when we said we wanted to move. I have no idea WTH goes on in the ticket office.
              What is confounding to me is that I am TRYING to spend some money, I WANT to contribute to overall athletic department revenue. The complete confusion on their end indicates to me that they are just not the slightest amount interested in taking my money.

This is a business model which leaves me baffled.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                With respect to parking, the combined attendance tonight was 11,238 (9,579 men's + 1,659 women's). With the game times just an hour apart, this did put a lot of pressure on nearby parking lots.
                Mariucci is across the street from TCF Bank with Ridder just behind Mariucci. TCF seats 50k+. Are there lots not available for hockey that are available for football, because last hockey game I went to I parked right next to the Bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Mariucci is across the street from TCF Bank with Ridder just behind Mariucci. TCF seats 50k+. Are there lots not available for hockey that are available for football, because last hockey game I went to I parked right next to the Bank.
                  Yes. There are also more distant lots that are used for football, with shuttle buses running between them. That said, I suspect that there was something else going on on campus this weekend because the ramps were unusually full.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                    Yes. There are also more distant lots that are used for football, with shuttle buses running between them. That said, I suspect that there was something else going on on campus this weekend because the ramps were unusually full.
                    On Friday when we came out after the game while the men's game was still in progress I was stunned to see that the 4th Street ramp was posted as full. 11 years season ticket holder, several games per season prior to that, I have never previously seen the 4th Street ramp posted as full.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      On Friday when we came out after the game while the men's game was still in progress I was stunned to see that the 4th Street ramp was posted as full. 11 years season ticket holder, several games per season prior to that, I have never previously seen the 4th Street ramp posted as full.
                      For the first time I bought a men's season parking pass this year for the North lot. It's already come in handy for the four games this weekend.

Nice crowd for the women's game today: 2,496! And that made 4,155 for the weekend.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Recaps from the latest weekend:

http://www.wcha.com/women/index.php

O+P+o+t+W=22
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

St. Cloud State @ Ohio State

Minnesota State @ Minnesota-Duluth

Bemidji State @ Minnesota

Wisconsin @ North Dakota

Full WCHA mode for the weekend ahead. Who sweeps, who splits, who celebrates and who laments shootout results.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Wisconsin is missing Turnbull and Emily Clark both games and Pankowski 2nd game. UND missing Kryzaniak.

Dangerous for UW. I think UND is still a good team defensively despite Saturday's game, although somewhat challenged offensively. I still think UND is capable of biting people.

Comment

I'm a little heavy on the Wisconsin posting lately, but I saw a cool video of Katy Josephs making a basket from half court on the annual "Make Bo Pay" day.

So, I guess Bo Ryan pays $1000 to cancer research for Katy's shot. Nice cheer and great smile when the shot goes in!

http://www.snappytv.com/snaps/josephs_halfcourt_i4ytad
                              Last edited by KTDC; 10-28-2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Brookyone got it right. Players of the week: http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1415/201410/oct28wpw.php

Comment

Working...
                                X